HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: See Ya
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:00 pm 

Less than a month of always red lights until we're out of here.

I get to leave behind the land of warehouses and empty buses for greener pastures in a real small town.

I'll have a bigger property at a 1/4 of what it would cost for similar around here.

We've lived in Milton for almost 15 years now and sadly I can't say that I'll miss it (except I will miss playing slo-pitch in Brookville).

All the best to those I'm leaving behind. Enjoy your low taxes!

Post subject: Re: See Ya
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 pm 

So where are you going?

And just b/c you are leaving Milton doesn't mean you can't talk here and yes you can rub it in and tell us all the great stuff about where you going & what crap you've leaving behind. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm 

Considering just how much prices have increased here it is very tempting to move

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 pm 

Gerry, I share your sentiments and made the move to a "real small town" a few months ago.

The only thing I miss about Milton is the way it was before the big pipe.

Best wishes on your move. I hope your new town has a slo-pitch league, and maybe even needs a mayor!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:36 am 

We're headed to Napanee. The property we've bought is 3 acres and is just on the edge of town (on the rural side of the urban/rural border). I think there are more traffic lights on Thompson then in the entire town of Napanee. We are close enough to the shopping areas, less than 5 minutes to downtown and the hospital is 3 minutes away. Belleville or Kingston are half an hour away if we need some "big city" excitement and Toronto or Montreal are an easy drive.

We picked this area because our youngest daughter is living in Pickering now, the 2nd oldest is still in Montreal with the 2 grandsons so it will make visiting easier.

Don't know about the slo-pitch league yet and from what I understand they have a good-ol'-boy mayor who's been around for quite some time, not as long as Gord though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 am 

All the best Gerry, it was so nice seeing you over the years. Hope the C3 is still running strong. Say hi to Avril Lavigne's family for us when you move there, haha, and get ready for some big snowstorms.

If I didn't have to work in the GTA to pay bills and secure my future, I too would hightail it out of here into the Boonies as the town is not as nice to live in as it was 5-6 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 pm 

Nice move. Great location to take train to Ottawa and Montreal. And nice you have children who are capable to support themselves and their children.
I do owe to the bank, but not owner of the bank or at least decent banknote printer. And our youngest daughter is at kindergarten.
If I only knew how to make money while living in the nowhereville Napanee...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:22 pm 

Congratulations!! I'm sure I can speak for us all when I say that if there's one dream we've all had, it's to live in Napanee.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Congratulations!! I'm sure I can speak for us all when I say that if there's one dream we've all had, it's to live in Napanee.

Took the words right out of my mouth! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:21 pm 

Obviously you two probably don't have a cottage, boat or don't go fishing. No ATV's or snowmobles?

Year round home right on the water with enough room to play football in the front yard....to die for. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
Obviously you two probably don't have a cottage, boat or don't go fishing. No ATV's or snowmobles?

Year round home right on the water with enough room to play football in the front yard....to die for. :D

'Obviously' we do a variety of those things. But my boat is at a yacht club in an actual city, not something most famous for a mediocre pop star and a Flying J gas station that specializes in $2 showers and a bin of cassette tapes.

One day I hope I'm lucky enough to move to Napanee!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:46 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

'Obviously' we do a variety of those things. But my boat is at a yacht club in an actual city, not something most famous for a mediocre pop star and a Flying J gas station that specializes in $2 showers and a bin of cassette tapes.

"yacht club" yea right and you live in Milton. I won't ask for a pic b/c you will just post a Saudi prince's smallest yacht.

You and I together would not be able to afford a slip at the Yacht Club. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:41 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

"yacht club" yea right and you live in Milton. I won't ask for a pic b/c you will just post a Saudi prince's smallest yacht.

Actually you would be surprised, it is affordable to have a slip at a Yacht Club. Maybe not downtown TO but Burlington/Hamilton have a few clubs that are affordable. Plus a Yacht on Lake Ontario realistically is a sailboat, its not the Yacht you see out in Miami sailing the Ocean :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:18 am 

Greenjp wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

Your ignorance with respect to the cost of boat ownership is staggering.

And you think I would just do that? Go on the internet and lie about something? Susan Hood is in a few weeks. I'll post a photo then - please let me know specifically what rude gesture you'd like the photo to include.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 am 

We looked at dozens of places including waterfront which was on my wish list but settled on the Napanee house as the best overall for our needs. If I need to boat I can always visit my cousin who keeps his boat on Georgian Bay. I'm not much for fishing but if I had a sudden urge then Hay Bay is world renowned and my lot is plenty big enough to play football. I'm retired so no need to go anywhere unless I want to and my wife works from home (or at least she will for the next couple of years before she retires too) although there may be the odd time I'll take her to the office in Markham.

My brother's kids went to the same high school as the whinny little pop star although they are older and didn't really know her.

Our house has bathrooms with showers so no need for the $2 Flying J ones and cassettes predate that fairly new location so I'm surprised they them, maybe brought a supply in from one of the older locations.

Here's a picture of my cousin's boat (the red one) for you yacht enthusiasts. It used to be a coast guard research vessel on the St. Lawrence. It didn't cost him much to buy but it takes a lot of fuel to run and a huge amount for maintenance, everything that breaks cost at least a thousand to fix and lots of things break on it! But it sure is a lot of fun.

Attachments:
Still Watch 1.jpg
Still Watch 1.jpg [ 113.11 KiB | Viewed 1866 times ]