HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:44 pm 

Or how about we be innovative in government for a change and invest in one of those smart lights that can actually see shifting traffic patterns and shift the timings all on its own?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:00 pm 

bremer wrote:
Or how about we be innovative in government for a change and invest in one of those smart lights that can actually see shifting traffic patterns and shift the timings all on its own?

I'm all for it... But as was pointed out previously, lets fix one light for good before we start reinventing the wheel with all the latest gadgets that we'll never actually get.

(I was going to make a joke about a smart light that could figure out a way to generate revenue like a red light camera as a means fast track such an idea - but I'm actually serious for a change. Mark the date)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 pm 

I have a feeling that’s the problem. It’s beyond these people to fix this one light for good.

My cynical theory…. That intersection suffers from traffic flow swings. One day it’s fine, another day it’s backed up for miles. Even if you leave at the same time every day, it’s unpredictable.

These traffic ying yangs are operating in a bureaucracy. Apart from having no soul, they are also forced to comply with rigid rules that do not apply anything that wasn’t envisioned by some 80 year manager with a hard on for creating rules. So even if these guys go out, and recognize that the proper approach is to time the lights for the worst case traffic flow going E/W during rush hour, there’s some stupid regulation saying you can’t do that and you must time for average flows, not peak.

I dunno if that’s true, but I do know that you can’t fix the government. It’s just full of old farts with no imagination. If something doesn’t work you can only automate it, eliminate it, or live with it forever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:42 pm 

bremer wrote:
So even if these guys go out, and recognize that the proper approach is to time the lights for the worst case traffic flow going E/W during rush hour, there’s some stupid regulation saying you can’t do that and you must time for average flows, not peak.

That's the quote we're looking for. There has to be a way to do that.

There also has to be a way to set the light with multiple timings throught the day so that you can plan for armageddon in the morning and evening and have it switch off for normal times between say 10 and 4.

I refuse to believe this can't happen, even if your political rants usually feel dead on the money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:24 pm 

Oh Martin... You've been using your Tom Cruise photo for so long your starting to believe in fairy tales too.

Change doesn't happen, it's forced from necessity. And you can't force a monopoly to do anything. It would take a riot to make anything substantive happen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:17 am 

dillon wrote:
munchito wrote:
Hi Mike, the 401 is already a disaster in the morning between W of 25 and Trafalgar. How is putting an interchange at Tremaine going to make anything easier?

To me, the biggest problem seems to be the tripling of the population in Milton while at the same time adding only one lane of roadway (Derry) east out of Milton over the past 12 years.

not saying the interchange is going to solve all the problems, but it sure will make it easier for those of us who live west of bronte, to zip up to the 401, and vice versa on the way home.

and when you say the 401 is already a disaster in the morning between w of 25 and Trafalgar, you're right for a good chunk of morning rush hour, but for people who are on that route during off peak hours, it's not that bad, and being able to get on it at Tremaine would save a chunk of time.

the whole point of these traffic complaints revolve around peak rush hour time. The Gardiner at Spadina is also easy to zip around at 11 am on a Tuesday.

I also live west of Bronte and will likely never consider the Tremaine interchange for my morning commute. As MiltonLeo indicated, it's so far out of the way it will likely not be a viable route for most people, especially considering that as soon as you get on it, you'll be stuck doing 10 behind a sea of transport trucks and Cambridge commuters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:00 am 

I guess these issues are too trivial for Mike. He hasn't responded at all.

We should vote for Mike because he will do what???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:31 am 

does anyone have a link for a map of where the tremaine/401 interchange is going to be. i apparently naively assumed it would be in the vicinity of tremaine and the 401.

for 6 years i've been living south of derry near savoline, commuting into brampton or toronto every workday. i abhor sitting in traffic. i hardly ever, ever take derry road to go anywhere outside of milton. i very often go west just to get to tremaine, to zip up to steeles and across to 25 to the 401. every minute earlier I can get on to the 401 is that much more traffic i can avoid throughout the 401. if i didn't want to go west first like that, and just sat on derry to go across all the way to - what, trafalgar? - it'd take me an extra half hour to even get onto the 401, and then the traffic on the 401 would be even that much worse.

anyhow, all that is to say, anything that helps me get to the 401 quicker helps, and I can't possibly be the only person in milton in that situation.

but i guess you guys are all saying that for those of you for whom the derry/trafalgar situation is the problem, the tremaine/401 interchange won't help anything. so my question - do you guys take derry all the way into mississauga or toronto, and then back again? I'm just trying to understand this, because i can't think of where'd I'd have to get to that would make me regularly drive across derry at that intersection in bad traffic, as my best option.

and i've had 3 hours sleep in the last 30-40 hrs, so if some of this didn't make sense, that's why. good night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
D&M wrote:
I guess these issues are too trivial for Mike. He hasn't responded at all.

We should vote for Mike because he will do what???

Mike has actually been pretty busy lately helping with charity fundraisers and keeping his constituents updated via Facebook and his website.

This is a forum of mostly anonymous weirdos. Understandably low priority here for sure.

Agreed! but if you start a thread asking for support of the people then I think you should check back in and respond to their questions. Mike chose this as one of his communication channels.

