HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:07 pm 

noone wrote:
also, i have 2 jobs, 3 kids, and still have time that i can browse the internet and engage in discussions on topics i am interested in.

Good for you. And FYI since you brought it up, I always try to be civil and composed whenever I post anything but I can't say the same about others on this blog, so please address your comments to them. I have nothing else to add. Have a good day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 pm 

alright then...i guess that shows that he has not read any article posted here, including his own.
this board boggles my mind sometimes...the majority of people that get up in arms about stuff never seem to have actually researched anything first, and then get mad when they are called out on it, instead of reading things with an open mind...imagine learning stuff, and maybe actually having a change of opinion after learning stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:52 pm 

All Star wrote:
Hodor: Cherry pick much? As I stated earlier there is plenty of literature out there that people can access and make up their own minds. I'm not about to get into an ongoing debate with you about this issue. It's evident that you relish playing devil's advocate and getting under people skin on just about anything and everything -- Mr. know-it-all. Where do you get the time for your non-stop posting? You're a family man with 2 small kids, do you work/have a job, or are you independently wealthy and can afford to stay home and play on the computer all day?

A common thing to do when people can't actually back up their claims is to shift the conversation to personal attacks in an attempt to discredit someone. The fact that I still live in my mom's basement and post on the internet between bong rips is, to me, irrelevant.

All Star wrote:
Here's just a couple of articles you might want to read that contradict what you dug up from Google, although I doubt anything will change your mind at this point:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/ ... ects-brain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_drug_testing

Those links don't really say anything, at least nothing that I can see. Did you read mine? Did you read yours??

Also just a tip: don't actually link to the Wikipedia page, the things you want to use as sources are the little links at the bottom. Think of wikipedia as just the coles notes to help point you in the direction of the actual text you want to quote.

All Star wrote:
In conclusion, I really don't give a rat's ass what you or others want to do with your lives but please keep all your bull sh*t arguments to yourself, the rest of us aren't buying it.

Yes you do. You are clearly concerned, and perhaps legitimately so. We're still wondering though why you think the legalization of cannabis will cause people to break in to homes, presumably to steal things to sell/exchange for drugs. Is it because you think cannabis is addictive? Maybe that it is a "gateway drug" that will lead to increased heroin and cocaine abuse?

We can still have a conversation without insulting each other - so please don't do it. It accomplishes nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 pm 

All Star wrote:
noone wrote:
also, i have 2 jobs, 3 kids, and still have time that i can browse the internet and engage in discussions on topics i am interested in.

Good for you. And FYI since you brought it up, I always try to be civil and composed whenever I post anything but I can't say the same about others on this blog, so please address your comments to them. I have nothing else to add. Have a good day.

You don't always try....

All Star wrote:
you are just a young, typical know-it-all idiot who frankly doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Your numerous arrogant comments and put-downs on this forum clearly illustrate you haven't a clue about what is really important and valuable in life. You obviously still have a lot to learn on how to live a more humble, compassionate, and meaningful life. Hopefully, life will teach you these things in due time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:16 am 

Mind. Some evidence suggests that marijuana hurts your learning, memory, and attention for 24 hours after use. Evidence is less strong that your mental skills will get worse with long-term marijuana use. Limited evidence shows that marijuana hurts how you do in school or on the job.

Cancer. Limited evidence suggests that heavy marijuana use may lead to one type of testicular cancer. Researchers don’t have enough information whether cannabis affects other cancers, including prostate, cervical, and bladder cancers and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Lungs. Regular marijuana use can give you constant coughs and phlegm. They may go away when you stop smoking. It’s unclear if marijuana can lead to asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder. Cannabis actually helps open the airways at first. But evidence shows that regular marijuana use will make your lungs not work as well.

Mental health. People with schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders may be more likely to use marijuana heavily. Researchers have also found links between cannabis use and bipolar disorder, major depression, and childhood anxiety. What’s hard to untangle is if marijuana use leads to mental illness, or if it’s the other way around.

Babies and children. Infants born to women who smoke marijuana while pregnant are more likely to be underweight, be born too early, and need neonatal intensive care. But researchers don’t have enough information to say much about how the babies do later in life.

Secondhand smoke. You probably won’t get high by breathing in someone else’s marijuana smoke. Very little THC is released in the air when they breathe out. Chances are very small that secondhand cannabis smoke will cause you to fail a drug test.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:20 am 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/ ... /marijuana

For example, a study from New Zealand conducted in part by researchers at Duke University showed that people who started smoking marijuana heavily in their teens and had an ongoing marijuana use disorder lost an average of 8 IQ points between ages 13 and 38. The lost mental abilities didn't fully return in those who quit marijuana as adults.

