HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 pm 

Didn't Mr. Gill and Tories promise a 10 cent reduction in gas prices? Did I miss the reduction as I don't see a change? Gas was 1.30+ prior to elections, and it is the same now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:20 pm 

Hey, Milton wasn't built in a day, he's got 4 yrs to make good on promises.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:16 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
Hey, Milton wasn't built in a day, he's got 4 yrs to make good on promises.

Interesting theory :) by the time he will fulfil his promise, gas price will be $1.60 and then he will reduce it to $1.50 saying I fulfilled my promise. It will be all relative at that moment :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 pm 

It’ll go down for a day or two when the cap and trade scrapping kicks in. It hasn’t yet, has it?

Then gas will go back up, as it is not a fixed price as we all know. Then, when the feds actually impose a carbon tax, it’ll go up even further.

Lucky for us though this government likes to shoot from the hip so I’m sure they’ll come up with something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:09 pm 

Since we’re talking about gas... I just found out Milton has a Shell station just north of Hwy 401 on Hwy 25 which has been there since April

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 am 

Since the price of gas is not static, how would we even know if a 10cent reduction took place - and if you were able to detect it, how could you know what to attribute it to since none of us have any idea what affects the price as it is?

Also, on an average 50L tank of gas, a 10cent price fluctuation represents a couple of coffees. We've lead ourselves to think the proposed relief would be much better than it actually would be.

Gas is just one of those things that costs what it costs and we should be happy it doesn't cost a LOT more, cause in pure terms of supply and demand, we're nowhere near peak price. People in Milton (and all over the country) wouldn't stop driving if the cost was $3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 am 

martin prince wrote:
Since the price of gas is not static, how would we even know if a 10cent reduction took place - and if you were able to detect it, how could you know what to attribute it to since none of us have any idea what affects the price as it is?

Also, on an average 50L tank of gas, a 10cent price fluctuation represents a couple of coffees. We've lead ourselves to think the proposed relief would be much better than it actually would be.

Gas is just one of those things that costs what it costs and we should be happy it doesn't cost a LOT more, cause in pure terms of supply and demand, we're nowhere near peak price. People in Milton (and all over the country) wouldn't stop driving if the cost was $3.

Something something buck a beer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 am 

Hodor wrote:
martin prince wrote:

Something something smart people will, and or already have, buy electric cars. $tsla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 pm 

martin prince wrote:
Hodor wrote:
martin prince wrote:

Something something smart people will, and or already have, buy electric cars. $tsla

subsidy on e-cars has been cut by ford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 pm 

sschung wrote:

Correct. And my point still stands

If the average person, in an average 50L tank vehicle, fills up an average of once a week, the savings on the over the non 10 cent price cut is a about a weeks worth of coffees.

Now imagine not filling up at all. Subsidy or not, the smart play going forward will be electric, especially if your concern is a 10cent gas reduction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm 

$1.17 tonight at most places.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:22 am 

martin prince wrote:
sschung wrote:

If the average person, in an average 50L tank vehicle, fills up an average of once a week, the savings on the over the non 10 cent price cut is a about a weeks worth of coffees.

Now imagine not filling up at all. Subsidy or not, the smart play going forward will be electric, especially if your concern is a 10cent gas reduction.
How much is a new electric car battery pack?

And how many litres of gas can you buy for that money?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:34 am 

Greenjp wrote:
martin prince wrote:
sschung wrote:

How much is a new electric car battery pack?

And how many litres of gas can you buy for that money?

Hahaha the old “but I have to buy new batteries” myth, like this is something that needs to be done on the reg.

There are many websites that will explain the cost benefits of electric. Ask the Home Inspector to find you one :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 am 

there is not much they can do... the Wholesale price of fuel does not change much...
http://www2.nrcan.gc.ca/eneene/sources/ ... city_e.cfm

it's all published online...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am 

Hodor wrote:
Hahaha the old “but I have to buy new batteries” myth, like this is something that needs to be done on the reg.

There are many websites that will explain the cost benefits of electric. Ask the Home Inspector to find you one :wink:

Well he's got a point. I have to replace the AA batteries in my X-Box controller all the time. They must be the same