HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:19 pm 

Hi All,
Anyone know how to adjust the max hotness temperature of this shower handle? The hottest the water gets is barely lukewarm. The sink beside it gets hot.

I understand that most shower handles have a cap that pops off or a key hole to unscrew and expose a temp mixing valve of some sort. But this handle does not have either of these. All that it does have is a little push button on the side (as you can see in the pics) but no matter how hard i push it and how hard i pull the handle - it just doesn't budge.
And the top handle in the 2nd picture doesn't even move. It doesn't seem to control anything as far as I know.

I can't find a brand name or model on it anywhere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 pm 

The button probably is just fused open from years of mineral buildup. Take a cloth, wrap it around it, and use some pipe pliers or whatever they are called to squeeze it until it goes.
When it's off, soak that bitch in some CLR overnight. Things should be pretty clear after that. If it doesn't go, spray some CLR on it frequently throughout the day until you can move it.

Then before you put it all back together, figure out a way to properly cover that hole. This is some 3rd world shower sh*t right there, jeeezus.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 pm 

It may not be a tempering valve, most likely a balance valve (no adjustment). A balance valve senses the reduction of cold water pressure then limits the flow of hot water. This is great for when you're in the shower and your kid flushes the toilet. Take the pic's to Home hardware or home depot and ask them, some of their staff are retirees for the trades.

Just a suggestion, I can see the two water shut off screw, make sure both are open all the way. The one on the left will be the hot and it does not look fully open. It could be that simple. The weird part is the second handle that doesn't move.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:03 pm 

Hodor I agree that button may be seized up from calcium but I also think that button will only go in if the handle is in a certain position, also I think the button is only to remove the cowling so you can remove the cartridge.

Tubby did you remove the wall plate to see inside?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm 

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
Regarding the button, I should have been more clear. I can push it in (seems to be spring loaded) but even when I push it in all the way that doesn't seem to loosen anything or allow anything to come off.
I did remove the wall plate just to get a better view of everything.
I'll try adjusting the hot screw now ..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 pm 

Good news - the screws do indeed control hot and cold water level

Bad news - they are both already opened to the max

Good news - the cap actually does pop off of the end of the handle allowing me to unscrew and remove the handle exposing a valve of some sort (looks like the pic below)

Bad news - there's a lot of calcium build up in there and no matter which way or how much i turn the plastic ring thing, it isn't making the water hotter when i put it all back together and test it.

Worse news - By the end of my tinkering, I noticed some drops of water coming down the piping inside the wall. I hope i haven't really screwed something up in there. I closed the water shut off valves to that bathroom for now ... DIY and I don't get along. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:12 am 

The hot water shut off screw does not look fully open, in the pic, it should be in the same position as the cold one. It may just need to be worked back and forth to get it freed up to open more.

I thought you knew how to remove the handles, how did you get the wall plate passed the handles?

Also is that a tub & shower or just a shower stall. If just a shower stall then the second handle is not needed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 am 

That shower system looks to be a thermostatic system as opposed to a pressure balance. The button is likely a safety override. If you depress the button and turn counter clockwise at the same time, it should allow you to go above the preset temperature limit. Try holding the button in and turning at the same time. Our aquabrass set has the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:58 pm 

i believe the moen has an adjustment on the actual cartridge. When i replaced mine when it was leaking, there was a disc type thing on the top that apparently controls how hot the water is at the tap.

not sure what brand you have but to access it, you'll need to pull the cartridge out and take a look at it

edit: it was a delta, not moen