HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:39 pm 

The GTAA is holding an open house on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019 6:30-8:30 at the Senior Center, 500 Childs Drive. The open house will be an opportunity for residents to ask questions about the disruptive, low flying, polluting aircraft flying over our community. Air traffic Controllers will be there and can discuss aircraft noise over your home.

A petition with over 600 signatures was presented to the Town requesting permanent noise monitoring terminals(NMTs), which Halton Hills, Oakville and Mississauga have had for many years. The NMTs provide dB levels of aircraft on a 24/7 basis and monthly reports are available. It doesn't appear as if Councillors want to bring the petition to Council for discussion since repeated requests to have this matter go to Council have been ignored.

In Dec. 2018-Jan. 2019, 6 areas in Milton had temporary noise monitoring by the GTAA. All areas had noise levels as high as 78 dB, which match the noise levels in Halton Hills and Oakville. The GTAA did not do the same analysis as was done for Halton Hills and Oakville (using maximum dB levels of arriving aircraft vs averaging data for Milton) and, as a result, the GTAA has stated Milton does not qualify for NMTs. However, when the same analysis is performed on the data as for Halton Hills and Oakville, Milton is experiencing the same high dB noise levels from aircraft. Councillors have been made aware of this discrepant analysis, but appear to want to accept the distorted GTAA analysis.

It's disappointing that Council is supporting the GTAA and not Milton residents.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:44 am 

I'm curious to know how adding monitors to Milton will give any additional useful information from that already gained from Oakville and Halton Hills? Also, what will this data be used for?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 pm 

Hello:
The permanent NMTs located in Oakville and Halton Hills aren't valid for the aircraft noise in Milton.
For example, downwinds, fly away from the airport due to inadequate capacity,etc. to make a straight landing. These downwinds fly over Oakville at a higher altitude than over Milton. They fly as far west as Campbellville and then U turn and align with the west-east runways. All the time, they are descent mode. They are flying at a lower altitude over Milton than Oakville.

This data is indispensable when residents phone in noise complaints. The only data that can be obtained from Web Trak is altitude and not the dB levels of these low-flying aircraft. As well, the noise data from the monitors can be used to assess the effectiveness of the mitigating strategies being implemented by the GTAA. Currently, residents have expressed concern that the mitigating strategies implemented by the GTAA are not working. Having noise data will provide objective data.

Georgetown and Oaville have noise monitors in their communities, so why not have them in Milton?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:32 pm 

" Having noise data will provide objective data." To what end, you can't change wind direction, you can't change air pressure, you can't move Milton and you can't move the airport. I for one have never had a problem with aircraft noise, it's drowned out by tire noise from the 401.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 pm 

No need for monitoring airplane noise in central Milton and at the west side of Milton but from our living room window we see lots of planes headed towards the airport while flying over the east end of Milton.

We get more noise from small planes flying to and from the small airport south of town. No problem though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:06 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
No need for monitoring airplane noise in central Milton and at the west side of Milton but from our living room window we see lots of planes headed towards the airport while flying over the east end of Milton.

We get more noise from small planes flying to and from the small airport south of town. No problem though.

Hello:
The planes you see are probably arrivals and they are the noisiest compared to departures. most of these aircraft are flying from the west toward the west-east runways at Pearson. They fly out to as far out as Campbellville at the North end and South end and then U turn and fly over urban Milton. The areas most affected by noise are along St. Laurent, Main Street, and Home Depot area.

Go to WEB TRAK - Pearson Noise Complaint. You can see aircraft in almost real time and you can see aircraft from past days. Go to November 11, 2019 and you can get an idea of the aircraft over our community.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:12 pm 

I still am confused as to what you hope to accomplish?
Milton is on the flight path. Planes will be in the circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:29 am 

Stargazer2009 wrote:
I still am confused as to what you hope to accomplish?
Milton is on the flight path. Planes will be in the circuit.

Nav Canada changed flight paths resulting in far more noise to us (and other far more vocal communities in the area)

Complaints effect what they can do and make changes when communities are vocal enough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:38 pm 

Looking at Nav Canada, I see that Milton is still the same as it has been in the past and that the changes proposed for any noise variation would be minimal at best.
The every other weekend removes the noise half the time and a continuous decent slope still puts the aircraft over Milton but maybe 1000 feet higher.
Changing the glide slope from 3 degrees to 3.2 means 172 feet of height at 8 NM and we are about 11 NM from the runway, so maybe 250 feet of height more.
Having the airlines change the A320 to make it quieter, would cut down on some of the noise, but only on those particular planes.
Like I have said before, I've been in Milton a long time and looking out my window at the planes in the flight path is pretty much the same.
Looking at their night time plan, I say move to Georgetown as the plan takes them away from there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:02 pm 

Stargazer2009 wrote:
Looking at Nav Canada, I see that Milton is still the same as it has been in the past and that the changes proposed for any noise variation would be minimal at best.
Like I have said before, I've been in Milton a long time and looking out my window at the planes in the flight path is pretty much the same.
Looking at their night time plan, I say move to Georgetown as the plan takes them away from there.

Two major changes have happened in past decade so seriously questioning the part about "pretty much the same"
One was due to changes in policy which screws everyone, one was due to another more vocal city pushing additional traffic to us

And that's not even taking into account the growth the Toronto area has had which in turn equals far more flights in / out of Pearson
2018 had 50 million passengers, that is an increase of more than 10 million in last 4 years alone, almost 20 million increase since 2008
Its insanity to claim the air traffic is "pretty much the same"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:33 pm 

Yes the amount of flights has increased. A bigger population in the GTA results in more flights.
I was commenting on the flight paths. Watching the planes, they have always been in the predictable flight path.
Nothing in their path through the sky has seems to have change.
For flights departing Pearson, few are over Milton. It's the arrivals that come in over us.