HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:08 am 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar ... pment.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 am 

Good article, and great to see my favourite shawarma place Hood and Grill photographed in one of the pics!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:30 am 

One of the builder in OP article is from Richmond Hill. They overbuild it to the point it takes 10-25 minutes just to get from subdivision.
http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Do/ ... mond-Hill/
As results hundreds of residents went protesting.

Now this builder looking forward to bring the same problems here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 am 

This whole thing pisses me off. i'm not against expansion as it inevitable. What pisses me off is the complete lack of planning and infrastructure. TOM/ Halton knows that there's a big subdivision going up but they don't do anything to increase the roads in and out of town. They get around to building it after the traffic is already horrible and to add, the construction shuts down a lane or 2 which makes it even worse.

I cannot believe that our trusted elected officials is that dumb that they cannot foresee the traffic congestion that's going to happen with the new subdivisions going up.

They should build the infrastructure first and then build the subdivisions or build them in conjunction with each other. They know where the new houses are going so why not build the roads first?!?!? freakin dumb!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:07 am 

denti wrote:
This whole thing pisses me off. i'm not against expansion as it inevitable. What pisses me off is the complete lack of planning and infrastructure. TOM/ Halton knows that there's a big subdivision going up but they don't do anything to increase the roads in and out of town. They get around to building it after the traffic is already horrible and to add, the construction shuts down a lane or 2 which makes it even worse.

I cannot believe that our trusted elected officials is that dumb that they cannot foresee the traffic congestion that's going to happen with the new subdivisions going up.

They should build the infrastructure first and then build the subdivisions or build them in conjunction with each other. They know where the new houses are going so why not build the roads first?!?!? freakin dumb!!!

Well-said. Most likely, their palms get greased by Mattamy and these builders, so they allow it to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:26 am 

The main issue is and has been for quite some time that development charges are nowhere near high enough

Case in point; Milton hospital
Increase in population requires more service
They get a very small amount of cash from developer (lmao @AlphaMale & conspiracy theory of greasing palms)
Then taxes for everyone gets raised
Meanwhile builder is selling for record profits as house prices just keep going up (there is no deline)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:32 am 

They also had the chance to make a f****** utopia of parks and trails all interconnecting with each other but they blew that one too.

Milton is run like it’s the first city ever, and there’s nothing to be learned from existing municipalities. Bunch o’ dummies.

But hey - if you like red lights this is your town, baby!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 am 

Quote:

You can't suck and blow at the same time! The same group of people voicing displeasure with the gridlock will be the same ones to complain about the smallest rise in their property taxes!

To your point, any idiot can "foresee the traffic congestion" when new builds happen, and in a perfect world the roads would magically widen. But at whose expense?

I'd be pissed if my property taxes doubled so that they could widen a road that seems adequate right now, because there will be 100 or 1,000 new homes going up soon and that same road will go from being busy to gridlocked! My taxes go up because there will soon be new Milton residents??? That is something that I would have a problem with!

The Town could go into debt and borrow the funds to widen the roads, but guess who pays the debt charge? Me, again. Forget that!

In my opinion, our elected officials have shown both fiscal and common sense by paying for the infrastructure costs from the builders development fees, rather than burdening existing Miltonians with expenses incurred to support future residents!

If I need someone to blame, I'd look at the elected officials in Queens Park and their "Places to Grow" legislation. Not a penny of provincial money comes into a region that is mandated to build houses...and now multi-unit buildings!

Sound fiscal reasoning is being shown by the Town of Milton, but the same can't be said for the provincial geniuses!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:09 pm 

Why the #&^$&#^%$&*^%$ aren't development charges indexed to sale price?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 am 

I don't know how the budget is laid out but my take is this.

TOM/ Halton builds the infrastructure, ie: road, hospital etc. by taking out a loan or something. They hedge this loan on the guaranteed income they will get from the taxes they'll collect from the new subdivision. It sounds pretty easy to me. But hey, maybe there's bunch of things going on in the background that cannot facilitate this.

