HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spray Foam Question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:28 pm 

We need to redo our exterior walls with spray foam insulation. Don't know much about it - are there different kinds? I'm looking for whatever kind gives me the most building strength - need it to be like concrete (as much as it can be). Anyone use this stuff? What kind of foam product am I looking for?

Post subject: Re: Spray Foam Question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:06 am 

No foam is like concrete but it does tighten things up quite a bit. Open cell foam is the lower cost option but will not be as ridged or provide as much R value as closed cell foam. Lower cost open cell foam is also not considered as a vapour barrier so one will need to be installed but closed cell foam is generally considered as a vapour barrier. To answer your question - you will want 2 pound closed cell foam.

Of course to get the latest info on these products you will need to call a couple companies that install it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm 

I just met our family friend on weekend who was recovering from his insulation spray foaming business. He did old home in Toronto recently and was barely walking.

If you need concrete strength use concrete blocks. Concrete is the insulation as well. Foam insulation doesn't meant to be weight bearing material. It is adhesive (during applying process) material to insulate and seal most effectively and relatively "easy" way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:46 pm 

wait a minute - you want to do this in between your walls or you want it on the exterior of your house?

You don't use spray foam for the exterior of your house...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am 

Thanks all for the posts. It is to be used inside. We've talked to a few companies as well as hired a structural engineer to do an assessment. Everyone agrees that a combo of the 2lb spray foam will do the trick. We'll also need to add some blocking and OSB boards for additional strength. Mattamy is coming to look at it as well - hopefully they'll do something to help but I'm not optimistic as we're past the warranty period. Hoping they might do it just to stand behind their work. Our exterior walls literally move when you push on them. Not ideal!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 pm 

Traddles wrote:
Mattamy is coming to look at it as well - hopefully they'll do something to help but I'm not optimistic as we're past the warranty period. Hoping they might do it just to stand behind their work. Our exterior walls literally move when you push on them. Not ideal!!

So sorry to hear you're having serious construction problems with your home. Doesn't surprise me at all that it's a Mattamy built home. I've heard many horrifying stories about the extremely poor workmanship of their houses. Really boggles my mind as to how they're able to get away with it. Even so, if what you're saying is correct - "that the exterior walls literally move" - then I would think that's grounds for a law suit against Mattamy, in case they want to wash their hands and not take responsibility, regardless whether the warranty has expired or not. If they continue to give you the run-around, get yourself a good lawyer and take them to court. Mattamy may have this Town in their back pockets but I highly doubt they would be able to get away with all their b.s. in a court of law.

Good luck and hopefully Mattamy will step up to the plate and properly fix everything that needs to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 am 

Traddles wrote:
Thanks all for the posts. It is to be used inside. We've talked to a few companies as well as hired a structural engineer to do an assessment. Everyone agrees that a combo of the 2lb spray foam will do the trick. We'll also need to add some blocking and OSB boards for additional strength. Mattamy is coming to look at it as well - hopefully they'll do something to help but I'm not optimistic as we're past the warranty period. Hoping they might do it just to stand behind their work. Our exterior walls literally move when you push on them. Not ideal!!

You may want to also contact the Town of Milton. They are responsible to inspect the structure before siding or anything else is installed that would cover the structure.

IMO - Don't bother phoning them though. For the best and fastest results or opinions from them it would be best to go directly to the second floor of town hall and explain the situation. If they offer to look at your home then confirm that there are no costs involved.