HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Garden shed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 am 

I am planning to get a Rubbermaid 7x7 resin garden shed. Can someone please tell me if these kinds of resin sheds are always secured to the ground? Has anyone here that has one have it secured to a concrete base? I just can't seem to get a straight answer...some say, the weight of stuff you put in will hold it down but I fear those winds in the fall! :)

Post subject: Re: Garden shed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:27 pm 

I had a concrete base poured for mine, you could also dig out, put limestone and concrete patio stones.

I have an 8 x 8 rubbermaid, it's been secured to the concrete and never had an issue in the 7-8 years it's been up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 pm 

Its just for stability
You can get away with not secured at all but might not last as long if we get some big storm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:18 pm 

I secured my 8 by 10 resin rubbermaid to 2 by 2 patios stones laid on top of 4 to 5 inches screening. I dont think you can just lay it on grass it would not be level. If its not level it wont assemble in sync. For sure your roof would not fit in . You need lay a base that will be level. Possible bases are patio stones supported by screening, or poured concrete as the other person mentioned .Some people build a base out of wood and lay it over concrete posts poured into the ground. There are many ways to support your shed but you need to support it somehow and the base must remain level .
When we did mine we laid 4 to 5 inches of screening under the patio stones and it turns out that was not enough. The weight of my contents made the rear sink a little resulting in the roof somewhat starting to pop away in the corner (but its not a big deal as it still holds) one of the side patio stones also cracked but once again not a big issue. if you don't support it on a level base its guaranteed to to move around sink depending where the weight is and if your able to get it all assembled and snapped together , it will disassemble as it starts to move. I think the best is poured concrete , but that is expensive. I also surrounded it with rocks to steer water away from it which keeps the ground dry near it offering better support from the base and ground. The cheap easy way to go is patio stones but if you had the energy dig 12 inches and fill it up with screening (that's a lot a dirt though)but 4 to 5 was not enough for me going by my experience.
And install the floor that it comes with , its much more cleaner and less damp inside. Less bugs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:38 pm 

My plastic resin shed isn't secured to the ground. Just the weight of it alone plus the contents has me not worrying about it blowing away or even shifting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:47 pm 

I built a frame from pressure treated wood, set it in the ground and screwed the shed floor to it. Seems fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:21 pm 

tee&dee wrote:
I built a frame from pressure treated wood, set it in the ground and screwed the shed floor to it. Seems fine.

How about using cedar wood instead of pressure treated wood to build the shed?