HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:34 pm 

Hello,

There are some threads on this from a few years ago but I thought I would check with those of you who may have recently had a retractable screen installed. There are those you can buy at Home Depot - but there are no reviews online - has anyone purchased one there? I'm also looking into Phantom, Mirage (through Costco) and Clearview but I have a feeling all of the doors are probably manufactured at the same place regardless the company. If you have any experience having one of these doors, I would appreciate your feedback. I have someone who can install it, so looking more to learn more about the quality of the door you've had installed and if it seems to be standing the test of time.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:55 pm 

I have been using Mirage from Costco for almost a year now and no problems at all. Its well built.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:25 am 

tvizz wrote:
Hello,

There are some threads on this from a few years ago but I thought I would check with those of you who may have recently had a retractable screen installed. There are those you can buy at Home Depot - but there are no reviews online - has anyone purchased one there? I'm also looking into Phantom, Mirage (through Costco) and Clearview but I have a feeling all of the doors are probably manufactured at the same place regardless the company. If you have any experience having one of these doors, I would appreciate your feedback. I have someone who can install it, so looking more to learn more about the quality of the door you've had installed and if it seems to be standing the test of time.

Thanks in advance!

right off the bat, you just lost Phantom, and Mirage as they will not sell it to you. you need to get through them and their installer. I'm not sure about clearview though. mind you this was about 2 yrs ago when i looked at my options and not sure if it's changed at all. If it is, mind letting me know as I'd like to revisit installing one of these as well

edit: forgot to add that the reason for them wanting to do the install in because of their lifetime warranty. i asked if i can fore go their warranty and buy to install myself and the answer was no

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:35 am 

I am looking for the same thing. Was told that phantom screens need to be ordered through their distributors and installation only done by phantom. Maybe a group buy opportunity?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 am 

They all cost the same. Phantom is through HD and Mirage is through Costco. They are both well built. You cannot buy them else where... at least not to my knowledge. But I can vouch for the product and they are well built. Its good they have the lifetime warranty as probably the mechanism can get stuck over period of use, dust and other debris getting into the channels??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:58 am 

I recently installed one of the Home Depot off-the-shelf models in a customer's home. I was quite surprised at the quality. I have a phantom at my own house that was here from the previous owner. I would say quality is equal or better.
This is the unit I bought and installed. I believe it was cheaper in store than on the website. I'm pretty sure I paid less than 300 for it a couple months ago.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.bris ... 07976.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:00 am 

Phantom doors are installed by Ontario Screen Systems in Mississauga. That's also where the warranty parts come from. If you order from HD, they will send the info to Ontario Screen Systems and you will get a call from one of their agents to set up an appointment for measuring and installation.
Maybe try calling them direct, might be cheaper, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:20 am 

Hi Tvizz

You can get the price list off the web site but its ass backwards.
Do not use the Canadian site, instead go to

www.phantomscreens.com

click on the pricing tab, type in your postal code where instructed and you will get the prices for all doors

here is the link

http://www.phantomscreens.com/retractab ... r-pricing/

still call Ontario Screens to confirm the on line price and if in CDN funds

Our neighbours went with the retractable screens from Home Depot and he installed them in 30 minutes each, looks great. We are going the same route and had Lowes price match the Home Depot price-Lowes then took a further 10% off, came to just over $600 for two sets of double French door screens. Ordered them on line and they were delivered to the house for free yesterday. Going to install them this weekend.

The brand is Brisa made by ODL in Concord, as long as you want a white frame you will not have to wait long to get them

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search ... creendoors

https://www.lowes.ca/search/default.asp ... ggestion=1

opie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:27 am 

Looking to have a type of screen installed for my back door.

Debating between the retractable screen versus and aluminum screen door. Any recommendation which one might better?