Meier MH, Caspi A, Ambler A, et al. Persistent cannabis users show neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109(40):E2657-E2664. doi:10.1073/pnas.1206820109.

Increased heart rate. Marijuana raises heart rate for up to 3 hours after smoking. This effect may increase the chance of heart attack. Older people and those with heart problems may be at higher risk.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:22 am 

Beyond the obvious stoner mentality + the stink of the lower class who smokes

Things such as breathing problems, increased cancer rates, and heart attacks should be enough to scare most semi-intelligent people off

One interesting thing nearly all studies say though

Same as alcohol or tobacco, the effects of marijuana are far worse on a younger user than an older one
Development is the main issue with the drug itself and making it more accessible is stupid really

Post subject: It Has Begun
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:10 am 

We have heard all the rhetoric about marijuana not impairing you blah blah blah
See what happened over in Markham a day after?

York Regional Police say a driver was arrested for being impaired by drugs following a major accident in Markham this morning.

According to police, on Friday, October 19, shortly after 2:30 am, they were called to Highway 7 in the area of Commerce Valley Drive for a serious collision involving a compact sport utility vehicle and a tractor-trailer.

When officers arrived they located both vehicles with significant damage, and the tractor-trailer was leaking fuel onto the roadway. The accident resulted in Highway 7 being closed for nearly five hours.

Investigators believe that the driver of the compact sport utility vehicle was under the influence of drugs at the time of the collision.

The 23-year-old man from the City of Markham has been charged with impaired driving by drug

“We are concerned that the recent legalization of recreational cannabis will result in more incidents of impaired driving,” said Chief Eric Jolliffe.

“We are urging anyone that has used cannabis, any other type of drug, or consumed alcohol, to not get behind the wheel. Our citizens can expect to see our officers on patrol and conducting RIDE spot checks throughout the region in an effort to stop anyone who has made the choice to drive while impaired.”

York Regional Police wants to remind motorists that an impaired-related charge in any vehicle will result in an immediate 90-day driver’s license suspension, the requirement for an ignition interlock device for at least six months on all vehicles you operate, as well as a mandatory education or treatment program.

Last week, the City of Markham officially banned cannabis smoking in public areas.

Post subject: Re: It Has Begun
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:18 am 

USA study showing increases in car accidents in states with legalized marijuana

https://www.iihs.org/frontend/iihs/docu ... hx?id=2173

Canadian study showing car accidents prior to legalization (stay tuned for next update)

http://tirf.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/ ... -7-pdf.jpg
http://tirf.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/ ... -7-pdf.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:40 pm 

Now that weed is legal, it literally does not mean that consumption goes up....... so the same amount of weed is smoked regardless of it being legal or not. No one is going to be like "oh gee it's legal now, better start becoming a marijuana user".

So literally NOTHING changes except for buying from your dealer vs. buying from the government. Most people will still continue to buy from their dealer because it is SO much cheaper. Legalization literally only removes the "criminality" portion of this issue, and frees up judicial resources. NOTHING ELSE CHANGES. LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE. NO ONE IS GOING TO START SMOKING MORE WEED lol..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:24 pm 

eeninety wrote:
Legalization literally only removes the "criminality" portion of this issue, and frees up judicial resources.

This apparently is not as true as blindly hoped for. Depending on the jurisdiction, there are up to 40 New laws to break, mostly around potheads trying to mimic sober social behaviours e.g.: workplaces, job sites, vehicle operation, etc. plus all the legal liabilities relating to these things. That is: more work for the coppers and courts, not less. Decriminalization would have done a better job of this point.

I love how this issue has begun to resemble climate change, with resounding slapdown claims that "THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED". Prediction: The science ain't settled. This will take appropriately one human lifetime to rattle through the pipes before we gain an actual database to make judgements. In the meantime we get to chuck all the bricks we have been chucking, with impunity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:49 pm 

I agree there will be both pros and cons - I just think over time the pros will be significantly higher.

There will also be hiccups and bumps along the road, as would be expected in any major nationwide shift in social policy. The thing is, prohibition wasn’t working, and from everything I’ve seen the majority of the population thinks cannabis should be legal. And really, at the end of the day most of us don’t have anything to do with using weed, so it really doesn’t affect our lives whatsoever.

Sure has caused a lot of hubbub, though!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:03 pm 

Ok. So let's make this the universal meme for this debate until convincing facts emerge.

Attachments:
Thats_just_your_opinion.jpg
Thats_just_your_opinion.jpg [ 24.89 KiB | Viewed 1957 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm 

The Dude obliges.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 pm 

Hodor wrote:
I just think over time the pros will be significantly higher.

You are correct even if you typed this in error :lol:

They will be significantly higher

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next