HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Active farm who also sells at Milton farmers market
Land itself is worth a fortune and owners are not even being offered fair market value
Either way they do not want to sell

Oh plus do any of you REALLY want more Catholics being indoctrinated?

How do you know what they've been offered? Article states no offer has been made...

Diamond Award Winner - Top 3% in Canada
http://www.TheHomeHunter.ca
905-878-8101

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:05 pm 

stevenr wrote:
Good for them, we need more schools. Classrooms are over crowded.

So what? This is their family farm that they've owned for some 200 years and want to keep it going - not everyone in this life is motivated by the almighty dollar, in case you and others on this blog don't know that.
This family obviously treasures their home and land and have no interest in selling, so why should they be forced to sell whether it's 20 acres or whatever of their property because of some fu****g school.

There is plenty of other lands available and ready for development. Leave these people alone, for Christ's sake! This whole story has got me so riled up and angry and I can't believe some of the insensitive comments made by some of you. There are already too many schools in this town and the classrooms are far from being crowded, and if you truly believe that they are, I would suggest that perhaps you and some of your neighbors could volunteer to have your homes expropriated by the HCDSB instead so you and others can become millionaires and live happily ever after. Is there no humanity or decency left in this world?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:10 pm 

All Star wrote:
stevenr wrote:

So what? This is their family farm that they've owned for some 200 years and want to keep it going - not everyone in this life is motivated by the almighty dollar, in case you and others on this blog don't know that.
This family obviously treasures their home and land and have no interest in selling, so why should they be forced to sell whether it's 20 acres or whatever of their property because of some fu****g school.

There is plenty of other lands available and ready for development. Leave these people alone, for Christ's sake! This whole story has got me so riled up and angry and I can't believe some of the insensitive comments made by some of you. There are already too many schools in this town and the classrooms are far from being crowded, and if you truly believe that they are, I would suggest that perhaps you and some of your neighbors could volunteer to have your homes expropriated by the HCDSB instead so you and others can become millionaires and live happily ever after. Is there no humanity or decency left in this world?

Far from crowded? When was the last time you walked into a classroom? My son's JK class has 36 students in it just one teacher and one ECE. That is not sustainable.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:17 pm 

stevenr wrote:
All Star wrote:
stevenr wrote:

Far from crowded? When was the last time you walked into a classroom? My son's JK class has 36 students in it just one teacher and one ECE. That is not sustainable.

Most of the posters on this board are old people. They haven't been in a school since having to walk 5 miles uphill both ways.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:14 pm 

The Home Hunter wrote:
How do you know what they've been offered? Article states no offer has been made...

What article? Every link in this thread had already talked about money? (articles also state money is not an issue since they do not wish to sell but still amount is too low imo)

More links:
http://www.farms.com/ag-industry-news/o ... n-366.aspx

The HCDSB plans to construct the school next to the McCann’s feeding barn, which is located in the centre of the operation.

This placement could be hazardous for both the family and the students.

The school’s location would also ignore minimum distance separation requirements, he said.

“The requirements are there for a reason, but they’re just choosing to ignore them – somebody could get hurt.”

Overall, the McCanns are concerned that they could lose their land, which the family has owned since 1827. In fact, McCann’s daughter, Jessica, will be the seventh generation to work on the land.

The area has become a hotspot for development.

“We’re the last farm in this area,” McCann said. “Developers own 2,300 acres surrounding our farm. This is the only privately owned section of land.”

The family is worried about the future of their operation.

The school board has “thrown lots of money at us, but we’re not interested in the money,” McCann said.

Rather, McCann, who is also undergoing chemotherapy treatments, wants to continue to farm.

“I want to finish out my time here. I don’t want to give it up.”

Jessica McCann, who is also an agriculture student at the University of Guelph, started a petition yesterday on change.org. To sign it, click here.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
The Home Hunter wrote:

What article? Every link in this thread had already talked about money? (articles also state money is not an issue since they do not wish to sell but still amount is too low imo)

More links:
http://www.farms.com/ag-industry-news/o ... n-366.aspx

The HCDSB plans to construct the school next to the McCann’s feeding barn, which is located in the centre of the operation.

This placement could be hazardous for both the family and the students.

The school’s location would also ignore minimum distance separation requirements, he said.

“The requirements are there for a reason, but they’re just choosing to ignore them – somebody could get hurt.”

Overall, the McCanns are concerned that they could lose their land, which the family has owned since 1827. In fact, McCann’s daughter, Jessica, will be the seventh generation to work on the land.

