HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice Cream Trucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:36 pm 

They're goddamn annoying.

They're loud AF, and they come down the street EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes more than once. The best part though is that when someone actually does decide to buy something, they keep playing the music the entire time it's stopped.

Should be outlawed.

Post subject: Re: Ice Cream Trucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:00 pm 

Agreed, I'm near a park so it stops ALOT :evil: same damn tune over and over

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 pm 

I don't mind it. It makes me feel a bit nostalgic when I hear it, and sometimes I'll even bend over and over-pay for an icy rocket popsicle so I get a blue tongue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 pm 

I really appreciate the trucks that have a music box thats out of tune and sounds like a horrer movie. Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:12 pm 

Wow now the trolls are complaining about ice cream trucks
Talk about a miserable old git

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:32 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Wow now the trolls are complaining about ice cream trucks
Talk about a miserable old git
:shock: Are you trolling the trolls?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:28 am 

Greenjp wrote:

Wouldn't 2 negatives cancel each other out?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:06 am 

The worst was the one with the inane tune that paused every 20 seconds and some kid voice yelling "HELLO-O?!" and then back into the inane tune. Horrible. Before that was the one that played "La Cucaracha" on a short loop, that one made me smile I'd have to say. I wonder if some white knight had it shut down for cultural sensitivity reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:18 am 

B&T402 wrote:
The worst was the one with the inane tune that paused every 20 seconds and some kid voice yelling "HELLO-O?!" and then back into the inane tune. Horrible. Before that was the one that played "La Cucaracha" on a short loop, that one made me smile I'd have to say. I wonder if some white knight had it shut down for cultural sensitivity reasons.

Yeah the La Cucaracha one was at least different.

And I'm all about ice cream trucks in theory - they used to be rare and exciting to see. "OHHHH SNAP it's the Ice Cream truck - that NEVER happens! We are so lucky today - hurry and run inside and get some money so we can have a super rare treat on this hot summer day!! WHAT A GREAT DAY OMG SUMMER IS THE BEST!!!"

But now it's every day, same time. Things aren't a treat if they happen constantly. No wonder everyone is a big fatso.

I totally had my kids calling this thing the 'Music Truck' and thinking that it was just a truck that drove around the neighborhood playing music. Then one day the kid noticed it had paintings of ice cream and treats on it. Then he noticed there was a man inside. Then he saw the man distributing treats. The jig is up. Now every day at around 5:30pm that truck comes and parks outside blaring its stupid music over and over. Kids get antsy and I need to threaten to get the jumper cables out just to maintain order in my McMansion.

This isn't the serene Milton lifestyle that was presented in Zeeshan's brochure.

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

Wouldn't 2 negatives cancel each other out?

Trollception? (are we still allowed to make _____ception 'jokes?')

AlphaMale wrote:
I don't mind it. It makes me feel a bit nostalgic when I hear it, and sometimes I'll even bend over and over-pay for an icy rocket popsicle so I get a blue tongue.

Nostalgic for what? Yesterday, when the same stupid truck came lumbering down the street playing the same damn song?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:31 am 

Hodor wrote:
And I'm all about ice cream trucks in theory - they used to be rare and exciting to see. "OHHHH SNAP it's the Ice Cream truck - that NEVER happens! We are so lucky today - hurry and run inside and get some money so we can have a super rare treat on this hot summer day!! WHAT A GREAT DAY OMG SUMMER IS THE BEST!!!"

Same here, its not the 90s - 80s - 70s anymore *sniff*

On top of the obesification of over-entitled youth, I see this as a failure of urban planning to make it all possible. Where the idea of "the walkable corner store" has been effectively banished, kids have no option but to wait for these things to deliver the goods. They think that's the norm, which is scary and sad. Milton as a walkable community is a joke, it was never a serious concept right out of the gate and bound to get worse. Zee or Colin will pop by shortly to contradict this argument.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:59 am 

B&T402 wrote:
Hodor wrote:

Same here, its not the 90s - 80s - 70s anymore *sniff*

On top of the obesification of over-entitled youth, I see this as a failure of urban planning to make it all possible. Where the idea of "the walkable corner store" has been effectively banished, kids have no option but to wait for these things to deliver the goods. They think that's the norm, which is scary and sad. Milton as a walkable community is a joke, it was never a serious concept right out of the gate and bound to get worse. Zee or Colin will pop by shortly to contradict this argument.

The store is closer to me now then when I was a kid in the suburbs of Mississauga. Town is totally "walkable" for a corner store - you're just a LOT lazier now (like me!). Kids don't walk anyway - they use bikes/scooters/skateboards/anythingwithwheels just like we did. Hell, if my kids want to haul their asses to the store and buy an ice cream with their own money I'll gladly go with them.

Anyway the ice cream truck itself isn't the #1 issue - it's the annoying damn music that keeps playing when it is parked. LIKE YOU HAVE CUSTOMERS ASSHOLE - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - YOU CAN TURN THAT sh*t OFF NOW!

We will fix that problem first, then I'll put spike strips out to disable it from coming to your street too frequently.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:15 am 

Hodor wrote:
AlphaMale wrote:

Nostalgic for what? Yesterday, when the same stupid truck came lumbering down the street playing the same damn song?

Nostalgic because it reminds me of my childhood hearing the same tune. There are worse sounds out there, like some punk kid and a shitty exhaust sound from his decrepit Honda Civic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 pm 

nostalgia would be the dickie dee guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:01 pm 

avonannie wrote:
nostalgia would be the dickie dee guy

Or his politically correct replacement Richard Dee's. Yeah I loved the Dickie Dee's guys too!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:38 pm 

B&T402 wrote:

The “HELLO” one is back. Comeplete with random whistle sounds and horn honks.

f**K these things. Every god damn day. So f****** loud. And I’m a guy who appreciates some loud-ass tunes.