HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Who are you voting for?
Liberals 36%  36%  [ 30 ]
Conservatives 57%  57%  [ 48 ]
NDP 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 84
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
bremer wrote:
Ouch. This one hurts. Even Halton turned red. It blows my mind how disconnected people are from reality in this province.

I'm at least glad it's a majority. It's the only shot at balancing the books before things implode. Not that I'm confident the Liberals ever will, but it's our only hope.

Hang onto your wallets folks.
Watch the RED do exactly what the blue said they would do but they will call it something different.

I wish. Sadly, your all getting a pension plan and a tax hike for now. We'll see strikes as they try to freeze wages in a couple of years. I can't imagine them having the balls to live up to the unions in any way shape or form, so I'd expect them to just raise taxes and live with slightly smaller deficits instead.

Interest rates won't be rocketing upwards anytime soon unless thees some sort of economic shock, so we'll probably be ok over the next few years. But whenever that changes, things are going to get ugly.

The worst part about all this is that now there's no chance I'll ever be able to buy alcohol in a corner store like an adult. I was really hoping to see that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:44 pm 

proudowner wrote:
bremer wrote:
Ouch. This one hurts. Even Halton turned red. It blows my mind how disconnected people are from reality in this province.

I'm at least glad it's a majority. It's the only shot at balancing the books before things implode. Not that I'm confident the Liberals ever will, but it's our only hope.

Hang onto your wallets folks.

What if, just what if you are the disconnected one? This shows this forum is not a representation of Milton.

Well, I'm clearly disconnected from the thinking of the majority of people, but not the hard truths about how things work. People can talk about how great it is to be 'progressive' and enjoy their treats. One day, a banker is going to make the hard choices for us. There's a reason why highly indebted jurisdictions always suffer from anemic growth and high unemployment. You can't escape arithmetic.

Fortunately, if it ever comes to that, I can escape the province. I feel bad for those who can't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:46 pm 

All the new people that moved here to Milton since 2011, what was their party of choice before they moved here??? Food for thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:46 pm 

Happy dance :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:49 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
All the new people that moved here to Milton since 2011, what was their party of choice before they moved here??? Food for thought.

I moved here in '08 (wife grew up here). Voted liberal and always have (in Toronto).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 pm 

Greenjp wrote:

Why? People have spoken, accept the outcome. Who cares how long they lived here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 pm 

Foreveryoung wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

Why? People have spoken, accept the outcome. Who cares how long they lived here.
Just trying to come up with a possible reason for those who are saying "How did this happen". Our population has grow quite a bit since the last election in 2011 and Ted only beat Indira by about 3000 votes back then. There is another possibility but I will leave that one to our Princess beata.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 pm 

Thanks for coming out...

Congrats to the Liberals...

Buh bye Hudak...

And someone give Horwath a GPS...shes still lost...

Last edited by Totalpkg on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:02 pm 

What happened to this poll result? Chudleigh won that position 5 times before losing today, since 1995. Strong message from Milton voters! I hope you are paying attention to what your party is saying Chudleigh...wrong message...wrong platform.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:04 pm 

Totalpkg wrote:
Thanks for coming out...

Congrats to the Liberals...

Buh bye Hudak...
Yes, Hudak said tonight he is resigning as leader of the PC party.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:24 am 

And good riddance. A good guy with the right ideas, but a total failure at campaigning. It’s one thing to mobilize your base, but you don’t do it by freaking everyone else out and mobilizing your opponents as well.

The conservatives will need a guy with some charisma who can run on prudent and honest government, not service reductions. Cut jobs when you get in, just do it quietly and certainly don’t campaign on it. That’s the strategy Harper has used, and it’s clearly the only one that works for conservatives.

Haltons an interesting loss. Overall, I think it’s the same loss we saw elsewhere. Hudak freaked out enough people that votes from both the left and the right moved Liberal in an effort to stop it.

There’s something to be said about the demographic shift in Milton and new immigrants voting for a candidate solely because they are of the same race, but I think those people are a minority even among immigrants. It’s abhorrent, and perhaps it was enough to tip the balance in Halton, but overall, they lost because people rejected the platform. I know plenty of Conservative immigrants. Race is a factor, not a decider.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 am 

^^^ Agree with most of what you stated. I voted Liberal not because I like their platform, but because I disliked plastic Hudak so much. Almost as much as his platform. He has resigned, and there is talk of some possible replacements. I would endorse Christine Elliott in a heartbeat. Might endorse Lisa Raiit as well. Good solid candidates who would establish a good rapport with the electorate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 am 

Quote:
I know plenty of Conservative immigrants. Race is a factor, not a decider.

I support everyone who is against of soviet style misspending and corruption here run by liberals and unions regime.
Yes, I have seen, meet and spoke with pro-conservative of all kinds here. Including our local street.
As immigrant, I came from country where people are visually and culturally different for centuries. One of my best school friends is from arabian family and second close friend is jewish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:14 am 

Yeah, I’ve never seen or really heard much of Christine Elliott until today. Being Jim’s wife is enough to get me interested, but I’d need to see more of her to know if she has what it takes.

Lisa Raitt would be interesting. I’ve always liked her, and she’s clearly qualified for the job. She’s an amazing speaker who always knows the right words to use, which is key to these things. The whole ‘sexy’ thing would be a negative, but I imagine most voters would overlook that fiasco.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:12 am 

bremer wrote:
There’s something to be said about the demographic shift in Milton and new immigrants voting for a candidate solely because they are of the same race, but I think those people are a minority even among immigrants. It’s abhorrent, and perhaps it was enough to tip the balance in Halton, but overall, they lost because people rejected the platform. I know plenty of Conservative immigrants. Race is a factor, not a decider.

I believe that this same factor may have played a role in keeping Ted elected in the past. If you look at past election results, you will notice that Ted's margin of victory used to be greater when he ran against a candidate who is of a visible minority. For example, if you compare the 2007 and 2011 results, you will notice that in 2007, when he ran against a person of Caucasian decent, his margin was smaller as compared to 2011, when he ran against Indira with a greater margin of victory. Also if you compare the 1999 and 2003 election results, in 1999, he ran against a Liberal candidate who was a person of colour and Ted held onto a 65% margin of victory, which was sharply contrasted in 2003, when he ran against a Caucasian Liberal candidate, he received a 48% margin of victory. Now I understand that there were probably other factors involved, such as platform, candidate visibility and party leaders, however the race factor may have been enough to ensure more decisive victories for Ted and a more motivated base in such campaigns. I agree that unfortunately race was probably a factor this time around, I would like to emphasise that race has always been a factor on both sides.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next