HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:06 am 

"Live for today" seems to be the Liberal mantra, spending money they don't have to buy votes, like throwing a party funded with stolen money.

So I'd like to know why people understand that you have to run your home in a responsible manner living within your budget, borrowing only when you know it can be paid back and there is a sunset to your debts, but then think the provincial and federal budgets (debt and deficit) don't need to operate in the same manner ? It's okay to defer the payback to future generations while you enjoy the fruits of the borrowed money ?

Don't be selfish by voting for self serving election promises. Someone at some time will have to pay the piper. That will be your children and grand children (and probably their children). Is it fair to be living the high life on their dime ?

The wasteful Liberal trainwreck (and it is) needs to stop. They have lost touch with reality. The tap is dry. The money tree orchard behind Queens Park is bare. Someone else needs to step in and take control.

Your opportunity to put the province on track to fix this mess will come on June 7. Vote wisely !

Last edited by hughd on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 am 

Yeah too bad the PCs bungled YET ANOTHER gimme election, this time by selecting a divisive idiot to be their leader.

I have no choice but to vote NDP, which isn’t entirely a bad thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:50 am 

I can't believe Mike is not who we get to vote for. Can someone shed some light on this guy Parm Gill they've parachuted in here? It'll be bad enough having a Fordsie vote on my record, and Gill sounds like let's say an interesting character, according to interwebs news sources. At times like this, you can just imagine the back-room planning meetings they must have.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:54 am 

hughd wrote:
"Live for today" seems to be the Liberal mantra, spending money they don't have to buy votes, like having party funded with stolen money.

So I'd like to know why people understand that you have to run your home in a responsible manner living within your budget, borrowing only when you know it can be paid back and there is a sunset to your debts, but then think the provincial and federal budgets (debt and deficit) don't need to operate in the same manner ? It's okay to defer the payback to future generations while you enjoy the fruits of the borrowed money ?

Don't be selfish by voting for self serving election promises. Someone at some time will have to pay the piper. That will be your children and grand children (and probably their children). Is it fair to be living the high life on their dime ?

The wasteful Liberal trainwreck (and it is) needs to stop. They have lost touch with reality. The tap is dry. The money tree orchard behind Queens Park is bare. Someone else needs to step in and take control.

Your opportunity to put the province on track to fix this mess will come on June 7. Vote wisely !

And what exactly does "voting wisely" look like in your books Huge D?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 am 

NOT the Liberals Burr.
So you're okay with things as they are ?

Thanks for the compliment... that's what the girls call me ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 am 

Autocorrect gave you a compliment. Do I think things are great? No. Do I think voting in Parm Gill and Doug Ford is the answer? An even bigger no.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:01 am 

Burrcold wrote:
Do I think things are great? No. Do I think voting in Parm Gill and Doug Ford is the answer? An even bigger no.

That's the whole issue. I don't know anyone who wants to vote Liberal but I know many who don't want to vote for those two even more. Why can't the PCs get their crap together. Tory should have won but went on about funding religious school. Hudak had it in the bag and then went on about firing everyone and their cousin. Patrick Brown couldn't have lost until...I still don't even understand what happened there. Then the party chooses Ford...anyone except Granic Allen would have been better than him. It's like they don't want to win an election but maybe that's their plan. It's better to complain about what happening than to actually try and make decisions.

I'm trying to convince myself that voting for Naidoo-Harris might be palatable. She at least lives in the riding and has been given a bigger and bigger portfolio with her party.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:36 pm 

I'm not sure whether I'm voting PC or NDP but I WILL NOT be voting Liberal. The wreckless financial hemorrhaging needs to stop.

I like Andrea Horwath's sensibility but I'm not keen on a lot of her party's platform.

So I see lots of Doug Ford bashing. Can someone enlighten me as to why he would make such a terrible premier ? I mean something tangible with credible backing, not "cuz I just don't like him".

