HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm 

I'm just curious....we've been in our Stonechurch for 12 years now and figured we would finally ask others with the same model - do you have an air vent under both windows in the master bedroom? We have horrible air circulation in our master. We have air vents: one in the closet, one under one window, one in the ensuite and one in the toilet closet. It doesn't make much sense and we've always wondered if perhaps they messed up. We are contemplating a ceiling fan but we haven't found one we like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm 

tvizz wrote:
I'm just curious....we've been in our Stonechurch for 12 years now and figured we would finally ask others with the same model - do you have an air vent under both windows in the master bedroom? We have horrible air circulation in our master. We have air vents: one in the closet, one under one window, one in the ensuite and one in the toilet closet. It doesn't make much sense and we've always wondered if perhaps they messed up. We are contemplating a ceiling fan but we haven't found one we like.

I don't recall exactly what you should have but you could easily have other problems that make the home feel the way it does.

If you have carpet then one of the floor registers could have been covered with the carpet. Feel the floor along the exterior wall for voids below the carpet. If you find one cut the hole in the carpet and install a register cover.

It would not be unusual that your 12 plus year old Mattamy home be significantly shorted on insulation making the room feel hot.

BTW, there will be an air-return on the wall, with the AC running hold a tissue up to the return and make sure it is sucked onto the grate to confirm it is working.

As well, remove the register cover and stick your hand down into the register duct and feel for a damper ( a metal plate ) and ensure it is open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:53 pm 

Thanks so much! We have hardwood so no hidden vents. I will check the cold air return - I have a feeling it doesn't work - it's up near the ceiling. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 am 

tvizz wrote:
Thanks so much! We have hardwood so no hidden vents. I will check the cold air return - I have a feeling it doesn't work - it's up near the ceiling. Thanks again!

Cover up the one in your basement in the summer and help force it to take the warmer air from upstairs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 am 

Hodor wrote:
Cover up the one in your basement in the summer and help force it to take the warmer air from upstairs.

Call me crazy (CRAZY!) but I do the opposite. I cover my main floor ones for the hottest months, leave the basement returns open - cold air naturally falls and I want to pull all that awesome cool air BACK UP from the basement to mix in with the rest of the house - balances the temperature between the floors better this way. OTHERWISE, we're just pulling the hottest air from the 2nd floor and having to cool that down solely with AC.
Also, try leaving the master bedroom doors CLOSED all day to confirm if it is a circulation problem in that room. One supply vent is probably not enough in that room, I agree. I have seen your problem before in your model, though. Early phases it doesn't seem like they believed in the 'vent below every window' methods... lol

search for Milton's Favourite Realtor!

REVEL REALTY -- MILTON'S FAVOURITE REAL ESTATE BROKERAGE, as voted by YOU!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:17 am 

Bitch you crazy.

Cover the basement intake and let your fan run 24x7. Helped me, at least. My theory is it gets all that stagnant warm air at the top of the house mixed up with the cooler air elsewhere. Someone needs to do an actual scientific experiment on this.

BUT - by far the biggest difference was getting 5 solar powered vents installed when we had our roof redone last year. $50 a pop, and dropped the upstairs temp by 4°F, no joke.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:23 am 

Why would I cover the basement intake when it's got the coldest air down there? I cover the main floor intakes, and cover the basement supplies, and take back the FREE 17 degree air from my basement floor and mix it in, just by running fan and keeping bedroom doors closed. Still pulling in the warmer air from the 2nd floor. AND better balancing between floors!
Try it - you'll like it!

search for Milton's Favourite Realtor!

REVEL REALTY -- MILTON'S FAVOURITE REAL ESTATE BROKERAGE, as voted by YOU!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 am 

No question about it -

:arrow: The basement air return should not be closed. Air from the basement also needs to be "conditioned" and circulated to remove the humidity from the air down there. The basement air return could be slightly closed but not completely blocked. As well, in the basement a couple of the supply registers could be closed but not all registers should be blocked. At least one supply register should be left open in the basement to allow for some circulation in the basement.

I suspect the OP's problem is a significant attic insulation shortage, a very common problem when that home was built. As a result the second floor ceilings in this home are likely hotter than they should be.

:idea: Hopefully the OP does not have some dirty old furnace filter OR a filter that restricts air flow too much.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 am 

Okay now I think that every house is different. It's almost like Mattamy has no consistency whatsoever when building these things. Go figure!!

...I'm gonna try Fred's method today.