HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gazebo weight ideas...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am 

So the Wednesday windstorm picked up my cloth gazebo over a 6' fence and into a ceder tree in my neighbors yard. Luckily I was able to salvage it as the tarp wasn't ripped and the frame was able to be "manipulated" with a hammer and brackets back into place. Needless to say I have learned my lesson and now know that it HAS TO be anchored to something.

I have a paver stone patio that it rests on which I'd rather not drill into, partly because I don't want holes in the pavers, and partly because I'm not sure the 4 pavers that it would be anchored into are enough to hold it down. This got me looking of alternatives. There are some Sandbag options on Amazon however they all seem to be for the thin legged pop up gazebos and not for something like mine with 2.5" x 2.5" legs. I thought about drilling each post into an 18"x18" patio stone but the wife thinks people will stub their toes on them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as Google isn't helping all that much for me.

My gazebo link below...

https://www.lowes.ca/gazebos/allen-roth ... zebo-allen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:21 am 

Those stones are like 80lbs each. Just drill in to them. 320lbs of additional weight will be enough to secure your gazebo unless a tornado comes.

Why don’t you want to put holes in your paver stones?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:33 am 

Hodor wrote:
Those stones are like 80lbs each. Just drill in to them. 320lbs of additional weight will be enough to secure your gazebo unless a tornado comes.

Why don’t you want to put holes in your paver stones?

The pavers are probably 30lbs or so each I would say. I'd rather not drill a permanent hole for something that might only last me a few years.

I noticed someone suggested desk blocks on another forum. It's an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm 

30lbs pavers would be tiny, no? Just move them and put in some actual anchors in the ground.

Still not sure why one would need to keep their stones in pristine condition, but cest la vie! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:27 pm 

Maybe put the legs of the gazebo into plastic buckets and fill the buckets with concrete.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm 

I’d drill into the pavers, I’m sure there’s some product you could get to fill the holes if/when the gazebo bites the dust.

On a related note - does anyone think that a paver would split/crack if you drilled into it for this purpose?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:15 pm 

We got a 10 x 12 feet all season gazebo from Canadian Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-l ... p.html#srp

The legs are bolted to 24 x 30 inches patio stones. I used 2.25 inches concrete screws (blue) to secure the legs. It has been there for around 4 years and haven't moved an inch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 am 

Strap it to cinder blocks, that can be removed if company is coming.
Just take two corners of the tarp off if storms are predicted.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am 

Miles wrote:
We got a 10 x 12 feet all season gazebo from Canadian Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-l ... p.html#srp

The legs are bolted to 24 x 30 inches patio stones. I used 2.25 inches concrete screws (blue) to secure the legs. It has been there for around 4 years and haven't moved an inch.

The way those stones are lined up improperly causing the alternating pattern to become non-contiguous is causing me great anxiety. Please turn them all around and re-take the photograph.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:30 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up drilling into the patio stones and using tapcon screws. I figured for aesthetics this was the best option. I will do as mentioned and pull a few corners if there is major wind predicted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:31 am 

dillon wrote:
I’d drill into the pavers, I’m sure there’s some product you could get to fill the holes if/when the gazebo bites the dust.

On a related note - does anyone think that a paver would split/crack if you drilled into it for this purpose?

As long as your use a hammer drill and your not making a huge hole you shouldn't have any issue with cracking.