HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:08 pm 

The information only has value assuming the person reading it understands it
We all know (at best) this simply shifts the control from a Realtor to a website

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:24 pm 

Mbroker wrote:
The problem here is that a confidence level is also the highest in years in Canada, and it almost never dropped. While high confidence level mostly a desirable goal for any economy, and our government done great job keeping it this way, combined with large debt levels makes long term effect quite the opposite. I was at mattamy event and 500k homes were going faster than a Christmas Wal Mart Sale items. I'm talking about 2600 - 2900 q ft homes. I personally believe the values are not there. Don't mistakes price of the house (the price that we pay) and the value of the house (that’s what we get).

While attending CIBC head economist meeting, they indicated that a 3% increase in interest rates will not only slow down the housing market, but wipe it out. Everything was supported by household income/debt/payment data. It is quite scary believe it or not.

So my suggestion will be to stay put for some time, and concentrate on catching up with debt levels, because we could see some major adjustments in the future.

Lots of really funny old comments but this one is great coming from a broker
"No value buying a 2500-3000 sq ft detached at $500K"
If any of you Mattamy owners think your homes are only worth $450K today contact me I will buy it tomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:09 pm 

Keeps out all the riff-raff

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:10 pm 

shawnrk1 wrote:
Mbroker wrote:
The problem here is that a confidence level is also the highest in years in Canada, and it almost never dropped. While high confidence level mostly a desirable goal for any economy, and our government done great job keeping it this way, combined with large debt levels makes long term effect quite the opposite. I was at mattamy event and 500k homes were going faster than a Christmas Wal Mart Sale items. I'm talking about 2600 - 2900 q ft homes. I personally believe the values are not there. Don't mistakes price of the house (the price that we pay) and the value of the house (that’s what we get).

While attending CIBC head economist meeting, they indicated that a 3% increase in interest rates will not only slow down the housing market, but wipe it out. Everything was supported by household income/debt/payment data. It is quite scary believe it or not.

So my suggestion will be to stay put for some time, and concentrate on catching up with debt levels, because we could see some major adjustments in the future.

Lots of really funny old comments but this one is great coming from a broker
"No value buying a 2500-3000 sq ft detached at $500K"
If any of you Mattamy owners think your homes are only worth $450K today contact me I will buy it tomorrow

To be fair they do have a point with the debt level situation. Our own mortgage is about half of what I’m told is “normal” in this town, and we just had to re-up as our 5 year term has ended. Had to settle for a .5% increase, and while it certainly didn’t cause any financial distress, it was annoying enough that we’re taking a good hard look at our financial priorities right now and plan to aggressively attack this bitch.

I can only imagine the stress that a 1% increase could cause a lot of people. It feels like the economy (or whatever you want to call it) is walking on a razors edge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:37 pm 

eeninety wrote:
Keeps out all the riff-raff

Our prices discriminate because we can't!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm 

https://www.greaterfool.ca/2018/10/11/the-blind/

Quote:
On Thursday the province’s realtors said legislation governing their business should be revamped after a 16-year pause. One suggestion would mean the end of blind auctions – allowing realtors to disclose details of competing offers to prospective buyers. The catch is that all parties would have to agree to this change (which only makes sense). If adopted by the Big Kahuna, it would help end wild price speculation in boom markets by providing transparency. After all, why would you pay more than you have to or eliminate conditions once you know the competition has flamed out? Just like in a real, Aussie-style auction.

This also comes as the realtor cartel’s iron grip on sales data is being shattered, thanks to the courts and the federal competition bureau. Soon it will be common – in all major markets – for buyers to see the past sales history of a property, previous listings and relistings plus price changes and days-on-market. It’s valuable and powerful information in the hands of buyers so they research their own comparables, determining if an asking price is fantasy or realistic.

Of course, these are steps on the path to a real estate revolution in which agents, brokers and marketing giants like Re/Max and Royal LePage go the way of Sears and Future Shop. When Millennials no longer visit banks or stores – empowered by their phones instead – being held hostage in a house deal by some sleazy rock star realtor running a high-stress blind auction is repulsive.

The asteroid is coming.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:52 pm 

I havent been on here for a while... I remember way back when someone wanted to sell there house and rent and wait for the deline... I'm just curious hows that going for them since housing prices quadrupled...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:05 am 

Deline, deline, deline. Thankfully most didn't listen to that crackpot haha!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 am 

well, looks like he was FINALLY right!!! after growth of roughly 300-400%, prices have finally DELINED by 15-20% from their Feb/March highs! Congrats! it only took 12 years to be "right" LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:09 am 

rickp wrote:
well, looks like he was FINALLY right!!! after growth of roughly 300-400%, prices have finally DELINED by 15-20% from their Feb/March highs! Congrats! it only took 12 years to be "right" LOL
LOL :) I was hoping this thread would come back! You pretty much nailed it, Rick :)

The only truth to all of this is that it is risky to over-leverage at ANY time, in ANY market. The more risk somebody takes, this higher the highs and the lower the lows can be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:49 pm 

rickp wrote:

To be fair 20% of 400% is 80%

Most people don't understand/get confused how percentage losses work.
If you lose 50% on your investment then you would would have to make 100% just to get back to breakeven.
In the case of 20% decline you would have to make 25%

Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Non draco sit mihi dux!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:37 am 

Have even delined to 2020 home prices yet?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:52 am 

Groundbreaking wrote:
Have even delined to 2020 home prices yet?

We are at mid 2021 pricing right now.
Gave back about half of the gains since spring 2020.
Not back to 2020 pricing yet! :)

search for Milton's Favourite Realtor!

REVEL REALTY -- MILTON'S FAVOURITE REAL ESTATE BROKERAGE, as voted by YOU!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:22 pm 

Mattamy advertising 1 bedroom condo for "low" 500s lol
Deline is biggest joke ever
It still blows my mind anyone would pay anything close to that

https://mattamyhomes.com/ontario/gta/mi ... -and-creek

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1889 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126