HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 pm 

They installed information posts on property at Derry/Ontario SE corner.
https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resource ... -Study.pdf
Developer wants 688 residential units, some of them are in 25, 20 and 16 stories buildings.
Traffic report is submitted. They calculated what only 3% of day time it is heavy....

From what my family knows by driving on this part on Derry, it is packed during working days from 4.30pm to 7pm between Derry/Holly and Derry/Ontario. To get faster to Sports Center on Derry we have to drive around on St. Laurent blvd.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:26 pm 

This will be in studies for at least this year so maybe we will all grow old and die before it gets the go ahead.
As per Colin B "That is the applicants study which Town and Regional staff will be reviewing as part of their 6-12 month technical review of the application which has not even started. The initial public meeting at council has yet to occur."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:40 pm 

Actually, we were planing to grow old in Milton and we have now three places where family members lives. So, personally, I don't care if not happens in two years. It should never happen this way.
Personally, I don't see why it can't be some low rise multiple condos here. Just like we already have nearby Derry road.
It just 25, 20 and 16 stories height which is insane. Put it where Robert Duvall lives. He seems to be in heavy support of it. And this real estate agent dude...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 am 

I wonder if the tall buildings are needed to help recoup for the cost to connect to water & drainage. A counselor had said, a while back, that the Region wanted 4 million to connect service when ppl were wondering why no developers were coming forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:20 am 

Too many people are terrified of density
We NEED density somewhere and places like Derry + 25 or across from GO are far more appropriate than old downtown Milton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:36 pm 

The density on this spot is achievable by several condos like already build and going to be build among Derry road and Main Street.
Instead they want three monsters and several townhouse rows. So, it is not about density and hookup cost.
600 units could be five six stories condos like on Main. This location has space for it.

Still, traffic on this intersession and Derry road during rush hours is already bad. And it is before very possible condo near hospital and not occupied yet, multiple condos on the opposite side not so far from JSP. I wonder, if people who are talking about dumping multi-level condos here are actually living in Milton, driving here daily and walk. Or at least aware of what is going to be build, occupied among Derry road.

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story ... -building/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 pm 

Sounds good to me!! People need somewhere to live.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

The Developer group (It's listed as KORSIAK URBAN PLANNING and MILTON URBAN RESIDENCES) is hosting their own 'public information' meeting on January 10 at the Milton Sports Centre from 7:30 to 8:30pm. They didn't list exactly which room the meeting is in, I'm assuming the large banquet room on the south side.

See https://twitter.com/RickDiLorenzo/statu ... 1518163968 when I tweeted a scanned in copy of the developers flyer about their meeting.

Keep in mind this isn't a Town of Milton meeting. The town will be conducting it's own public meeting later. But I am planning to attend the developers meeting to learn more about their application.

The land they own isn't currently zoned for the height they are proposing. The heights being proposed are currently much higher than what the town currently has planned for that area. The land is currently designated Secondary Mixed Use Node in the Town's Official Plan and high density development is encouraged in this designation. But the maximum heights permitted in the Town's Official Plan is 7 stories (currently on the books I believe). However, the Town's current official plan is out of date in terms of growth projections and intensification policies set by the province. The town is planning to bring our official plan into conformity with the Provinces Growth Plan (we are legally required to do this by the province), which could then increase the maximum height to 10 stories.

The Developer is asking for 20+ stories. Something that's about double even our future maximum of 10 :roll:

As Colin and others mentioned, there are no official technical reports or council reports yet. The documents submitted are the developers. Nothing is before council as yet.

Mr. Peppermint, Hodor, you are right in that we need intensification, and also that both Hwy 25 and Derry have been identified by the town/region as intensification corridors. But the town's definition of what intensification looks like is currently (in my opinion) very different from what I'm seeing in the press releases/news letters about this proposal from the developer.

It does seem to make sense to have the high rises as close to Derry as possible and have the low rise 3 storey townhomes further set back closer to the existing residential on the south (which was what shown in a proposed drawing the developer released). But it's a big jump from either 7 (current intensification max) or 10 stories (future intensification max) to 20+ stories that's listed in the proposal.

Keep in mind that this is a moving target. Every few years the province has been raising the intensification targets. If this property was developed prior to 2009/2008 it likely would have been 6 stories max or less back then. If it sits idle, and nothing happens, then by 2020 who knows what the future max heights will be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:04 pm 

Millside Drive apartments are 10 to 16 stories so town's official plan of 7 stories seems bogus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 am 

Hodor wrote:
Sounds good to me!! People need somewhere to live.

And they all seem to want to gather on top of Milton's
old WW2 toxic waste and munitions dumps

A 25 story building makes sense,since you'll need
the first 20 stories to act as shielding
from the radiation leaking from those corroding 45 gallon drums with
waste from the 1930s/1940s radium dial factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:32 am 

It could be easily checked with dosimeter. For radiation.

Thank you, Rick, for info. I didn't know about 10th of January meeting. It is missing on information posts we checked two days ago.
I'll come and ask why not multiple 6-7 stories building instead of three eyesores and many townhouses.

I don't think anyone in Ontario government understands what intensification by high-rise buildings is. In Richmond Hill from where developer is they did it. High-rises were build. Now major of Richmond Hill is crying for public transit. Here, in Milton, public transit situation is worse than in Richmond Hill.

Maybe Ontario Liberals as "intensificators" and Ottawa liberals as "infrastructure builders" should visit Moscow. In last two decades they build as many high-rise buildings in Moscow as in entire Canada, but it is done right. Subway was significantly extended (new stations and lines) and new round every ten minutes train route was added. It is equal to something which will go around Pickering, Markham, Vaughan, Brampton, Milton, Burlington and back to Union light train circle. We don't have none of it. In Moscow they build new high-rises, but they also build new roads. Not village joke like Derry/JSP, but tunnels, elevated highways and escalates. Putin is an evil, but Trudeau/Wynn gang does absolutely nothing, only misspending.
As result we have worst stretch of 401 highway (by same 25 road) and we have no all day Go train even on horizon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:02 pm 

Looks like they started the demo. Can Anyone confirm what's going here? There's a sign but i did not read it yet...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm 

It wouldn't surprise me if the demo was order by the town as a safety issue and not as a prelude to construction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:34 am 

Greenjp wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if the demo was order by the town as a safety issue and not as a prelude to construction.

What safety issue?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:11 pm 

Burrcold wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

What safety issue?
Building has been abandoned for years, structural integrity, transients, fire hazard, eye sore.