How can this be a low priority? According to the site there were 3 registered users, 4 guests and a gazillion bots on this site in the last 5 minutes :-)

Maybe he is too busy reading the "shaving" thread......... best trainwreck of a thread ever!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:27 am 

Hey Mike,
In the Milton Trails community we have 2 schools, Queen of Heaven and Escarpment Public School. The major east subdivision does not connect with the major west subdivision thru the trail system in a community called MILTON TRAILS!! Zeeshan has been asked about this on his commentary but has chosen not to answer/ignore the question. Seeing that you sit on a safety community for Milton can you get the town to see reason and get a proper pedistrian walkway built. This may eliminate some of the traffic on Scott/Savoline as kids/parents may walk/ride bikes to school as opposed to driving them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 am 

jaxx wrote:
Wondering if there is any intention of fencing around Irma Coulson's parking lot along Derry?

Hi Jaxx...

I know I answered your question on FB earlier but i'll post one here. As far as I know there arent any plans for fencing on the Derry Road side for the school or by the parking lot. I will also get input from Kim Graves, who is the current trustee for the area to see if she will look into it as well.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:33 am 

What needs to be done is a review/constant check of timing of lights along Derry Road. I cant specifically promise you that Derry and Trafalgar will be green every time you go through, as that would be impossible. The struggle is to deal with the feeder roads that go onto Derry Road and unless you live on Derry Road and have direct access, everyone comes out of the feeder roads.

Like some of the previous comments, it really shouldnt be up to the councillor for the area to constantly maintain the lights. Its something that has to be done by staff and make modifications along the way. Thats what theyre paid for. All intersections need to be monitored including one of the biggest problems Derry and Trafalgar.

I hope this helps. These lights and the flow of traffic is critical to make the morning and afternoon commutes as easy as possible for motorists.

miltonLeo wrote:
Hi Mike, thank you for the speedy reply, much appreciated.

To be clear, I'm not concerned about the feeder street light timing as I realize that's the cost of growth. Specifically the issue is the particular light at the Derry/trafalgar intersection. This single light -- I am not kidding, just this one single light -- is often completely responsible for the entire backup to past Trudeau. It is this light and only this light's timing that I'd like to understand if you have a plan to fix, and how.

The 401/Tremaine intersection is interesting insofar as it will help with a westward commute to KW, but it will not alleviate an eastward commute because one would need to be a masochist to get on the 401 even earlier than trafalgar, let alone to drive so many extra kms out of the way of a straightline path for the pain of the 401 parking lot. Incidentally however, I would be quite interested in a 407 exchange at Tremaine. That is an exchange that I would happily drive out of my way for, unlike 401/Tremaine.

Meanwhile, if you could address specifically the Derry/Trafalgar light I would greatly appreciate it and you would cement my vote. Thanks very much.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:37 am 

As weve recently seen this past week with a truck turnover on the 401 at James Snow Parkway (not the first and sadly probably wont be the last) having an interchange at Tremaine will help backup on the 401 and provide drivers with options.

Having an interchange at 401 and Tremaine Road will not solve everything. Far from it. Its all part of a regional mobility plan that will provide drivers with options. The evening commute brings issues to Main Street, Steeles Ave and Derry Road due the the drivers from the west side of town returning home. This way there will be an exit for them and hence reduce the westerly flow of traffic on the major roads at that time.

There is no silver bullet to solve all problems...light timing, infrastructure needs, interchanges are all part of the solution that will help traffic flow better.

miltonLeo wrote:
dillon wrote:
well at least, every car that goes up tremaine to the 401 is one less car clogging up derry rd on the way to 25 or james snow or trafalgar, for what its worth.

Sure, but by your own admission that's only worth doing during off peak and Derry isn't clogged during off peak. Hence the 401 exchange will solve nothing ... even if we did believe that a councillor could sooner expedite the building of a 401 interchange than he could solve a light timing issue at a single county intersection. (??)

Also, have you checked out the location of the 401/Tremaine exchange on a map? It is seriously off the route of anyone living near Derry road. No one near Derry road would drive all the way up to Tremaine and #5 Side Road just for the pleasure of sitting in 401 traffic back down to Trafalgar south of Steeles. It's not a solution.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:39 am 

Namkia wrote:
Hey Mike,
In the Milton Trails community we have 2 schools, Queen of Heaven and Escarpment Public School. The major east subdivision does not connect with the major west subdivision thru the trail system in a community called MILTON TRAILS!! Zeeshan has been asked about this on his commentary but has chosen not to answer/ignore the question. Seeing that you sit on a safety community for Milton can you get the town to see reason and get a proper pedistrian walkway built. This may eliminate some of the traffic on Scott/Savoline as kids/parents may walk/ride bikes to school as opposed to driving them.

Your community neighbourhood is actually called Scott Neighbourhood. The builder marketting name was Milton Trails. I wouldn't confuse the two. Mike was a strong supporter of the Trails Master Plan update and was at all the public input sessions. Did you express your concern about this connection at any of those meetings?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:40 am 

martin prince wrote:
I want someone to own that light and fix it; to make it their pet project. Not to have the traffic dept stick a couple of black car counting strips on the road and adjust without ever actually looking at the intersection. I’m talking about hands on, multiple days on site to see how it works and adjust accordingly and make it never be an issue for us again because they will stay on top of it. No more 4 or 5+ cycles before you get through.

Derry has enough lanes for the traffic load – now please make it so we can use it.

The former representative from Regional Council took that on as his pet project...problem not solved because the focus was on one spot. I want the review of all lights from Derry Trafalgar to JSP to Thompson to Ontario to Bronte St....all have their own issues that add to the problem. The problem needs to be fixed. For that, I will take ownership and make sure the job gets done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next