HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:03 pm 

Be safe, go with Ollie's. They are the most reputable in town.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:59 pm 

We had our roof replaced by Done Right Roofing two years ago. They ended up doing 4 homes on our street.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:47 am 

What is the cost range to do shingles nowadays (with a reputable company) for a typical semi-detached home where two joined houses get done at once?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:35 am 

AlphaMale wrote:
What is the cost range to do shingles nowadays (with a reputable company) for a typical semi-detached home where two joined houses get done at once?

Doesn’t matter. Just get a few quotes and get it done.

Your costs will vary depending on the type of shingles used, the complexity of the job, the “extras” that will be included (clean up, vent types, valleys, underlayment), how much the quote guy likes you, and how Vietnamese the workers are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:

Ill let you know what I get.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:33 pm 

Get 3 quotes. Make sure Ted at Silvercreek Roofing is one of them. Done Right for the second and roll the dice on the third.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm 

Is it the wrong time of year to do a roof?

I been since last week waiting to get a quote from 1 company that was recommended here. and now 3 days from another.

They were both the biggest ones listed in this thread.

I dont get it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 pm 

The year we thought we were going to do our roof (2012), we called a highly plugged roofer recommended here in mid-April. After three attempts over six weeks of them inexplicably not calling back, we decided they sucked and let it go until the next year, thinking it was too late to get a June date booked to suit us.

So the next year, we called the other highly plugged roofer recommended here on a mid-April morning, and had the job Quoted the next day. Once we chose them of the 3 Quotes we got, a week later they called back to line us up to do it for first week of June, which is what happened. Done Right.

It's all about labour availability I think, they just don't want to commit before they have crews lined up. Especially true of the roofing trade in such a ratty-roof market as Milton, an endless supply of burned-off builder's roofs, going phase to phase to phase - forever. It is a bit hard to believe though isn't it, what would it take to simply return a call or twenty a day?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 pm 

Wow ok. I guess ill try another company. I mean its still march. Some roofer must want my money. I highly doubt every roofer is drowned with work.

And to be honest I already lost interest in the two companies I contacted. If your not gonna call back when you dont have my money yet I am sure you wo t call back later.

Im kinda shocked at their reaction. Im not looking for a deal im looking for reliable. The reaction of the two companies I have attempted tell me Ide be better off calling the Vietnamese guys.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 am 

007 wrote:
Wow ok. I guess ill try another company. I mean its still march. Some roofer must want my money. I highly doubt every roofer is drowned with work.

And to be honest I already lost interest in the two companies I contacted. If your not gonna call back when you don't have my money yet I am sure you wo t call back later.

Im kinda shocked at their reaction. Im not looking for a deal im looking for reliable. The reaction of the two companies I have attempted tell me Ide be better off calling the Vietnamese guys.

Yes. So strange how some of Milton's local roofers respond, or don't respond sometimes. When I got my roof done I got 3 local quotes. One roofer only wanted to install cheap 3-tab shingles that I didn't want.

But the real fun was - while one roofer was at my house a truck from another roofer that I got a quote from drove by. The roofer at my house said the roofer guy in the truck was on steroids and to avoid him :shock: An hour later the guy in the truck phoned me a asked why I would call that #@%&!@& @$$ #@&$ for a quote, and that he gave me a great price, and that the #$$ #@!& I was talking to was is a herion addict :shock: He then told me I could shove my #@%&!#@ house where the sun don't shine :? Maybe that aggressive foul mouthed reaction was a result of all the steroids he was taking :) or possibly he was just having a very bad day.

Hopefully the Milton "roofer war" is over now, but I needed to get quotes from out of town roofing companies.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:25 am 

007 wrote:

And to be honest I already lost interest in the two companies I contacted. If your not gonna call back when you dont have my money yet I am sure you wo t call back later.

So who did you call? Wouldn’t be the first time we’ve heard Ollie’s roofing not returning calls. That’s gotta be one - what’s the other?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 am 

In 2015 when I built my detached garage I again called a couple local companies but they were too busy or not interested. Then I found Lloyd at Strata Roofing who promptly came over and fit me into his schedule. What a great guy and what a pleasure to work with. Lloyd gave me a fair price and did a great job as he installed shingles, a skylight, and a couple custom Ventilation Maximum vents on my garage roof.

Like most roofing companies - Lloyd can only fit in so many jobs. If you think you need a new roof this summer then NOW is the time to make plans.

Say hello to Lloyd for me - Strata Roofing - 905 299 2372

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:56 am 

+1 for Lloyd! He does great work, reliable and just a great guy.

I've basically got him on retainer, LOL. I need someone to come back regularly and fix the shingles that go flying off every time the wind gusts past 12 km/hr. :shock: :shock:

Thanks Mattamy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43 am 

I tried Ollie's who has me in queue for a quote. Over a week later still in queue is a turn off. And done right roofing doesnt acknowledge I exist.

I have to do it this summer. Its a 2001 roof. I wanted to do it 2 years ago but im a semi and neighbor was not wanting to yet.

In ollies defense they acknowledged me but having not got a quote yet has me worried that by the time they get to me its too late. I wanted a quote last or this week so i can get the funds ready and pull the trigger second week of April or whenever they can.

At work in a meeting right now. I think when I get out Ill give Lloyd a ring and see how that goes.

Im just shocked these guys can afford to have business walk away. Im a person that needs a good sized roof done looking for quality work and ready to pay in full. Do companies not look for this?

Last edited by 007 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:05 pm 

Ahh yes, another person who doesn't take old Hodor's advice, and another person who remains dissatisfied. Old Andy's guy is probably a safe bet as well.

People love to recommend people they haven't actually used here - it's kind of funny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next