The area has become a hotspot for development.

“We’re the last farm in this area,” McCann said. “Developers own 2,300 acres surrounding our farm. This is the only privately owned section of land.”

The family is worried about the future of their operation.

The school board has “thrown lots of money at us, but we’re not interested in the money,” McCann said.

Rather, McCann, who is also undergoing chemotherapy treatments, wants to continue to farm.

“I want to finish out my time here. I don’t want to give it up.”

Jessica McCann, who is also an agriculture student at the University of Guelph, started a petition yesterday on change.org. To sign it, click here.

What is this fuss all about? If someone wants to buy your land, is there a law that says you have to sell it. When does expropriation become a lawful tool empowered by the courts? Does a school board have the power to expropriate anyone's land and how and when is it given this power?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:23 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Most of the posters on this board are old people. They haven't been in a school since having to walk 5 miles uphill both ways.

Yes, I'm one of those "old people". And you are just a young, typical know-it-all idiot who frankly doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Your numerous arrogant comments and put-downs on this forum clearly illustrate you haven't a clue about what is really important and valuable in life. You obviously still have a lot to learn on how to live a more humble, compassionate, and meaningful life. Hopefully, life will teach you these things in due time.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 pm 

Clearly if they were interested in the money they would have sold out years ago to one of the developers but given they haven't they obviously want to farm. I agree, why go after their land, why not take it from one of the developer owned parcels, probably right across the road. The schoolboard knows it is easier to bully an individual land owner with limited resources than go after a rich developer. And taking 20 acres from this farmer wouldn't cause the loss of 60+ additional tax payers (new houses on 20 acres) for the town and board. Sadly if the schoolboard continues forward the landowner has little rights and will likely lose his land. If this was in Quebec though the farmer could well succeed in keeping his land. Civil code in Quebec offers better protection from expropriation than common law in the rest of Canada.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:22 pm 

gdm894 wrote:
I agree, why go after their land, why not take it from one of the developer owned parcels, probably right across the road. The schoolboard knows it is easier to bully an individual land owner with limited resources than go after a rich developer. And taking 20 acres from this farmer wouldn't cause the loss of 60+ additional tax payers (new houses on 20 acres) for the town and board.

Bingo. All of this is powerful proof of the levels of collusion and back room manipulation among the main players here, the local Diocese included obviously. What chance does an individual have, not much.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:45 pm 

Seems we all agree.
How we gonna help this family? I mean REALLY help!

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 pm 

gdm894 wrote:
The schoolboard knows it is easier to bully an individual land owner with limited resources than go after a rich developer.

Bingo!

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 pm 

All Star wrote:
Hodor wrote:

Yes, I'm one of those "old people". And you are just a young, typical know-it-all idiot who frankly doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Your numerous arrogant comments and put-downs on this forum clearly illustrate you haven't a clue about what is really important and valuable in life. You obviously still have a lot to learn on how to live a more humble, compassionate, and meaningful life. Hopefully, life will teach you these things in due time.

Ha! I knew it!!

Is it erectile dysfunction that makes you so grumpy, or just a general hate for the next generation? Maybe both?

Your posts smell like mothballs, by the way.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:35 pm 

I&J wrote:
What is this fuss all about? If someone wants to buy your land, is there a law that says you have to sell it. When does expropriation become a lawful tool empowered by the courts? Does a school board have the power to expropriate anyone's land and how and when is it given this power?

School board is required to make an offer before they can expropriate
When owner refused they went to court and took the land

The ironic thing about this case is the person making the expropriation request is ALSO the same person approving the request
Conflict of interest much?

Norts999 wrote:
Seems we all agree.
How we gonna help this family? I mean REALLY help!

For one support the family and sign the petition

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 pm 

Hodor wrote:
All Star wrote:
Hodor wrote:

Ha! I knew it!!

Is it erectile dysfunction that makes you so grumpy, or just a general hate for the next generation? Maybe both?

Your posts smell like mothballs, by the way.

One day you'll be there too buddy. Only thing is you'll long ago have used up your erectile dysfunction meds and more than likely using MJ with a medical license to try and bring back your youthful brash ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 am 

I’m already there. At work I’m already the old weird guy who has nothing in common with these young entitled millennials. I really don’t get Drake. His music sucks.

What I don’t do, or at least try not to do, is get grumpy on the internet. That means you’re SUUUPER old.