HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tipping
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:52 am 

Deep wrote:
Love this guy...

Why Tipping Should Be Banned - Adam Ruins Everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vivC7c_1k

Ha.. that guy is funny.

I guess I'm just going to have to disagree with some people, and if I'm an asshole, I can live with that.
Bad service and giving 10%, you have to be kidding me.

In the US, servers make like $3/hour and so a 15-20% tip is because they get paid sh*t. Here they get $9 (Or so I thought). 15% on pre-tax and if its shitty service its like 5% or 0 if its horrible. If its amazing service, then its 20% on pre-tax which I probably see once every 10 times.

The bain of my existence is tip included because of large parties -- I totally get the rationale and it is probably necessary to prevent someone from working a large table for 2 hours and getting zilch, but sometimes it results in garbage service because they don't need to earn it -- not all of the time, I've been to places where tip is in because of party size and service is still excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:24 am 

Greenjp wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Tipping is so dumb. Just make the price, the price.
Problem with this, the CRA would love it. The owner would need new or upgraded software to separate the tip from the food for accounting reasons. This would leave a record of how much was paid out to employees which CRA would pick-up and charge income tax on. Some things should be left alone.

Not sure how it's handled when the tip is on the credit card?

Do you know what that income tax is supposed to pay for?
Why should a select few industries be allowed to CHEAT on their taxes, while the rest of us carry the full burdon?

Yes, I know you 'work hard', but so does everyone else.

For that matter, why are we so selective as to what jobs get tips and what jobs do not?
I suspect we only tip in industries where the workers can mess with you (like 'special ingedients' in your food) if they do not like you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:31 am 

Wyl wrote:
Blame a high minimum wage before you blame me for tipping at %10.

wait staff gets paid less than minimum wage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:50 am 

denti wrote:
Wyl wrote:

Their minimum wage is $9.80 an hour, increasing to $9.90 on October 1, 2016. That's what the Ministry of Labour says: https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es ... inwage.php

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:26 pm 

Kozm wrote:
denti wrote:
Wyl wrote:

Their minimum wage is $9.80 an hour, increasing to $9.90 on October 1, 2016. That's what the Ministry of Labour says: https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es ... inwage.php

sorry, the point i was trying to make is that most believe minimum wage that everyone gets is $11.xx. wait staff gets less than that as it's assumed they would make up the difference in tips

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:52 pm 

I tip because it's customary here but only in North America where this is a thing.
Go to Europe and they give you weird looks at the bar and tell you to take it back.
Maybe it's because they make a real wage per hour unlike here and still manage to provide cheap drinks. Australia is the same deal.

Some countries tipping is actually considered rude, I forgot what ones but it's in Asia.
I tipped while in Singapore to hotel workers and they took it but restaurants gave it back to me :/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:56 pm 

I tip 15% at most places, often closer to 20% if it's a regular place. I know I get it back in freebies anyway. There is an owner chef restaurant in streetsville, I tip the same as anywhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:00 pm 

It's some silly cultural thing that North Americans feel they need to tip. Everyone else just pays their staff properly so they don't need to rely on customer "handouts".

I think it's Japan (among others) that considers tipping rude.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:40 pm 

When I went to Italy and France, tipping was common. Not just a North America thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:44 pm 

Just came back from Melbourne / tipping was appreciated but definitely not expected.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:22 pm 

Deep wrote:
Just came back from Melbourne / tipping was appreciated but definitely not expected.

That's because nobody can afford to tip with the crazy prices of everything there!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:04 pm 

No, it's because their restaurant workers are paid a proper wage. So the prices reflect that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:07 pm 

Deep wrote:
No, it's because their restaurant workers are paid a proper wage. So the prices reflect that.

My sister works there right now and would laugh at your comment. They are not paid a proper wage given the high cost of living. Tipping is actually becoming more customary but the rules about distribution within the restaurants is still very wishy washy so waiters and waitresses are getting screwed while many owners are benefiting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 pm 

Burrcold wrote:
Deep wrote:

My sister works there right now and would laugh at your comment. They are not paid a proper wage given the high cost of living. Tipping is actually becoming more customary but the rules about distribution within the restaurants is still very wishy washy so waiters and waitresses are getting screwed while many owners are benefiting.

I have business associates there that were shocked I was tipping.

They have family that owns a coffee and pastry shop and another with a restaurant and this is what they tell me - their wages are better in that industry than here.

I had another acquaintance who became a chiropractor and makes a lot more money there than here in Canada so decided to stay there.

Also the fact that Melbourne was recently named the most liveable city in the world (for the 6th time I believe) says that they are doing something better than we are, granted we are 4th on the list.

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-most-an ... een-ranked

And MAN is the food so much better down there - the restaurant choices and the types of food available put us to shame... Not a single bad meal was has while I was down there.

Ask your sister if she's been to Supernormal - I loved that place... The rice cakes!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:11 pm 

The wages are better but marginally and definitely not enough to make up for the high cost of living (might be 1st in livability but 6th in highest cost of living - to put this in perspective New York ranks 24th).

She is young (only 25) and has plenty of friends in the restaurant industry and they all claim the same financial disparity as the profession has here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next