HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Road Snow Plows
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm 

Rebelrevolver wrote:
Hi all,

Quick question that may have been answered before....Last night around 4-430 am ish, i heard a snow plow on my street around holly and derry barreling through the streets for about 15 minutes and obviously was very loud, especially the back up alarm, woke the whole house and my neighbor up, wondering if there some sort of bylaw regarding this? Im sort of torn as at times the streets do need to be plowed of course, but is there a certain time they cant start until?

And how many times has these happened to you in a year avg?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm 

Gecko wrote:
B&T402 wrote:
So at the moment, we are in the process of having another windrow installed. The ploughs are out I guess "in preparation of more snow", but I really don't see that the existing heaps along the curbs are any different, the driving width of the road heap-to-heap appears unchanged?? But we all have new windrows to deal with now.

They're trying to improve their process. Usually they come 4 days after a storm to do our street. Today they came 4 days before (while it's pouring rain). Somebody needs to re-read the instruction sheet.

Yes, I was surprised to see them when there is no snow at all. All they did was to plough existing snow on the curb so it can be placed on our driveway. We pay them so they can clear the roads but actually put the windrow on our driveway.

Wasting tax money! They don't come whey they are needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:31 pm 

Luckily it had a long enough period of really high temps to melt. Otherwise I'd be re really really mad.
I wonder, did Milton receive some kind of infrastructure windfall from T2 or Orville Redenbacher this past year or two, or was that just normal budget "management"? It certainly was not necessary!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm 

The snow Windrow deposited at the end of driveways is difficult to remove even if you have no disabilities and have not reached the "golden oldies" generation. Imagine how challenging it is to clear the snow if you are disabled and are elderly. The town has a Windrow Program which supposedly, for a fee, will clear the end of the driveway after all the roads are plowed. However, the program kicks in only if there a 10 cm snowfall which produces a snow windrow of more than double 10 cm (a foot or 2 feet). Since most snowfalls are under 10 cm, the Windrow Program for the disabled and elderly doesn't come into effect. So if you can help out, please do so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am 

My buddy who lives in Thornhill, they have a set-up where a big plow does the street, and then a small plow follows behind and clears the snow from driveway entrances. That is a much better system, but really, I think the town has done a great job this entire season. They still prioritize Oakville and Burlington first since there are more rich ppl down there, but I have no complaints this season. They've been great.

I had an asshole neighbor park on the street the night the plows came, which created a fortress of snow on a portion of our street that is still trying to melt away. :@

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 am 

I live in a court - 13 houses. 4-5 houses are getting more then half a meter of snow, the rest: none.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:53 am 

My prior home was on the outside corner of a small street so I got 3x the widrow everyone else got.
Sometimes the plow guy took sympathy and backed up to clear half of it. Sometimes not.
Other times the neighbors finished theirs and came to help me. Then we had beers in the garage, or invited them in for wine. They all became good friends.
In my new home, if I'm out there, I just do the neighbors and the old guys. The favor rarely gets returned, and never rewarded with beer or wine, but it just feels good, so I chug along. If you think you should do it, just do it.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:34 pm 

The plows are out right now. My Street has been dry for days.
Moved the hump to the curb an inch or two on both sides of the street.
However, Filled on the drainage channel Mother Nature worked on for days.
So it ain’t a money saving initiative.

It’s become more of a nucience than benefit. I say ditch the plows in favor of sand spreaders and every man for himself. As a rider I f’n HATE sand on the roads, so put that in ur pipe. ☃️

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:43 am 

People sure like to complain about snow removal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 pm 

Hodor wrote:

Or improve stuff. Or whine about complainers. Or improve stuff.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:31 am 

Norts999 wrote:
Hodor wrote:

Or improve stuff. Or whine about complainers. Or improve stuff.

When has posting about anything here improved what the town does? Councillors don’t even come here anymore, and even when they did it had zero effect.

Good job though. You just keep on improving.... stuff.

Post subject: Milton Windrow Program
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:15 pm 

I've seen quite a few Councillors participate in discussions about various topics. Councillors could you respond to the article re: Windrow
Program Disparity article in the Milton Champion. The article is asking Councillors to lower the snowfall measure which Milton uses to active the Windrow program for seniors and the disabled. Right now the snow which has to fall is above the amounts used by Oakville and Burlington. The amount of snow that falls results in a substantially higher amount of snow windrow which ends up at the end of the driveway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 pm 

Joan wrote:
I've seen quite a few Councillors participate in discussions about various topics. Councillors could you respond to the article re: Windrow
Program Disparity article in the Milton Champion. The article is asking Councillors to lower the snowfall measure which Milton uses to active the Windrow program for seniors and the disabled. Right now the snow which has to fall is above the amounts used by Oakville and Burlington. The amount of snow that falls results in a substantially higher amount of snow windrow which ends up at the end of the driveway.

**Crickets**