HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Council
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm 

This is an election year. Are our current Mayor and Councillors responsive to the taxpayer? Is it time for change?
What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Council
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 pm 

God, has it been 5 years already?

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013 ... _hall.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm 

Regional: All of my vote energy rests solely on the continued performance of the traffic light at Derry and 5th line.

Ward: I can’t even remember the name of my ward councilor. It’s like the guy won and then just sort of vanished.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:16 pm 

NotHawthorny wrote:

Yes! But I think we elect for 4 years, but it probably feels like 5. The election in, I think, October 2018 will be somewhat different, since there are only 4 town councilors and 4 regional councilors to be elected. I don't think this would make a difference, since all regional councilors sit on town council. However, I believe some councilors (Hamid and Malboeuf) want to have their own staff since they feel that if they are elected as a town councilor, they will have a heavier work load, since each ward will be larger. The irony of their position is that they voted to reduce the number of town councilors to 4 so there would be a cost savings for the taxpayer. So will hiring more staff be a savings?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:19 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Regional: All of my vote energy rests solely on the continued performance of the traffic light at Derry and 5th line.

Ward: I can’t even remember the name of my ward councilor. It’s like the guy won and then just sort of vanished.

Don't worry if you can't remember. As we get closer to the election, he will cometh forth for your vote.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:07 pm 

I can't see Gord running again this time around, I think he'll step off the merry-go-round in a month or three. I think it's someone else's turn now that records have been cemented, GK is the Gretzky of municipal politics!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 pm 

Prickly Pete for mayor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:47 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Prickly Pete for mayor.
No No, Cactus Jack, much more suited.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm 

Well why not both of them? They'd be like the Ford brothers, Best can wait one more cycle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:43 am 

Wait....lets add Hodor to the mix and we'll have The Three Musketeers :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:15 pm 

Joan wrote:
NotHawthorny wrote:

Yes! But I think we elect for 4 years, but it probably feels like 5. The election in, I think, October 2018 will be somewhat different, since there are only 4 town councilors and 4 regional councilors to be elected. I don't think this would make a difference, since all regional councilors sit on town council. However, I believe some councilors (Hamid and Malboeuf) want to have their own staff since they feel that if they are elected as a town councilor, they will have a heavier work load, since each ward will be larger. The irony of their position is that they voted to reduce the number of town councilors to 4 so there would be a cost savings for the taxpayer. So will hiring more staff be a savings?

I have never stated that I want to have a staff member so I don't know where you got that information, but I would suggest before making such statements you confirm your facts. My position has always been to reduce the size of government not increase it. So let me be clear if I am elected to regional council I will not be asking for additional staff nor will I support any recommendation to do so.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:04 pm 

Rick Malboeuf wrote:
Joan wrote:
NotHawthorny wrote:

I have never stated that I want to have a staff member so I don't know where you got that information, but I would suggest before making such statements you confirm your facts. My position has always been to reduce the size of government not increase it. So let me be clear if I am elected to regional council I will not be asking for additional staff nor will I support any recommendation to do so.

Rick

Well, there goes my chances of a cushy government job. Looks like it’s off to the rail yard for me :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 am 

Joan wrote:
This is an election year. Are our current Mayor and Councillors responsive to the taxpayer? Is it time for change?
What are your thoughts?

Are the councillors' positions still going to be part-time or are they going to be converted to full-time appointments?

As for being responsive to their taxpayers, we haven't seen or heard from ours since the last election when he came around the neighborhood asking for our votes. However, he makes sure to be always front row and present for all media photo shoots.

Over a month ago, I send him an email requesting some information and his input regarding some serious potential problems in our neighborhood. To date, he hasn't had the decency to at least acknowledge receipt of my email nor made any other attempt to address any of our concerns.

Is it time for change? From my discussions with various people around town the consensus seems to be that taxpayers are genuinely dissatisfied with their local councilors and would like to see new people representing them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm 

All Star wrote:
Joan wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Are the councillors' positions still going to be part-time or are they going to be converted to full-time appointments?

As for being responsive to their taxpayers, we haven't seen or heard from ours since the last election when he came around the neighborhood asking for our votes. However, he makes sure to be always front row and present for all media photo shoots.

Over a month ago, I send him an email requesting some information and his input regarding some serious potential problems in our neighborhood. To date, he hasn't had the decency to at least acknowledge receipt of my email nor made any other attempt to address any of our concerns.

Is it time for change? From my discussions with various people around town the consensus seems to be that taxpayers are genuinely dissatisfied with their local councilors and would like to see new people representing them.

I'll second this motion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:09 pm 

Are you sure Rick? Have you had a lapse in memory? THINK VERY HARD ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY IN VARIOUS PLACES AROUND TOWN.

Do you mean that by reducing the number of wards in town, you reduce the size of government? However, the argument goes that since each ward has more constituents in a 4 ward structure, then each Councillor has more work to do, and, therefore, needs office staff in order to do the work. Is this reducing the size of government?

IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE! There should be a 2 term limit for Mayor and Councillors.

Quote:

Rick