HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/l ... ailsignout

Wilfrid Laurier University and Conestoga College are partnering in a new post-secondary campus in Milton.

The Ontario government announced Wednesday it is spending $90 million to launch the campus in a neighbourhood next to the Niagara Escarpment known as the Milton Education Village.

The 150-acre campus will focus on science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics, and provide up to 2,000 undergraduate spaces in five to 10 years.

Laurier said it plans to enrol its first students in September 2019 in leased space.

“Laurier and the Town of Milton have been working toward this goal for more than a decade,” Laurier president Deborah MacLatchy said in a news release. “I want to thank our municipal colleagues, area residents and our many partners who have worked so hard to bring post-secondary education to this vibrant community.”
Advertisement

Conestoga College president John Tibbits said the college looks forward “to working with our academic, industry and government partners to deliver relevant, accessible, career-focused learning programs that support the needs of the community, contribute to personal and professional success, and contribute to economic growth for the region.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:17 pm 

Carl wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/laurier-conestoga-to-partner-in-new-campus-in-milton/ar-AAw22Mb?ocid=mailsignout

Wilfrid Laurier University and Conestoga College are partnering in a new post-secondary campus in Milton.

The Ontario government announced Wednesday it is spending $90 million to launch the campus in a neighbourhood next to the Niagara Escarpment known as the Milton Education Village.

The 150-acre campus will focus on science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics, and provide up to 2,000 undergraduate spaces in five to 10 years.

Laurier said it plans to enrol its first students in September 2019 in leased space.

“Laurier and the Town of Milton have been working toward this goal for more than a decade,” Laurier president Deborah MacLatchy said in a news release. “I want to thank our municipal colleagues, area residents and our many partners who have worked so hard to bring post-secondary education to this vibrant community.”
Advertisement

Conestoga College president John Tibbits said the college looks forward “to working with our academic, industry and government partners to deliver relevant, accessible, career-focused learning programs that support the needs of the community, contribute to personal and professional success, and contribute to economic growth for the region.”

For sure! I am digging my backyard right now in preparation for basement entrance apartment! woot woot!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:29 pm 

Does this new campus have to pay development charges or are they exempt like CN.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
Does this new campus have to pay development charges or are they exempt like CN.

This is like the only university in the world without Public transit
Metrolinx has already said no to GO & the local dinosaurs want to abolish the Milton Transit

On positive side if we open University quick enough we can have thousands of protesters lay down on Tremaine to protest intermodal traffic
You see how media eats this stuff up

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

This is like the only university in the world without Public transit
Metrolinx has already said no to GO & the local dinosaurs want to abolish the Milton Transit

On positive side if we open University quick enough we can have thousands of protesters lay down on Tremaine to protest intermodal traffic
You see how media eats this stuff up
Or the inter-modal trucks could double as transit for the students....win - win...wonder how many students will fit in one of those big containers?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 pm 

The timing of this is obvious as the Liberals seeding this riding before the election. Just like the GO station improvements announced last fall https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2017/11/ ... ilton.html

"See guys, whoosyerdaddy?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:53 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
The timing of this is obvious as the Liberals seeding this riding before the election. Just like the GO station improvements announced last fall https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2017/11/ ... ilton.html

"See guys, whoosyerdaddy?"

If Wynne doesn't win, and I don't think she will ( thank God), this might not happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:50 pm 

Sounds promising, but...
Leased space where? ex Robertson factory or Velodrome? What's the sudden rush after ten years of amnesia? Oh, election coming... so is promise to spend 90 millions of our money.
Ontario credit rate was downgraded from stable to negative rankings, BTW...
https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys- ... -PR_382318

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 am 

kf095 wrote:
Sounds promising, but...
Leased space where? ex Robertson factory or Velodrome? What's the sudden rush after ten years of amnesia? Oh, election coming... so is promise to spend 90 millions of our money.
Ontario credit rate was downgraded from stable to negative rankings, BTW...
https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys- ... -PR_382318

Ten bucks says you didn’t even read the report you linked to there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:29 am 

Funny cause science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics are not what Laurier is known for. It is mostly known for its business programs.

My guess is it will be mostly college level courses rather than university ones, delivered by Conestoga College.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:34 am 

dakaardian wrote:
Funny cause science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics are not what Laurier is known for. It is mostly known for its business programs.

My guess is it will be mostly college level courses rather than university ones, delivered by Conestoga College.

They don’t offer programs in those fields?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:09 am 

dakaardian wrote:

Do employer these days really care if your Laurier or Conestoga courses are university or college level?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 pm 

Employers do care which university the graduate is coming from. This is evident from the coop programs they are hired.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:54 pm 

Mariana wrote:
dakaardian wrote:

Do employer these days really care if your Laurier or Conestoga courses are university or college level?

Anecdotally at my company we value Sheridan grads over all others. This includes UofT, Waterloo, MAC, and the other usual suspects. Exceptions are made of course, and there are no guarantees either way.

But that’s just to get considered. What ultimately matters in determining if you make it past temp status is personality.

College is where it’s at, but I’d still recommend kids keep the university opportunity available.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:49 pm 

I live a 1 minute from the area. Hopefully they upgrade the infrastructure of the internet backbone to gigabit fibre here. I'm sure a campus would need something like this. I'm getting sick of 120/10 internet is the highest option I can get.