HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Skiing Lessons
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 pm 

I'm looking at introducing my kids to skiing this winter. My wife and I don't ski. I looked up lessons and was shocked to see the cost of lessons. I was looking at registering a 6 and 4 year old for January (8) week session. The cost of lesson / rental and lift pass would cost me $1444.14. How is someone able to introduce a child in this sport? Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions on how to get started for cheaper?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Skiing Lessons
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 pm 

I'd say stick to cross country
as theres no tree at the end waiting to claim a victim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:30 pm 

If my math is correct. 2 kids at 8 (I'm assuming hourly sessions) is approx. $90 per hour in lessons. Seems about right. Sports cost money. Golf lessons cost $100+ per hour, Skiing is more intensive, so I'd say that's more than fair. Sports are expensive. That's just a fact.

EDIT: just saw that it includes rentals.. my snowboard equipment costs $1500 - which is factored into your price. Best bet is to buy equipment outright to avoid paying rental fees. Or choose a more affordable sport for your kids based on your means.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:21 am 

The sad truth is, nobody ever started skiing to save money. I’ve been skiing my entire life and now me, my wife and kids all have season passes at Glen Eden and the kids have weekly lessons. It’s isanely expensive, and to pay this much for what’s basically a potato mound with a chairlift hurts.

BUT - it’s close, it’s something fun to do in the winter, and when kids are on an chairlift there’s nothing else for them to do but talk to you. It’s a sport they can continue to do until they die of old age, it’s something you can do alone or with someone else. To me, it’s the perfect sport.

My advice to you is go for it - there’s actually a ski swap at Glen Eden tomorrow morning at 9am! You can find great deals on new and used kids ski gear, which is always better than renting. The rental lineup at Glen Eden is insane anyway.

Go check out the swap, see if you can find some good deals, and also stop by the main office at Kelso and ask about lesson availability. They fill up FAST! I’ve had my kids registered since March. Registering now would probably negate any early bird deals they have as well.

You think it’s expensive now, wait until you want to take a weeks vacation and need to buy transportation, lift tickets, accommodation, lessons, and food. Yikes!! My parents never made a ton of money, but they somehow did this every year and I truly am grateful. My dad just turned 69 and we can still ski all day together - it’s an awesome sport.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:01 pm 

Thanks all for your feedback. I understand there is a cost for everything, more and more kids are getting hooked on iPads / Phones and don't want to participate in any activities and many parents are now ok with this because the cost is too expensive for extracurricular activities . Hence why we starting to see an obese problem at such a young age. They should offer an introductory package to see weather or not the child has an interest in skiing before making such a commitment right off the start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:01 pm 

otp wrote:
Thanks all for your feedback. I understand there is a cost for everything, more and more kids are getting hooked on iPads / Phones and don't want to participate in any activities and many parents are now ok with this because the cost is too expensive for extracurricular activities . Hence why we starting to see an obese problem at such a young age. They should offer an introductory package to see weather or not the child has an interest in skiing before making such a commitment right off the start.

There is a “discover skiing” thing that most hills offer (Glen Eden included). It’s for ‘never-evers’ and is $25 or something for a lift ticket, rental, and lesson. Not sure if it’s good for little kids but something to look in to.

I suggest you take a trip to Kelso tomorrow morning and check it out. Talk to the girls in the office (new one on the west side) and they’ll tell you the best and cheapest way to do what you want to do. You might just be better off waiting until early spring to register for next winter at this point, but knowledge is power!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:21 pm 

Check out https://niagaraskirentals.ca/rentals where you can rent for the entire season for about $100. That should save you a fair bit of coin. Then you just need to buy lift tickets and lessons. Group lessons are cheaper and I would recommend them to get started.

Fun fact: I learned at Glen Eden for free years ago as I won their first and last photography contest while I was taking a photography course at Sheridan College.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 am 

if you're looking at used skis or thinking of buying skis for your kids go to corbetts or sporting life. they both do a half back program where you buy new and at the end of the season, you get 1/2 your money back as a credit. or if it still fits, keep them the for another year and when they've grown out of it, take them to play it again sports to get some $$ back.

Alternatively, you can go there and buy their 1 yrs old skis someone returned from the previous season at a discounted price.

Do not go to play it again sports to buy. their stuff is over priced and beat up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:37 pm 

otp wrote:

In the States nearly always the kids ski free (parents also if you are staying at a resort)
They still manage to have quite the obesity issue though

Also if just wishing to check out skiing, Glen Eden is part of the SnowPass program ($30 for 3 visits)
And if they like it you can then make a quick commute to other local ski hills

https://www.skicanada.org/grade-4-5-snowpass/

The fun packs can also easily be broken out (eg in case 1 child wants to ski more than the other)

https://www.skicanada.org/shop/fun-pack/