HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: solar panels
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 pm 

hey guys

what are some good options for getting solar panels?
someone was telling me there is a free gov program?

what's the best way to go about it, or is it even worth it?

thanks

Post subject: Re: solar panels
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 pm 

Have a look at some of these stories....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68201&hilit=solar+panels#p548467

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68065&p=547538&hilit=solar+panels#p547530

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63639&p=519373&hilit=solar+roof#p519264

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59262&hilit=solar+panels#p485011

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:06 pm 

Do not go with the route that has a company take control of your roof for 20 years. These are the "free" programs.

If you're going to do it, the banks are financing these projects as they are guaranteed revenue. You should be all paid off within 7-8 years then it's free money after that for the 20 year microFIT program.

I shoulda signed up when it was 80 cents a kwh, now it's 40 and it's going to drop again I'm hearing...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:33 pm 

^ Yes, the early deals are helping this debt clock get higher and higher and higher and higher ,,,,,,,,,.

Ontario Debt Clock here - click on link or copy and paste to url bar - http://www.debtclock.ca/provincial-debt ... io-s-debt/

Program is scheduled to end this year. Deals sighed before the end of the year should be honoured.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:40 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
^ Yes, the early deals are helping this debt clock get higher and higher and higher and higher ,,,,,,,,,.

Ontario Debt Clock here - click on link or copy and paste to url bar - http://www.debtclock.ca/provincial-debt ... io-s-debt/

Program is scheduled to end this year. Deals sighed before the end of the year should be honoured.

Do you have a GDP clock as well? Why are you concerned about the province's debt?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:57 pm 

there were few leaflets on the door to get into this free program. Always believed there is no such thing as free and did try to find about (did not spend too much time) but did not come up with anything contrary not to sign up until this topic came up here and reading some comments in the links provided.

Glad that I did not sign up for many reasons,:

1) replacing roof

2) selling your property

3) 20 years is too far down the road

4) Maintenance issues - no maintenance required for the panels even after 10-15 years?

5) Original installer goes out of business or new company taking over and associated issues

Last edited by Carl on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 am 

Hodor wrote:
Do you have a GDP clock as well? Why are you concerned about the province's debt?

Milton analogy:
Quote:
Since we have these possibly temporary wonderful incomes, why are we concerned about our rampant out-of-control mortgage and HELOC? What could go wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 am 

Carl wrote:
there were few leaflets on the door to get into this free program.

Left, right, red tory, or indifference had nothing to do with whether or not a person took advantage of the original program.

Why waste expressing your ideological bent in this manner. The real problem was the poorly conceived program that by contract obligates taxpayers to pay far more for the produced electricity than it is worth.

That is why over time they have reduced the amount of the payout thus neutering the appeal of the program.

I get it - the piddly amount of clean energy that this program produces may be worth slightly more but not in a province where in the GTA people are waiting up to 2 years for hip replacement surgery and being told to sit at home and eat pain killers until their surgery is booked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:19 am 

Hodor wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:

Pretty obvious really. I posted the debt clock because the original microfit program is one contributing factor to the very high speed increments of the debt clock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 am 

Yes but why care about the debt? Legit question. Isn't it only a concern if a countries GDP is weakening and would be unable to pay it off? I mean, Canada isn't Greece, and Ontario isn't poor.

And I totally agree that this provincial liberal govt suuuuucks and needs to get out, so don't jump to any conclusions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am 

Hodor wrote:
Yes but why care about the debt? Legit question. Isn't it only a concern if a countries GDP is weakening and would be unable to pay it off? I mean, Canada isn't Greece, and Ontario isn't poor.

I'm not going to bother having a discussion with you BUT I will say that debt is fine provided the money spent is put to good use. Just because a country is capable of repaying a debt does not mean they should spend money in a frivolous wasteful manner to put themselves into that debt or deeper into debt. That's really all I have to say.

:idea: You figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm 

"Not going to bother having a discussion". (Proceeds to have discussion)

Okay so you don't know then, other than a possibly misguided assumption that debt=bad.

To the internet I go!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:46 pm 

^ Well, I said "debt is fine provided the money spent is put to good use" not "debt=bad", and that's just another example as to why it is impossible to have a normal discussion with you. Have a nice day :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am 

Ontario debt politics aside, there are a number of companies that do a turnkey installation where you own the whole system. whether it is worth it depends on a number of factors. you'll have to get a quote and see. it will be a longer payback as the subsidy is lower now but that is offset by lower panel and install costs. that being said, some people do it for environmental reasons so payback isn't as much of a concern.

there should be some consideration for long term maintenance costs as well. I don't think any company gives a full 20 year warranty (and will most likely not be around that long anyways).

there is one place on my block that rented the roof and I saw they did redo the shingles this year. panels were removed and then replaced later after the reshingle. I think most of the rental places have at least a 1 time allowance for shingle replacement where they eat the cost of the panels swap.