HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:58 pm 

Has anyone else noticed the chlorine in tap water a bit off lately?
The other day I popped into the shower and it stunk like a swimming pool. My father was over the next day and spit out the water from the kitchen tap complaining it tasted horribly of chlorine.
I've never had this issue in any other house. Any one else notice something similar?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:51 pm 

Nope, where are you?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:43 am 

Yup some days are worse than others.
Been like that for months.

I'm near dymott/savoline.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 am 

thenay wrote:
Yup some days are worse than others.
Been like that for months.

I'm near dymott/savoline.

I'm not far from you, I'm in between LSL and Derry off Farmstead.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 am 

i posted a thread a month or so back with the same question... i live like right in your neighborhood off farmstead..

and since it's been colder our water has smelled of Chlorine... my skin even smells like it cause i take 2 showers a day.. haha

So i called the city last week and she was very nice and gave me an explanation which makes sense but still i'm still skeptical.
here is her reason:

- Since Milton's water comes from the lake there is a little more chlorine added then your used to because of how far it needs to travel. In the colder months you smell it more cause the chlorine doesn't burn off as much as it does in the warmer months.

she sent someone to our house a few days later to check the levels and it was at 1.3ish .. i don't know the units of measure as my Wife didn't ask, but the guy said it was right around the average levels they expect.

I read the World Health Organization documents online about Chlorine in Water and it say 0.8-1mg/L... so if milton is using the same units of measure (mg/L) then they are pretty high!

I am considering getting a filtration system and water softener for our house

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 am 

I guess it's good to know we're not crazy but why does it seem particularly bad in our neighbourhood and not others I wonder?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:39 am 

AtoZKenn wrote:
I guess it's good to know we're not crazy but why does it seem particularly bad in our neighbourhood and not others I wonder?

Older Milton does not have chlorine added to their water. Theirs is a ground water based system. Their water does not come from the lake.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:46 am 

MiltonBorn wrote:
AtoZKenn wrote:

Older Milton does not have chlorine added to their water. Theirs is a ground water based system. Their water does not come from the lake.

I'm sorry. Old Milton does have chlorine added. It's fluoride that we don't have added where new Milton does. Haven't had my coffee yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:52 pm 

MiltonBorn wrote:
MiltonBorn wrote:
AtoZKenn wrote:

I'm sorry. Old Milton does have chlorine added. It's fluoride that we don't have added where new Milton does. Haven't had my coffee yet.

I'm actually glad you mentioned that because I've been wondering if Milton town water is fluoridated. Most municipalities actually don't fluoridate water anymore. Weird that new Milton does and Old Milton doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:47 pm 

Old Milton is groundwater based, while new Milton get water from Halton Region/Lake Ontario.

From Halton website:

"Is drinking water fluoridated in Halton?

- Yes, the Region adds fluoride to the water supplies in Burlington, Halton Hills, Oakville, and the new developments in Milton to bring it up to the recommended levels.
- The older section of Milton does not have fluoride added, although the groundwater based system has a natural fluoride level of about 0.1 parts per million (ppm) to 0.15 ppm. That level is well below that of any preventative value (i.e., 0.5 - 0.8 ppm)
- Fluoride occurs naturally and is often found in water sources, levels of which vary in drinking water throughout Ontario and Halton Region. However, the natural fluoride level in Halton Region is too low for the prevention of tooth decay."

And the fluoride fighters can come out of the woodworks to fight against adding fluoride into the water system now.......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:13 pm 

rickp wrote:
And the fluoride fighters can come out of the woodworks to fight against adding fluoride into the water system now.......

Topic is Chlorine not Fluoride but I guess one can't really talk about one or the other.

For anyone concerned, the gist;

Chlorine is added to prevent water borne diseases (E.G. Cholera, E. Coli).
Fluoride is added to reduce tooth decay (~18–40% reduction in the general population).

Get informed;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_chlorination
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation

Both are proven / studied methods and withstand criticism when compared municipalities in the developing world that do not implement these measures. Long term exposure risk studies have also been carried out and remain inconclusive to this day (I.E. Safe).

With that said, there have been documented cases of over Chlorination/Fluoridation which can cause acute poisoning.

Most municipalities have a stringent monitoring process but its always good to call the city if you start smelling chlorine in your water or it starts tasting bitter; This is why you pay taxes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm 

Anyone notice chlorine in their water since the Thanksgiving weekend? Always seems high after a long weekend, but this is the longest that I have noticed it from the tap.