HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moving To Georgetown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:01 am 

Hello,

I am looking for some input/advice. I was wondering what thoughts are out there of an East Indian family moving to Georgetown. I am concerned about our family being able to fit in with the current demographics there. More importantly will our children fit in and be accepted into the public schools there. We currently live in Milton and there is a healthy diverse mix of people in and our family feels right at home. The move to Georgetown would be due to real estate investment. Being able to afford a bigger home. However, not sure if this move would be a wise one. Would really like to know your honest and candid thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Moving To Georgetown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:15 pm 

Nothawthorny lives there. He’s probably the best person to answer this question.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 pm 

Georgetown is very different from Milton. You would be wise to do some serious investigation re the demographics and lifestyle before considering moving there. From what I know of the town it hasn't changed much over the years and friends of ours who live there would attest that it comprises mostly of very conservative people of "Anglo/Saxon" background who for the most part don't take kindly nor are very welcoming to other cultures or nationalities. And what's more they want to keep it that way. Georgetown has had that reputation for years and they couldn't care less about being labelled as being racist by outsiders. Apparently there are still a lot of "old money" families and they carry a lot of weight with the local politicians.

Another issue that you should consider is the lack of public transportation both within Georgetown and to Toronto or other nearby towns. Apparently, it's almost non existent. My friends said this is because they don't want the town to become another "bedroom community" like Milton and are therefore very resistant to any changes that they feel would destroy the old-world charm and lifestyle of their town. I would suggest you go and talk to several locals to get a feel of the place and also perhaps meet and have a candid conversation with the school principal and voice your concerns with them. Good luck and do some serious research before making a decision.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:08 am 

JobSearch wrote:
The move to Georgetown would be due to real estate investment. Being able to afford a bigger home.

Really? I don't live there, but have some anecdotal connection to the place, regularly over all the time Milton has been turning into what we see now. Here's the real salacious rumour about G. Town: it is a nicer community overall, and people like living there, you probably already know this. It's growing at a much slower and measured pace than Milton, with fewer growth-related problems than we have and will continue to have here. This keeps the place in demand, making for a lower bang-for-buck than Milton, not higher. It's the community people seek. One difference I can think of would be that you can get more interior space in Milton ("closeable doors"), but larger lots on average in Georgetown ("driveway space"). So what do you need?

The hackneyed warmed-over hoax of a Klan cell operating there is what you and others are responding to. Since you are asking for free life advice, here's mine: If you go in there with the attitude/expectation that you are obviously exhibiting, I predict you will have all the problems you are then angling for, your bias surely confirmed. However, if you made an attempt to accept the place for what it is, then on balance you will be accepted. That's actually how it works, and I would guess anyone there would tell you likewise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:38 am 

Just a suggestion: If you are conflicted about moving your family to Georgetown why not consider buying either in Guelph or Cambridge instead? The beautiful city of Guelph, in particular, a university town with a similar demographic as Milton might be more to your liking and has a lot more to offer a growing family than all the other surrounding towns combined. That would be my personal choice if we should decide to move from Milton. Houses might be priced somewhat higher than Georgetown but it would definitely prove to be a much better investment decision in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 am 

Terrible town, don't think about it, you will regret it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am 

Its all but connected to Brampton via hwy 7

This isn't Mississippi or Alabama. Move to Georgetown if you need or desire to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:11 pm 

NotHawthorny wrote:

Is that giant water pipe installed yet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:07 pm 

Hodor wrote:
NotHawthorny wrote:

Is that giant water pipe installed yet?
They are working on it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm 

All Star wrote:
Another issue that you should consider is the lack of public transportation both within Georgetown and to Toronto or other nearby towns. Apparently, it's almost non existent. My friends said this is because they don't want the town to become another "bedroom community" like Milton and are therefore very resistant to any changes that they feel would destroy the old-world charm and lifestyle of their town.

It already is a bedroom community. There are very few good jobs in the city and as a result, most people who live in Gtown are commuters. However, there is no plan for local transit in any way, shape or form in the near future. We can all speculate as to why, but it is what it is and I like it that way. However, we have two GO stations for use, one in town and one close by, so getting to Toronto this way is the norm for many in the town.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 pm 

BTW: I want to say something else to you if you don't mind. I'm sure to be a lot older than yourself (as we have adult children in their late 40's) so you might consider my perspective and input to be out of vogue and no longer relevant with todays' economic reality. Just the same, I would like to extend an old-fashioned bit of advise to you. You mentioned that you're considering the move to Georgetown to purchase a bigger house as a real estate investment. I constantly hear the same sentiment expressed by others and especially from the real estate cartel which has been very successful in brainwashing a whole generation of young people to believe this nonsense. IMO, a house should be viewed as a long-term investment, to be sure, but first and foremost a place for you to create a peaceful, happy, and stress free home for your family regardless of its future investment potential -- A home and community where your whole family can feel secure in and where your children can grow and learn to assimilate and interact within a diverse cultural mosaic and be fully accepted as being Canadian rather than just members of a visible minority. This takes time, effort, and a personal investment and commitment in your community. But one does not create either a "home" or a caring community by using their house simply as an "investment" and trading it like stocks on the market. There is a big difference between owning just a house, even a bigger one, and an actual "home" where a family can create life-long memories. Most people these days don't even know the names of their neighbors or care to get to know them at all because they're here now and gone tomorrow. It's sad to see what this modern lifestyle with its addiction to the almighty dollar and frenzy to keep up with the Jones has done to families and communities. Is it really any wonder that people are so frazzled and stressed out nowadays that they don't know whether they're coming or going. According to physicians and therapists, the use of prescription and illicit drug use, especially anti anxiety and depression medication, alcohol, and other addictive and self-destructive behavior is at an all time high these days. And yet, people still willingly continue to add even more stress to their life and blame everyone but themselves when they end up with empty and meaningless lives.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully I've given you something else to think about, or maybe not. Most likely you already knew all this and just needed to be reminded about what really counts and is valuable in life. I sincerely wish all the best for you and your family.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm 

Yep. House is a place to live. Don’t count it in your future income planning. All Star dropping senior knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 am 

I really appreciate everyone's candid advice. This is very helpful. I think we are very close to making our decision. I am glad I posted here.

All Star - you are right, a house needs to be a home. Right now we are in a "home" where we know our neighbours and surrounding neighbours. Our kids are very happy in their school. Our kids are second generation Canadians, so we are very well assimilated. However, there needs to be an overall acceptance beyond the skin colour. We don't want to move and then wonder everyday if we fit in or not.