HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am 

Hi everyone, my Mattamy cookie-cutter semi is almost 12 years old, and all my faucets deliver hot water except for one of my showers, which is lukewarm suddenly.

I don't think it's the basement mixing valve because the other faucets are fine.

I replaced my shower cartridge with an original Delta unit, ad adjusted the toothed wheel to the hottest setting before allen-keying the handle back on. No help.

Anyone experience this, then eventually found a resolution? Could it be the faucet itself that needs replacement, or more likely the shower mixing valve, which I believe would require the breaking through of the tile? Any insights appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm 

That sounds weird, and I’m no plumber, but my pants are a bit loose around the waist sometimes. If it’s the original delta unit, then it doesn’t have a mixing valve, only a cartrage. The only thing I can think of is maybe your handle is not turning all the to hot anymore?like it’s striped or something ? Did you try letting run on hot for a few minutes? Hopefully a plumber or home inspector will chime in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:42 pm 

Did you open the hot water supply line all the way after changing the cartridge???

"the toothed wheel to the hottest setting" are you sure? Maybe you turned it the wrong way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:07 am 

If it happened after the cartridge change, it's probably the cartridge... Setting is wrong, or a faulty cartridge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:03 pm 

may be to change the cartridge again to see if it works?

Anyway if you hire a plumber, I would imagine this is what he will do first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm 

My 12 year old mattamy showers use delta carts. Ive replaced them the carts have a max hot water setting. the default is luke warm. look at your cart, set it that when you turn the valve to hot it can go further. you will notice its adjustable they ship at min i set mine to max after the same experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 pm 

Thx for the insights, everyone.

I do have it at max hot, and it's still only lukewarm. It's fool-proof because if you set it halfway, the handle will only turn halfway and then stop.

Something nutty going on here. I do have a 2nd back-up cartridge I will try this weekend, but I'm starting to think it might be something more sinister.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:20 pm 

Serious question, could you have something clogged somewhere?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 am 

Not being a smart ass just trying to help the cart has a hot and cold side. hot side should be on left.

if put backwards initial open would be hot all the way open would be luke warm.

This is probably not your problem but trying to help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 pm 

007 wrote:
Not being a smart ass just trying to help the cart has a hot and cold side. hot side should be on left.

if put backwards initial open would be hot all the way open would be luke warm.

This is probably not your problem but trying to help.

Thx James Bond for your insights, def H was on the left as i noted how the old one came out.

I cant see there being a blockage bc the flow is otherwise quite good. Maybe there is, but from what, I wonder.

I'll live with it for now as its still tolerable, just different. If it gets cooler, I'll seek professional intervention. Thx all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:19 pm 

Hey everyone, just an update, it turned out to be my mixing valve. Pretty sucky, but goodness gracious, it's nice to be able to take a hot shower again.

Thanks for the help everyone, best wishes for 2018. I called Reliance, then they confirmed it wasn't a broken dip tube, and deemed it to be the mixing valve.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:35 am 

^ Good to hear Alpha. Warm showers are especially important in the winter :)

And yes, if it was the water heaters dip tube then the hot water throughout the house would have been effected.

HaPpY nEw YeAr to you as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 am 

What is a typical cost to get the mixing valve at the tank replaced?

Ours sometimes get stuck and we end up with lukewarm water from all faucets (not just one specifically). I remember Fred D on this forum posted that sometimes quickly opening and closing a larger output faucet like in a bathtub a couple of times on/off/on/off can free it. That has actually worked every time and restores hot water house-wide. It rarely happens, maybe twice a year but I'd like to replace it to avoid that in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 pm 

nspace wrote:
What is a typical cost to get the mixing valve at the tank replaced?

Ours sometimes get stuck and we end up with lukewarm water from all faucets (not just one specifically). I remember Fred D on this forum posted that sometimes quickly opening and closing a larger output faucet like in a bathtub a couple of times on/off/on/off can free it. That has actually worked every time and restores hot water house-wide. It rarely happens, maybe twice a year but I'd like to replace it to avoid that in the future.

I saw last week Honeywell at $129 plus taxes. Installation is extra around $75-$100.00 plus taxes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm 

Thanks Carl!