HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:09 pm 
Parts of Quebec know have a bigger blue bin with a lid (like the compost but bigger). I think that would make a huge difference in the paper blowing around the area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:30 pm 

In our house there is myself, my wife and large dogs

We have about 4 to 5 bags of garbage every two weeks. (one is usually dog poop LOL).

We usually have 1 or 2 recycle bins full.

We have never reached our 6 bag limit so we have never had the need to resort to the green cart program.

the green cart itself is great for the back yard, we put a bag in it and use it to collect dog poop, when full put the bag out with the garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:55 pm 
How in the world do two adults create that much garbage in 2 weeks time??? There's 3 adults in our house and we rarely put out more than 1 garbage bag in 2 weeks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 pm 

Gotta agree with MiltonResumes here......were a family of three and have MAX 2 bags evey 2 weeks.

Always baffles me when I see 4 plus bags of garbage at the end of peoples driveways every 2 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:30 pm 
I re-read what I wrote and want to clarify, in case anyone thinks I was trying to start something, that I am merely curious how that much garbage is created by two people. From living in NS, we had compost and recycling pickup for longer than I remember so it is nice to see that ON is finally starting to catch up as far as reducing waste goes. They still don't allow as much recycling as could be done here, which is an annoyance in itself. Honestly, even for a family I don't think the limit should be any higher than 3 bags of garbage for the two weeks. Some places are only allowed 1 bag a week... It would certainly encourage people to start using their recycling and green bins more actively. It is nice to see the green bins out on the curbs each week and knowing that people are using the program but there is still a lot more which Milton can be doing to lower the amount of waste being created.

The mindset that you need to be putting out 6 bags of garbage before you start using the green bin is not the right one. I know that green bin items are going to break down in the dumps so it's not the same as throwing plastic bottles or aluminum cans in the garbage, but the point of those green bins is to divert waste from the dump. Paul, try this little experiment after the next garbage day and then tell us how many garbage bags you are putting out for the one after that. All you need to do is put all the compostable and organic matter in the green bin for the two weeks and not in your garbage. I'm just curious as to how much you would be diverting from the dump... Of course I won't be around to see the answer as I'm departing for the west coast shortly, but it's still a good experiment to try if you are up for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:37 pm 

There's 2 recycle bins at the curb now.

4 bags, 3 are full, one is a half bag (but all dog poop) lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:31 pm 

It is disappointing you don't see the value in participating in the green cart program. It is unfortunately people like you that cause the town to restrict the # of bags to encourage people out of bad habits.

ppst99 wrote:
We have never reached our 6 bag limit so we have never had the need to resort to the green cart program.

the green cart itself is great for the back yard, we put a bag in it and use it to collect dog poop, when full put the bag out with the garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 pm 
People are really sad, AND EVERYONE CUT YOUR GRASS THIS YEAR AND PULL OUT YOUR WEEDS SO THEY DONT GROW INTO LITTLE TREES :D PLEASE :D take care of the area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:21 pm 

Hi Synergy and other posters

Yes the Town is working on more enforcement of littering. Last week at the committee meeting I requested staff to review the 1991 littering by-law and step up enforcement which the committee agreed on as our engineering staff is doing weekly pickups on streets such as Louis St. Laurent Blvd. If you do see people dumping please take their licence plates and call the Town either at 905-878-7252 during the day or 905-878-7141 after hours and weekend line.

Monday night committee also approved the accelerated the design and construction of the next section of Louis St. Laurent from Yates to Highway #25 in the next year which will increase the traffic and make it more difficult for anyone to stop and dump, as the design will be similar to Thompson Road and Derry Road with curbs and sidewalks linking the area.

Colin Best
Local & regional councillor
Milton/Halton
colinbest.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:44 am 

Thanks for replying Colin.

I like what ol Skool said about even animals know not to crap where they sleep ...... animals must be a step up from the a**holes who dump and run.

Funny thing was - that the big pile I saw yesterday was either right by or very near the sign that says no trespassing .... I really like that we have such Law Abiding citizens here in Milton.

I have said this before - I am a big time recycler ..... we are a family of five and my husband brings home the recycle from his office (1 blue bag a week). I have a recycle bin in each of my 3 daughters bedrooms as well as the master bath. I have a little compost bin in the laundry to hold all the lint from the dryer. Each week I have at LEAST 5 blue bins full as well as I have 2 green carts which are usually full, and when it's garbage week we have the big garbage can as well as MAYBE 1 extra bag.

One thing though - if I ever read that Milton or Halton is shipping all the recycle or compost waste to a landfill outside of our area (which they are doing in Peel Region said the Star a couple of weeks back as well as another region) - I will then raise a HUGE stink.

I too would LOVE to see the big blue bins with the lids - but then again - that just gives something else for people to bitch and moan about.

Oh yeah ....

HAPPY EARTH DAY !!

Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am 

We're a family of four and put out in Peel two garbage bags and two recycle bins weekly. The odd time we have more we always have extra stickers on hand you buy for extra bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 am 

I was turning onto LSL from Ferguson last night at about 10pm and noticed a car pulled over at the side of the road... I couldn`t tell if they were dumping or rummaging through some stuff that had already been left there - I was turning the other direction...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:58 am 

Tim wrote:

Town should go through the bags to try to determin who, and fine them heavily.

Post subject: New Dump
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 am 

When did the dump move from the south side of 4th line? Every night I see pickups and trailers driving down to the dog park to dump their loads!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:36 am 

1GTP2NV wrote:

Perhaps a gigantic sign stating a big fat fine would have one hesitate before tossing their garbage? Or a sign stating "smile you are on camera"
:wink: :

:

Well considering when I started this thread ... that one pile of crap WAS dumped within spitting distance of the 'NO TRESPASSING/NO DUMPING'
sign .........

I actually have a picture my husband and I took in Barbados that is of a sign that is seen quite frequently at the sides of the roads in Barbados, about not littering and keeping your island clean .... and what do we take a picture of ?? A HUGE pile of crap piled right up AGAINST said sign !! So it's not only people in Milton that do this ...they even do it on a gorgeous island like Barbados !!

Jo