HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 pm 

my wife and I met for a quick bite at goodfellas pizza tonight. We both drove there in separate care and parked side by side in the empty parking lot at the plaza. Unfortunately we parked in front of the UPS Store and did not realize that the restaurant is not park of the plaza. The plaza owner at 7 PM on Friday is handing our parking tickets - of which I now have 2.

$80 later I just want to let you know that you should be careful where you park if you visit this restaurant because even though the plaza is closed you will get a ticket. Its too bad that the owner, who apparently is authorized by the town to hand out tickets, feels it necessary to do so but I guess it competes his life.

By the way. Goodfellas was very enjoyable!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 pm 

Greg88 wrote:
, who apparently is authorized by the town to hand out tickets

Cheers!

Huh? I’d look into that a bit more.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 pm 

I will - left a message for the town. Spoke to the guy as well. Sounds crazy but I have 2 tickets that says its true. Lets see what the court says!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:30 pm 

That is probably on similar legal ground as the Imperial Parking lot paid parking lots, and other private property "public" parking outfits. I got one about 4 years ago, for a frivolous infraction of their rules. In my case, the advice I got was that these things are basically an invoice, not a legal ticket. I read their ticket, since I paid with my credit card, they maintain the right to put a report on your credit score (whatever that's called). I ignored it, and they never did, end of story.

I would like to hear the answer about the ToM level of involvement or authority over this, but it's probably that they just allow a private property owner to do this, and would not intervene. Why would they care?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:59 pm 

the tickets state town of milton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:05 pm 

Attachments:
20180216_190307 low.jpg
20180216_190307 low.jpg [ 31.23 KiB | Viewed 2864 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 pm 

They were ticketing cars on Thur about 5:45pm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:59 pm 

Your potato doesn't make very clear images. Does that say "Certificate" of parking infraction? I'm surprised the ToM has an iron in that fire, backing a private property owner, maybe acting as a subcontractor? I've never heard of that before.

I still wonder if there's a legal hair to be split here, I think you need to check into this more, and don't just lay down on it. I'd ride that to the gates of HECK before I paid it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 am 

That sounds real shady. Where does it tell you to pay? The Town of Milton or somewhere else?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:46 am 

The one on the right doesn’t even have an infraction ticked off.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:18 pm 

If a ticket is on your windshield, just walk into one of the stores on their property and buy something very cheap (like a chocolate bar).
Bring the receipt with you and tell them that were a shopper with a reason to be on the property.
After all, are the stores not inviting you to park and shop there.

Great spot for exposure to customers. Bad place to have a restaurant for parking. 9 Spots to share with another business.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm 

yea a bigger picture would be better - this looks shady... and if they are purporting themselves to be authorized by the town, I'm sure the town would like to know about that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 pm 

Toronto does the same thing. I don't know the process required to be authorized to give out tickets, but when we lived downtown many years ago I got a few that were legitimate City tickets. Not in the pay lots, normally for parking on private property near coffee shops, etc. Similar situation to the one here in Milton.

Let us know what happens, but I expect the town will tell you they're legit.

Diamond Award Winner - Top 3% in Canada
http://www.TheHomeHunter.ca
905-878-8101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm 

These tickets are legit. I got one in Toronto and went to the Toronto Ticket office and they confirmed that the ticket was issued by the private property owners. As such these private property owners have the authority from the Town to issue these tickets and the ticket itself will look same as that the one issued by the Town.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 pm 

Carl wrote:
These tickets are legit. I got one in Toronto and went to the Toronto Ticket office and they confirmed that the ticket was issued by the private property owners. As such these private property owners have the authority from the Town to issue these tickets and the ticket itself will look same as that the one issued by the Town.

Uh, this ain’t Toronto. We just say that to people online who ask where we live.
Where is the “Toronto Ticket office” anyway? I can’t believe you said that. Silly Carl.

-Randy-South Park