HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 am 

DRiFT_645 wrote:
^^ That's not true. The new ownership is American and doesn't understand the Milton Market like the previous owner did who ran the event for many successful years.

The new ownership is not American. It is Canadian and the owner went to Western.

The reason it is different and you don't have the same ribbers as the large (Rotary) events - Oakville, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Burlington.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/57872 ... ton-event/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor ... e25795353/

The Rotary Ribfests are run as 'Charity' events, where the other Regional and smaller Ribfests are run for Profit.

If you take a look back, when the Milton Ribfest first started, you had the same vendors as the Rotary ones, however, Rotary started banning their vendors from attending other Ribfests. (This started changing 3 or so years ago.

I went Friday night, Ribs were OK (nothing spectacular), but the atmosphere was decent. (Crappy beer, but then again, you get crappy beer at the Big Ribfests as well). I liked the first 2 years when they had the micro-breweries such as Flying Monkey and Nickelbrook in Burlington.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:14 am 

It's ribs off a truck with no admission charges and non stop live music. How high were everyone's expectations???
I liked the complete absence of security the best. The guy beside me at the band shell just reached in his backpack and pulled out Bud can after Bud can after Bud can for a few hours. No attempt to hide it, cause there was no one to hide it from.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:38 am 

Norts999 wrote:
It's ribs off a truck with no admission charges and non stop live music. How high were everyone's expectations???
I liked the complete absence of security the best. The guy beside me at the band shell just reached in his backpack and pulled out Bud can after Bud can after Bud can for a few hours. No attempt to hide it, cause there was no one to hide it from.

Expectations:
-enough vendors so that a 45+ minute lineup isn't necessary
-some proceeds going to benefit the local community
-sufficient # of toilets
-somewhere to sit with shade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:55 pm 

From what I've read, nothing went to the local community.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:56 pm 

Hodor wrote:

Expectations:
-sufficient # of toilets

You just described Kelsey's patio. :lol:
Festivals are supposed to be slow, dirty, loud, hot, expensive, and smelly while giving some local bands a chance to play.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:43 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
Hodor wrote:

Expectations:
-sufficient # of toilets

You just described Kelsey's patio. :lol:
Festivals are supposed to be slow, dirty, loud, hot, expensive, and smelly while giving some local bands a chance to play.

....except, in years past they haven't been. Settling for mediocrity is a good quality to have living in Milton, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:45 pm 

I know I shouldn't even comment here as I will likely just get flamed, however the rumour mongers and "think they know it all's" go too far.

I got involved with the former organizer for Ribfest the first year it ran and every year since. Worked behind the scenes running all of the many volunteers
doing everything from garbage collection, gate keeping, parking, setup, cleanup, and just about anything else necessary to run an event like this. It was
my pleasure as I believe in this community and wanted to help and contribute. Most of the volunteers were high school students earning credits and I would
like to thank the 100's who participated over the last 6 years. You guys and gals were great and I wish you all the best in everything to do in the future.

FYI, the new owner is Northern Heat (see link below)
http://www.northernheatribseries.ca/

This is the owner or co-owner, not sure of which. He is out of University of Western Ontario I believe.
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/justin-brown-93486931

Our Ribfest was a charity based event but because of pressures from the ribbers, IE they wanted less at each event, guarantees, no paid parking, gate fees, etc
Scott was taking on huge financial risk with little chance of raising money for Halton charities or even covering his costs. It was just too much so Northern Heat
took over.

Link below is pretty accurate except this was Scott himself organizing the previous Milton Ribfests not the Rotary Club. The Milton Optimists ran the beer sales in
previous years which generated a lot of money for local charities but not this year. This was a big loss Milton...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor ... e25795353/

Prior to this year we were constantly tuning and re-tuning due to feedback we received... eg someone said the craft beer was best but just as many wanted Molson's etc but we were too small
to do both in the same year.

Jeff Cookson.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:41 pm 

Why would you get flamed for volunteering for a charitable event? Thanks for doing that.
Anywhoo, if it was renamed the free parking, free admission, byo food, byo beer, free live music in an isolated neighborless park with no rules, but cops standing nearby, with optional reasonably priced meat vendors and overpriced inflatable daycare available, who could Be disappointed by that?
I bought it all for less than the cost of a Boston Pizza dinner. Good half day in my mind.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 am 

Norts999 wrote:
Why would you get flamed for volunteering for a charitable event? Thanks for doing that.
Anywhoo, if it was renamed the free parking, free admission, byo food, byo beer, free live music in an isolated neighborless park with no rules, but cops standing nearby, with optional reasonably priced meat vendors and overpriced inflatable daycare available, who could Be disappointed by that?
I bought it all for less than the cost of a Boston Pizza dinner. Good half day in my mind.

Sound like a deal to me! Some people just like to complain, ever notice it's always the same people over and over again. They seem to have a negative comment about everything that goes on in the town. Farmer market, fall fair, restaurants, building tall buildings downtown, parking, roundabouts... and they are always the superior drivers too :wink: The Doom and Gloom crowd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 pm 

Do you think all the travelling carnies from the rib fest have dirty, smelly, rib smoke sex after, during or before they cook our food?

I'm going with all of the above.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:13 am 

Ribfest 2018 was weak, despite my lowered expectations.
The kids had 5 rides to choose from, none of which anyone over 5 would have cared for.
We spent half our budget and a quarter of the time we had planned.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:29 am 

Norts999 wrote:
The kids had 5 rides to choose from, none of which anyone over 5 would have cared for.
We spent half our budget and a quarter of the time we had planned.

Good, it’s a rib fest not a kids carnival.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 am 

The best BBQ we have tasted was in a little town outside of San Antonio, Rudy’s in Leon Springs TX.

https://rudysbbq.com/location/detail/san-antonio-tx

opie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 am 

Norts999 wrote:

Weak but better than past 2 years (nowhere near as good as previous owners though)
Still very few vendors for both ribs and other stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am 

Never been a big rib fest guy at all. I find you pay way more for sub-par ribs. How good can they really be when they are pumping out 100's of racks a day. Plus you get the added bonus of the ribbers alley feeling like its 4000 degrees due to all the centralized cooking stations.

If you want solid ribs, go to The Hungry Hollow in Georgetown or for the ultimate (but a bit of a hike), go to Adamson BBQ in TO.