HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: For landlords
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:46 am 

what do you do when you possibly need a new furnace or extensive repair and your landlord is not returning your emails and has no phone, and is out of the country
We obviously need heat, as well as to protect his investment in case pipes freeze, do you pay yourseld and hope he reimburses or what

Post subject: Re: For landlords
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 pm 

Is your landlord depositing your rent cheques?

This is new concept, but I am sure your out of pocket costs, you can recover from landlord. Make sure you get few quotes. It appears your landlord is a snow bird.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:27 pm 

Who pays the hydro?
I’m sure we can round up some space heaters for you. I got one you can borrow.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:32 pm 

Call one of those door to door furnace hustlers and just tell them to put it in, then register a lien on the property. I bet they are ok with that arrangement.
Or call Mason @ Nissan Air and see if you even have a real problem.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:01 pm 

With hold rent, if you can... cancel cheques - he'll find a way to get back to you...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:53 pm 

Deep wrote:
With hold rent, if you can... cancel cheques - he'll find a way to get back to you...

I was just going to say that. Pay for the repair, and put a stop payment on any rent cheques going forward. He can bring you to tribunal, but will lose horribly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 pm 

In Ontario, tenants are not allowed to withhold rent for repairs. Instead, any reparation disputes must be taken up with the Landlord and Tenant Board. The same goes for deducting rent because of repairs you've made. Deducting repair costs from your rent without landlord or court approval is against the law.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:57 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Deducting repair costs from your rent without landlord or court approval is against the law.

So is a LL that is not maintaining a vital part of a habitable residence. Trust me, withhold rent and you will get the LL's attention. He won't be going to any court to make an argument.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 am 

Your first step is to call the Landlord Tenant Board and make notes of your rights as a tenant. The landlord is required to ensure that the temperature in your rental does not get less than 20 degree C.

Technically you are not allowed to withhold rent.

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb/Brochures/Maintenance%20and%20Repairs%20(EN).pdf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

You should definitely do what Andy wrote above. These disgusting slum landlords who are only interested in collecting their rent cheques should be reported and taken to task. With so many rental properties in this town with absentee landlords who don't give a sh*t about looking after their properties we're going to be hearing more and more of these sad stories in future.

It wouldn't hurt to also contact your local town councilor and/or the Health Department. They would probably offer their assistance as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:58 pm 

All Star wrote:
You should definitely do what Andy wrote above. These disgusting slum landlords who are only interested in collecting their rent cheques should be reported and taken to task. With so many rental properties in this town with absentee landlords who don't give a sh*t about looking after their properties we're going to be hearing more and more of these sad stories in future.

It wouldn't hurt to also contact your local town councilor and/or the Health Department. They would probably offer their assistance as well.

I would imagine that these landlords are snow birds and not that they do not want to maintain it. It is just they have not anticipated for something like this. If I am the tenant and have been living there for quite some time, then I would try to repair the furnace and then collect the costs from landlord in the spring/summer time when the landlord turns up. I will keep all the documents and also any notification that I make to LTB in case there is a dispute.

If the furnace was not working even for a single day, the temperature would have dropped well below 18 degree by this time and I do not think the tenant could have managed without doing anything like space heaters.

Having no heat is a worst case scenario and coming to this board is the last thing I would do as a tenant before exhausting all the avenues.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:15 pm 

avonannie wrote:
We obviously need heat, as well as to protect his investment in case pipes freeze, do you pay yourseld and hope he reimburses or what

Also:Do you have somewhere else to stay in the meantime as you can't stay without heat and freeze to death. It might take a long time before you get any heat in the house, unless you go ahead and get the furnace either repaired or replaced at your own expense upfront.

Personally, I would be inclined to move out of that place altogether if you can and cancel all future rental cheques. Document everything including all your correspondence with the Town and the Landlord and Tenant people. Let him take you to court if he wants - he wont have a leg to stand on and, in fact, he will be ordered by the courts to pay for all your expenses incurred and also fined.

You shouldn't worry or care about "protecting his investment in case pipes freeze". Good if it happens!

Last edited by All Star on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:27 pm 

Carl wrote:
All Star wrote:

I would imagine that these landlords are snow birds and not that they do not want to maintain it. It is just they have not anticipated for something like this.

Could be that they're snowbirds, Carl, but I would think that a responsible landlord would leave a phone number where they could be reached in an emergency, if that's the case. Don't you think?
Afterall, they're still the owners of the property and if they have any brains at all they should always anticipate that anything can and could happen while they're away.
Why does the tenant have to pay upfront to have the furnace fixed and then try to recoup from the landlord? What if she doesn't have any extra money to do so? Why does she have to go through all that hazzle?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:02 pm 

For your info I did of course pay upfront for the repair after trying to contact him, so obviously I am out 300 dollars, which in this case may mean his rent cheque goes back, I have never missed a rent payment, but money is tight for everyone right now, and with a car repair and a furnace repair, at the same time, theres not much I can do I have sent another email with a photo of the bill and offered an etransfer for the rent difference , I think thats about all I can do at this point . Obviously I am not going to go without heat, and let all his pipes freeze, the idea of renting is to take care of the property, not let it go to hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:02 pm 

All Star wrote:
Carl wrote:
All Star wrote:

I would imagine that these landlords are snow birds and not that they do not want to maintain it. It is just they have not anticipated for something like this.

Could be that they're snowbirds, Carl, but I would think that a responsible landlord would leave a phone number where they could be reached in an emergency, if that's the case. Don't you think?
Afterall, they're still the owners of the property and if they have any brains at all they should always anticipate that anything can and could happen while they're away.
Why does the tenant have to pay upfront to have the furnace fixed and then try to recoup from the landlord? What if she doesn't have any extra money to do so? Why does she have to go through all that hazzle?

What ever you mentioned above not for the sake of argument.

I have seen many leave this wonderful country during winter time and they spend roughly about 6 months (eg. Florida). They do not want to be bothered by anyone, so they are not easily reachable and if they are older landlords, you can imagine, they may not even have e-mail. They may not even have internet depending where they are going.

In this case, it appears the tenant is at this place quite some time and they have not come across a situation like this before. I am sure this landlord will have other arrangement made next time around (eg. another local contact in my absence, appoint one to take care).