From where I sit he's all about fixing the clusterf#$% that the liberals put us in, stop spending frivolously like a drunken sailor and get things back on track to paying down the debt. There may some some things that I don't fancy but as usual, it comes down to the better of 3 evils.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 pm 

This is like the worst election choice ever
Noone worth voting for and not voting is just as bad as voting

I just don't know if I can actually bring myself to vote Ford

Its pretty scary when peoples rationale is "how much worse could it get?" in choosing a candidate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
..... I just don't know if I can actually bring myself to vote Ford

Can you tell me why ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 pm 

hughd wrote:
Mr.Peppermint wrote:
..... I just don't know if I can actually bring myself to vote Ford

Can you tell me why ?

He lost me when he, with all seriousness, said he was going to cut the CBC budget. It's preannouncing the peter principle will be in play. Plus it's more of the liberal short term reaction rather than long term plan... firing the Ontario Hydro board and executive and paying off their golden parachutes instead of taking a longer term approach, and not even letting us know what the plan for new leadership would be, smacks of the gas-plant blueprint "do whatever makes people happy so we get votes, don't tell them the cost".

That said, I agree with you completely that the liberals have got to go, so not sure if I'm going to vote NDP or decline the ballot in protest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 am 

Keep track with poll-tracker. It shows the combined results from numerous polls making it IMO the best poll to follow.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/onvotes/poll-tracker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 am 

Personally, I think it's high time the CBC stand on its own two feet like all other broadcasters. They lost me several years ago when they started taking a political bias. Granted, all of the big media companies have a political attachment but when it comes to a broadcaster that's heavily funded with taxpayer money, they should be 100% non-partisan.

As for firing the Hydro fat cats, I say go for it. The Hydro debacle is insane. So we're on the hook to pay for hydro at rates that are far higher than market value, and will be for years to come because of poor decision making by the Liberals. And how in the world did it get to the point where the Hydro CEO is making over $6 million, and the execs just got thru voting themselves another raise, while we're being told to pay a debt relief (for their screwups) for many years to come. Another case of "just push the cost onto future generations". It's just out of control.

Voting the Liberals back in will send a message of acceptance that Ontarians condone their actions, and further spending (with moneys borrowed from future generations) will continue.

Last edited by hughd on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 am 

hughd wrote:
Personally, I think it's high time the CBC stand on its own two feet like all other broadcasters. They lost me several years ago when they started taking a political bias. Granted, all of the big media companies have a political attachment but when it comes to a broadcaster that's heavily funded with taxpayer money, they should be 100% non-partisan.

As for firing the Hydro fat cats, I say go for it. The Hydro debacle is insane. So we're on the hook to pay for hydro at rates that are far higher than market value, and will be for years to come because of poor decision making by the Liberals. And how in the world did it get to the point where the Hydro CEO is making over $6 million, and the execs just got thru voting themselves another raise, while we're being told to pay a debt relief (for their screwups) for many years to come. Another case of "just push the cost onto future generations". It's just out of control.

The CBC gets its funding from the federal government. Doug Ford has no idea what he can even promise. Also please show me actual evidence of the current Hydro One semi-private setup actually causing expenses and rates to rise. The actual date I’ve seen shows otherwise.

Doug Ford wants to fix your “Custer f$&@“ sure - he just has no clue how, and can’t even explain it himself. Literally the worst possible choice - how the hell does that even happen with these current liberals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:49 am 

Hodor wrote:
hughd wrote:

The CBC gets its funding from the federal government. Doug Ford has no idea what he can even promise. Also please show me actual evidence of the current Hydro One semi-private setup actually causing expenses and rates to rise. The actual date I’ve seen shows otherwise.

Doug Ford wants to fix your “Custer f$&@“ sure - he just has no clue how, and can’t even explain it himself. Literally the worst possible choice - how the hell does that even happen with these current liberals.

"The CBC gets its funding from the federal government." What does that matter ? It's still from taxpayer money.

I did not specifically say that the current Hydro one setup is causing rates to rise, however the money for their raises will have to come from somewhere. Rates are not rising because they're being artificially held low. Your kids and grandkids will be footing the bill for our subsidy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next