Or maybe just tell the builders, if you want build your houses here, you need to cough up $x. Not sure if there's a law or something to prevent this and maybe I'm over simplifying but something needs to be done.

To add, I have no issues with taxes going up. If and only if it's being spent wisely which I do not believe it is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 am 

Gecko wrote:
Why the #&^$&#^%$&*^%$ aren't development charges indexed to sale price?

Legally its unfair or something
Esp in larger cities where certain areas would have an obvious lower value than surrounding areas and prime targets for redevelopement
Also since most builders price homes well above market average

denti wrote:
They hedge this loan on the guaranteed income they will get from the taxes they'll collect from the new subdivision. It sounds pretty easy to me. But hey, maybe there's bunch of things going on in the background that cannot facilitate this.

Or maybe just tell the builders, if you want build your houses here, you need to cough up $x. Not sure if there's a law or something to prevent this and maybe I'm over simplifying but something needs to be done.

To add, I have no issues with taxes going up. If and only if it's being spent wisely which I do not believe it is.

But
Think about it
Why should Mattamy make millions and YOUR taxes increase to cover expenses for new home family infrastructure?
Therein lies the issue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Why should Mattamy make millions and YOUR taxes increase to cover expenses for new home family infrastructure?
Therein lies the issue

That's what I'm getting at. Indexing to sale price would piss off the Mattamy's but it's the only sure fire way to make new development pay for itself.

I don't think that's unfair. The builders are already making what I would call unreasonable profits at the expense of the municipalities.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:56 pm 

A lot of the issues I see this town has is the daily mass exodus of 71% of the working population to Toronto or Mississauga to work. That doesnt even include the other surrounding cities people travel to work. I think it's safe to say close to 80% of Milton's working population leave town to work everyday. That's a scary figure if I own a business in town. It means most of my sales happen after 6:00 pm and weekends. Personally after sitting in traffic for over an hour per trip, the last thing I want to do is sit in more traffic to run errands. I spend most of my money in the city I work in.

This is the single largest issue Milton needs to overcome to become more then a bedroom community. Otherwise they are destined to keep digging a deeper hole with every home they build.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 am 

westender wrote:
A lot of the issues I see this town has is the daily mass exodus of 71% of the working population to Toronto or Mississauga to work. That doesnt even include the other surrounding cities people travel to work. I think it's safe to say close to 80% of Milton's working population leave town to work everyday. That's a scary figure if I own a business in town. It means most of my sales happen after 6:00 pm and weekends. Personally after sitting in traffic for over an hour per trip, the last thing I want to do is sit in more traffic to run errands. I spend most of my money in the city I work in.

This is the single largest issue Milton needs to overcome to become more then a bedroom community. Otherwise they are destined to keep digging a deeper hole with every home they build.

Milton is trying to get University on the west end (crappy one, but it is still better than nothing). Land is allocated.
Milton was in bidding for Amazon earlier and in another bidding for innovative techno hub now. Lands are allocated on the east side.

I'm not sure if 71% figure is correct. I know many people in my neighborhood who are not going anywhere every morning. They work from home...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 am 

denti wrote:
I don't know how the budget is laid out but my take is this.

TOM/ Halton builds the infrastructure, ie: road, hospital etc. by taking out a loan or something. They hedge this loan on the guaranteed income they will get from the taxes they'll collect from the new subdivision. It sounds pretty easy to me. But hey, maybe there's bunch of things going on in the background that cannot facilitate this.

If my memory serves me right, DCs collected in Mississauga were spent to build roads etc. This allowed the municipality to keep taxes very low. There was a suggestion that if those DCs had been invested in interest bearing funds to bank future repairs to deteriorating infrastructure, taxes would not have had to be raised to the high levels of today since the source of DCs had pretty well dried up.
The question is, doesn't TOM follow the same pattern as it continually advertises itself as the lowest taxed community in the region.
It is reasonable to assume then that if taxes aren't raised now to pay for expansion, they will be raised disproportionately down the road to address the crumbling infrasrtucture.