HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:35 pm 

For those of you who dont already know, I am running for the position of Local / Regional Councillor for Wards 1,6,7 & 8.

Over the last 4 years I have had the pleasure and honour of serving the residents of Milton representing the voters of Ward 6 and during that time I have built a solid reputation as an active community member and an advocate for accountability for delivery of efficient and cost effective services.

As a sitting councillor I have seen firsthand the challenges we face in Halton Region; concerns over growth, underfunded infrastructure, while still encouraging local business development and sustainable industry.

The last 3 years have been a challenge at Halton Region as it became apparent early in the term that the representation for this area was lacking. For 3 years, our representative at Halton Council was nothing but a punchline and – not once, but twice – our local paper’s editorial, for the first time in its history, called for his resignation. Then in December of last year, he was finally removed from office.

Milton taxpayers deserve a lot better than this. Over the last several months I have been knocking on doors, speaking with residents of Wards 1, 6, 7 & 8 to hear their concerns and ideas for the future.

I have outlined my plan - Complete Community - at my new website http://www.completecommunity.ca I hope you take some time to look it over and ask any questions you might have.

If you'd like to show your support, Id be more than happy to place a sign on your lawn starting this Friday. Send me a DM here or email me mike@mikecluett.ca

I'll see you at the doors.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 pm 

Tomorrow's the day as you be seeing a number of candidates signs popping up on lawns and boulevards in town.

I would be very grateful if you would have a sign for your lawn to show support for my Complete Community. DM me or email mike@mikecluett.ca or cell 647-888-9032.

I'll see you at the doors

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:39 pm 

One for us please Mike!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:27 pm 

Happy to have your sign on our lawn Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:12 am 

Hi - i'll PM you my details
BTW - when I first saw your flyer I thought *a famous TO mayor* was campaigning in Milton...not sure if this was done purposefully :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:52 pm 

Sent you an email... You have our vote, hands down!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:32 am 

Hi lacoste3...Thanks for taking a sign.

Don't know which TO Mayor you're referring to haha. I thought I lost some weight.

I do appreciate the support everyone. Lots of signs this time around so if you'd like one, please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:31 pm 

Can you fix the light timing at Derry and Trafalgar? How will you go about doing so? Serious question, if you think you can get this issue finally addressed you have my vote.

I suggest driving down Derry every morning around 7:30ish give or take, for 2 weeks , to see the frustration for yourself. It's unbelievable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:01 pm 

Wondering if there is any intention of fencing around Irma Coulson's parking lot along Derry?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:10 am 

What about the speed bumps on Meighen Way that we petitioned for on our street? We received 95% of the homeowners signatures on the street signing the petition and requesting some sort of speed deterrent to make the street safer for the little kids crossing the road to get to school?

We saw nothing come out of it? Where have you been the last 4 years Mike?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 am 

I know that study was done in 2011 and there was enough people to warrant the study for traffic calming measures. A speed study was done shortly after receiving the request. Im in the process of getting confirmation from staff this morning but from what I recall, the study showed that the speeds recorded during that time didnt warrant any traffic calming measures.

Here is the policy for traffic calming from the Town website http://www.milton.ca/en/live/resources/ ... policy.pdf

You'll see on page 35 that there's a "score sheet" to decide what if any traffic calming measures can be used for the area in question. Again, I dont have the results in front of me now, but I should be getting them soon. I'll post as soon as I get them.

D&M wrote:
What about the speed bumps on Meighen Way that we petitioned for on our street? We received 95% of the homeowners signatures on the street signing the petition and requesting some sort of speed deterrent to make the street safer for the little kids crossing the road to get to school?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:54 am 

None as far as I recall (we live near the corner). Its generally a quiet street. I have no problem letting my 8 year old bike to a friend's house down Meighan and cross Ferguson. I walked to school route for 2 years and there was never a problem crossing. Definitely more traffic in the morning but nothing that teaching your kid "look both ways to make sure cars aren't coming" doesn't remedy. Both my 4 and 8 year old have decided if they see a car coming - even if it's 1000 feet away they wait for it to go by.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:13 pm 

The street is quiet except for the times when school starts and ends. Invariably, you get a lot of soccer moms in big vans racing to get their child to school on time. If you ever want to see the speeding in person, park on the street 30 mins before school starts and 30 mins after school ends.

In terms of accidents, we would rather be proactive in calming the speeding down, rather than have an incident where a child crossing the street gets hit by a car.

If 95% of the residents living on the street have indicated that speeding is a problem on the street, then there is a problem. A study may have been conducted in the summer when school was out. Please listen to the constituents that live on the street.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:56 pm 

Hi Mike....I will support you...I'd like a sign for my lawn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm 

prickly_pete wrote:
D&M wrote:
The street is quiet except for the times when school starts and ends. Invariably, you get a lot of soccer moms in big vans racing to get their child to school on time. If you ever want to see the speeding in person, park on the street 30 mins before school starts and 30 mins after school ends.

In terms of accidents, we would rather be proactive in calming the speeding down, rather than have an incident where a child crossing the street gets hit by a car.

If 95% of the residents living on the street have indicated that speeding is a problem on the street, then there is a problem. A study may have been conducted in the summer when school was out. Please listen to the constituents that live on the street.

I question the ability of humans to accurately determine whether or not the speed of a vehicle exceeds 50km/h.

The residents asked for traffic calming on the street due to aggressive driving / acceleration and excessive speeding. The speed itself is irrelevant compared to the potential for a child to be hit walking to school due to aggressive driving.