HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 am 

My sump pump runs extremely busy, and usually run every 6 to 8 minutes during melting or rain. The City of Milton has identified there was grading issue around the pump outlet but the problem persists after Mattamy repaired the grading. Anyone has experienced similar issues? Is it grading related, or the water is simply recycling and not draining properly?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 am 

Can you place a long pvc pipe so that the water from the sump pump gets to the rear rear yard and not coming back?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 pm 

Some sumps never need to run, some sumps only run during rain and snow melts, and some unfortunate home owners have sumps that run all the time.

Sometimes there is nothing a person can do to improve the situation and sometimes just basic things like better directing downspouts away from the home helps.

Sometimes hidden issues like poor lot grading below the top soil contributes to the problem. For example - if the less permeable heavy sub soil is sloped towards the homes then water will be directed to the home even if the more permeable top soil is sloped away from the home.

Lot grading around many new construction homes is not done very well.

Back fill, the less permeable heavy soil is supposed to slope away from the home AFTER it settles but this is often not done properly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 pm 

Don't forget to get a battery back up for the pump till the problem is resolved.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am 

Wyl wrote:
Don't forget to get a battery back up for the pump till the problem is resolved.

http://pumpspy.com/

Anyone look at this? I like the telemetry. Always good to know what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:05 pm 

Wyl wrote:

I got this one when we finished our basement. Very happy we did!

https://www.basementwatchdog.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm 

Burrcold wrote:
Wyl wrote:

How long have you been running that battery system? How long does a battery typically last? I know they're kind of spendy, almost as much as the rest of it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:59 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
Burrcold wrote:
Wyl wrote:

How long have you been running that battery system? How long does a battery typically last? I know they're kind of spendy, almost as much as the rest of it!

Just since the summer when we completed the basement. They are marine batteries and should last at least 5 years. For me it was well worth the cost vs having our $45k basement flood.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 am 

That sounds smart, using a back-up I mean. I had been reading online reviews around the interwebs FWIW, and the only long-term reviews were people complaining their $200-300 batteries kakked out in a year, none confirming the promised 5 years. I'm on the fence about whether this style or the water jet sump back-ups would be best.

I'm on the brink of a partial post-flood reno after Halton's water meter pipe seals failed. General warning: if you have a 10-15 year old meter (read: "house"), yours may be about to betray you. It was the rubber seal on the fitting between the meter outlet and our pipes. They repaired ours free of charge, I wonder if they would pre-emptively repair these things? It's literally just 2 rubber "hose gasket" seals on the inlet and outlet sides.

Here's Halton's program accepting responsibility for faulty meters http://www.halton.ca/cms/One.aspx?porta ... eId=157952. This appears to be an "invitation only" program, for stuff older than Mattamy ca. 2002, changing the whole meter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:54 am 

Burrcold wrote:
Wyl wrote:

Do you have the connected/phone alarm version or just the battery backup and alarm? I find horns in the basement generally useless if you happen to be at work...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 pm 

Gecko wrote:
Burrcold wrote:
Wyl wrote:

Do you have the connected/phone alarm version or just the battery backup and alarm? I find horns in the basement generally useless if you happen to be at work...

I have the one that's connected to my phone and an app on my phone. It's not a complete failsafe, but it could mean the difference between a total loss and a small clean-up. Realistically the main feature I was looking for was just the battery back-up, so the warning on my phone just makes me feel extra good about spending the money lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 am 

Yes, most of milton is in low lying flood zone, so one insurance company told me. Go figure what that means in long run.
I had sam problem, run down spouts away from home and EXTEND pipes to street or rear of yard in fall, winter and spring. 4" diameter flex plastic black pipe comes in a role at hw store us excellent for that.
Do not install battary operated sump pump if yours runs frequently, because the battary will die or be dead very quickly! I installed a city water oprated sump pump. It use one gallon of city water for ever two gallons it pumps out of pit. It requires no electricty, it costs about $200 at large stores like Noble and the other supplier, large box stores do not sell it. I think is call Liberty backup pump. I installed it, just in case Mattamys pump which has no name or model markings on it fails. I did put up another blog with Liberty in it so search forvthat and utube video to install.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:08 pm 

Is it at all possible to use a UPS back-up for the sump pump, or are thoses recommended only for computers?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
Is it at all possible to use a UPS back-up for the sump pump, or are thoses recommended only for computers?

Some might, but I have a good ups backup for my office computer, modem, screen, etc., but the only thing that it will not protect is my printer because it has a small motor.

For sumps, typicaly a trickler is used to charge a car or marine grade battery. In case of a power failure that type of battery should last long enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:46 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
AlphaMale wrote:

Some might, but I have a good ups backup for my office computer, modem, screen, etc., but the only thing that it will not protect is my printer because it has a small motor.

For sumps, typicaly a trickler is used to charge a car or marine grade battery. In case of a power failure that type of battery should last long enough.

Pardon my ignorance. I do have a marine battery and a Motomaster invertor (one of those things with + and - clamps that you clip to the battery, and then you can plug things in), could something like that work for the sump pump in case of a power outage?