HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:31 pm 

Whats the earliest/latest acceptable time you can mow your lawn?

I'm pretty sure that the noise by-law is from 9:00 pm to 7:00 am, however I couldn't find any "lawn mowing etiquette guidelines". I just want to double check with you guys, Do you think 9am-7pm is acceptable?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 pm 

I think on a weekend, you should wait until 10am as a courtesy.

That's great of you to be this considerate, thank you. Im an early riser, but still find it not ideal to hear a mower at 8am because for most, daily life has long, stressful, days, and the wkd is really the only time to sleep in a bit from the grind of the week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:51 pm 

Cut anytime you want, people work shift work and even if you waited until 10am someone could just be going to bed, really you're not going to make everyone happy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:33 pm 

Thank you for considering how annoying this can be to your neighbours, it's a pet peeve of mine to hear (and smell) a trimmer or a mower pretty much anytime on a Saturday or Sunday, right up there with dump-n-run dog walkers.

If you value your own yard as an outdoor space, maybe skip weekends altogether and do this Wednesday or Thursday between 5pm and say 8pm, so you can find it done and ready for you when you want it Saturday morning. It gives clippings a day or two to settle down and not get on people's feet. Several other good reasons. And if you're in 90% of HV for yard size, don't tell me you don't have 12 or 13 minutes to do this!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 pm 

did not think the lawn mower time was an issue as all the newly built houses, only a small percentage comes with front and back yard. It only takes 5 minutes for front and another 5 minutes for back yard.

When the doors and windows are closed, it should not matter that the neighbor is mowing the lawn. Generally it is better not to mow early in the morning. If you are an early goer, then you may want to spend some time to remove all the weeds that have grown up and then to mow the lawn later.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
I think on a weekend, you should wait until 10am as a courtesy.

10AM is a tad late no? I would think most people finished work and out to visit by that time

Either way I say the idiots who insist on leaving dogs outside are far more annoying than a lawnmower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:07 pm 

can you imagine I had a tenant living in my neighbor's house leaving the dog outside during the winter time and it was also raining with sub par temperature, the dog was making howling sound all night, they finally took the dog inside in the wee hours.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:45 am 

8am weekdays 10am weekends.

Nexxxt!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 am 

Thank you all for your feedback! Usually I do it on Sundays 10-11 am, it works better with my schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm 

zamboni wrote:
Cut anytime you want, people work shift work and even if you waited until 10am someone could just be going to bed, really you're not going to make everyone happy.

Shift workers understand their hours are weird, and take steps to mitigate things like people mowing lawns and stuff while they are sleeping. Don't worry about them. Source: used to work shifts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm 

We normally do it around 9am weekends. We try to get it done before it gets too hot and while the kid isn't begging to go outside yet.

If you ask my neighbor, pre-6am is the appropriate time to install block paving on long weekends.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:59 pm 

cov-canuck wrote:
If you ask my neighbor, pre-6am is the appropriate time to install block paving on long weekends.

Last summer we had an audible neighbour cutting tile with (what I surmised to be) an angle grinder, on 10 minute on-and-off sessions for hours and hours any old time he wanted to, spanning about 2 months. Man people suck now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 am 

some goof ball thought it was a good idea to mow his lawn at 11:15pm one night. sounded like he was running things over he couldn't see and after a nice loud clunk, his mower stopped and all i could hear was him trying to restart it for a good 10mins and he gave up LOL