HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:15 am 

Here is the town's response time:
http://www.milton.ca/engserv/SnowCleari ... -Roads.pdf

Technically since the storm lasted till late last night don't expect anything till tonight/tomorrow morning. It’s a major adventure getting in and out of your home, we are on Bessy/Hood and I am pretty unhappy at the response time, but I guess we suck it in. The last snow fall never got ploughed, the next day or so they sprinkled some sand/salt to mush things up

So many cars were stuck last night and same scenario this morning with all that snow. If you don't have a 4x4 you need a spade and a heavily built 'pusher' (or hubby :-) ) to get you to Yates :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:20 am 

I know in Mississauga, fire trucks are designed to drive though up to 6 feet of snow!!! Other emergency service vehicles have the same design as well, but maybe not 6 feet!

I am sure Colin B. will be able to answer this.....

but I would have to assume Halton emergency services have the same vehicle design in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am 

That's true. With a four wheel drive and snow tires you will come up tops for sure, and I am sure the emergency vehicles will have a few more gadgets to help em...6ft!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:42 am 

This issue is discussed in other threads on this board. Seems not alot of people are really concerned about the lack of care and attention to our roads and sidewalks. Do you think as the Town continues to grow, the level of service will improve? I think the Town's policy its quite clear by now, regardless of what its says on its web site. Oh well.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:23 pm 

Im finding that Milton is a lot slower than mississauga at plowing the streets. Dont even get me started on having a limit on garbage.. also a big difference between mississauga and milton..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:44 pm 

I should slightly edit myself....

they can drive though 6' snow banks... but then can drive though very high snow covered roads as well...

by the way i got my info from Mayor Hazel McCallion herself at an event i was attending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:48 pm 

Wyl wrote:
I should slightly edit myself....

they can drive though 6' snow banks... but then can drive though very high snow covered roads as well...

by the way i got my info from Mayor Hazel McCallion herself at an event i was attending.

:lol:

Now that sounds more like it! We had up to 10' unploughed so that could have stopped em dead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 am 

This link, http://www.milton.ca/engserv/SnowCleari ... -Roads.pdf, shows snow removal response times by city of Milton. Maximum wait time is 24 hours when there is more than 30 cm of snow. It has been about 2 days and we are still waiting for plowers to come to our street. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:25 pm 

My street hasn't been plowed yet and it's been well over 24 hours now. Neither has Burgess Gardens or Sprague been plowed, to name a few. Last night my car got stuck turning a corner (I was headed to my mailbox). Luckily I worked my way out of it but it took me a good few minutes of trying. I was getting prepared to have to abandon it in the middle of the street and go for help. I was not amused.

I know everyone keeps saying that we have to suck it up because Milton has grown too fast - but my argument to this would be that if the town of Milton knew it wouldn't be able to provide services then it shouldn't have been so quick to sell all it's land to builders. Furthermore, Milton may be growing too quickly but I really doubt it's short on money. They should either be spending some of our tax money to hire an army of workers, or simply contract the plowing out. My old street in Mississauga was plowed 3x the day of the storm and again on Saturday just to get the last bit up. I know Milton isn't Mississauga and we shouldn't expect it to be (or necessarily want it to be), but come on this is ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:20 am 

I arrived home from work approximately 2PM on Friday. My wife got home afew minutes earlier. Our driveway had already been plowed in by what appeared to be 2 passes of a snow plow. I am on the corner so I have a huge pile of snow to shovel. so our cars are parked in from tof my driveway. I go in to change. 15 minutes later I come out to the parking enforcement leaving my 2 cars with $30 tickets on each one. I ask the officer "where I am should park until I get the snow shoveled?" She was not the most pleasant lady...as she rolled up her window and drove away to issue tickets to others who were lucky enough to have the street plowed by 2 in the afternoon and had nowhere to park.

I call the town parking enforcement and they offer to reduce the tickets by 50%. I informed them that I was taking the matter to court and I have photos of the situation and that tehy did not act in a reasonable manner. I was put on hold for about 10 minutes and the, pleasant, lady infomred me that she had cancelled the tickets.

Trudeau north was plowed at leaset 4 times between 1PM on Friday and 7 am on Saturday

So...three things.

1. watch out for parking enforcement after a snow fall. They will be looking for opportunities to issue tickets.
2. if you got a ticket. Phone and complain.
3. Get your car off the street as soon as possible so the roads can be plowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:08 am 

I am on Maquire Terr and so far now plow here. It has been over 48 hours.

Called the city several times on the weekend and this morning. Got the typical reply that the message will be passed on.

Milton is the worst managed city I have ever lived in.

Probably will sell and move out in summer. No school for kids, no plowing however the tax bill shows up on time. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:37 am 

Still nothing on my street or the surrounding streets. I get the feeling that at this point, they don't intend to plow those streets that weren't done. They know it's going to be 8 degrees tomorrow & rainy, so they don't want to spend money on something that's going to be gone soon. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:32 pm 

christieg77 wrote:
Still nothing on my street or the surrounding streets. I get the feeling that at this point, they don't intend to plow those streets that weren't done. They know it's going to be 8 degrees tomorrow & rainy, so they don't want to spend money on something that's going to be gone soon. :roll:

I agree, no point now since the snow will be melting soon.

I did call the town and they only made excuses.

We should register our protests. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:49 pm 

I have already ask the town to refund the snow plowing portion from the tax bill.

No services, No tax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:53 pm 

Residential streets are not required to be plowed clean right down to the pavement. Even in Mississauga I live on a residential street that is not plowed very well...they do the top layer just to flatten the snow so it's not too deep. All minicipalites you will find the same rule applies. All major routes are totally cleaned while the small residential routes are not. Complaining to the town will get you nowhere! Take a look at this site and it will tell you!

http://www.milton.ca/engserv/SnowClearingChart-Roads.pdf