HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:51 am 

At this Monday's Council meeting a Notice of Motion requesting noise monitors be installed in Milton-Campbellville is going before Council. Georgetown and Oakville have had permanent noise monitors installed. This motion is asking the GTAA to start monitoring the noise in at least 4 areas (Kelso, Rattlesnake, Thompson & Main, Thompson & St. Laurent. These areas have experienced low flying noisy aircraft. The goal is to have permanent noise monitors installed and to make the GTAA aware hat airplane noise is a problem for quite a few residents in the Campbellville-Milton area. Our area is being ignored in the noise mitigating strategies which the GTAA is working on and it is important that we be included.

If you are one of the unfortunate that is bothered by the aircraft noise, make your situation known to your Councillor and Mayor. Come out to the Council Meeting on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm 

How is our area being ignored? I read in the paper that a project is being implemented to have aircraft be over our town every other weekend (weather permitting). If that works, it might be put into place for rotating everyday of the week. Aircraft will always be flying over Milton and have for as long as Pearson has been there. If aircraft noise is a problem for some, maybe Milton is not a place to move to. Moving the same distance to the north, south or east of the airport has the same thing. There might be more aircraft now as the population grows, but at least they are quieter than they were before. Other than moving the airport, how do the aircraft not come over Milton?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:34 pm 

Why do we need to monitor? I mean the whole point of air traffic control, is to.... Control air traffic? They must keep records, can we not just request the records and not bother with spending the money to monitor our own air ways?!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:02 pm 

If there’s one thing I hate, it’s airplane noise.
Airplane noise and dump truck noise.
Airplane noise and dump truck noise, and roofing air gun noise.
Airplane noise and dump truck noise, and roofing air gun noise, and construction noise.
Airplane noise and dump truck noise, and roofing air gun noise, and construction noise, and noisy kids.
Oh, and fireworks the night after a holiday.
Why can’t they make all that noise in the suburbs, then bring the finished product into town?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:19 am 

So Area B here, and if this is sustainably possible going forward, I like the relief weekend system. *
Exactly zero approaching planes over yesterday and so far today, and noticed only about 3-4 departing planes at 6-8K altitude. What is left to be seen is what kind of hell we are in for when we are on the flip side. How are things in Area A for approaches?

So far I can see this would be very useful for planning time out back, especially if you're trying to avoid having out-of-town guests not pity you for choosing to live next to the nation's largest airport.

Now if only there was some kind of program to mitigate asshat neighbours who mow their grass/cabbage on Sunday mornings, that'd be nice too.

* So I got the weekends mixed up, the weekend noted was our NON-relief weekend, but still we had zero planes. I guess they were still hammering out ATC procedures? It was a perfect weather weekend, no apparent reason to reroute for that reason.

Last edited by B&T402 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:42 pm 

B&T402 wrote:

Now if only there was some kind of program to mitigate asshat neighbours who mow their grass/cabbage on Sunday mornings, that'd be nice too.

The Earplug Program costs less than $1.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:24 am 

Hodor wrote:
B&T402 wrote:

The Earplug Program costs less than $1.

Unacceptable. I demand accommodation, preferably at public inconvenience and expense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:26 am 

This person needs to try the raccoon program. Planes won't seem as bad...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:04 am 

Justin Trudeau apoligizes for this

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:52 pm 

I must admit, the airplanes this weekend have been REALLY irritating and minutes apart.
What exactly is this initiative? I’m guessing Oakville bulldozed Milton council.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:20 pm 

I’m going to use this as my diary.
9 or 10 days of quiet, today is very busy again.
My buddy in Oakville is doing the same. We shall see. Planes gotta be planes. Shrug.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 pm 

So plane after plane after plane etc. yesterday afternoon, and zero noticed so far today. Relief weekend in effect (verified correct), and I say this plan works a treat. https://torontopearson.com/runwayalternation/

I was dismissive earlier of the efforts of the lobbyists, and took the attitude air traffic could not be significantly altered, and so I was wrong. If this is sustainably possible going forward without added expense on the part of airlines or the airport, such that would affect ticket prices or airport fees, let's make this permanent. Can this plan be extended into the spring and fall? Lots of people outdoors then too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

Really its airplane noise, and train noise , and traffic noise. When I lived facing Derry , the traffic was more annoying then any airplane or train noise I suggest Derry Road be made traffic free after 9pm , say until 9am . Its like moving next to a farm, then complaining about the smell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:42 pm 

Don't worry avonannie. The aircraft complainers will only be allowed to drive every third weekend.
We will use the new model they have.
First weekend, only planes; second, only trains; third, only cars. Repeat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:58 pm 

Dear diary … 7 days since my last entry, it was over in 1 day. It’s annoying again. I noticed at 5ish pm today, since then, nonstop. I hope it stops. It’s relentless.

-Randy-South Park