HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: In older homes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:52 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Groundbreaking wrote:

In the past slimy landlords have used loopholes like claiming a family member wants to move in but now they have to pay compensation if they try that trick.

With that ridiculously low 1.8 percent government regulated annual rent increase it's no wonder that "slimy landlords" as YOU say, are using loophole tactics to get tenants out of homes.

Yes, I am sure there are SOME slimy landlords out there but there are also lots of slimy tenants who seem to be protected by unbalanced current rules that favour tenants.

Just try to get a tenant out of a home that does not pay rent, is damaging the property, has others move in with them. Yes, a landlord may eventually get then out but as far as collecting past rent,,,,,,, forget it.

There was a user in here Landlord, might have some advice to give. Wonder what ever happened to that guy? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:02 am 

Carl wrote:
unfortunately this percentage increase applies to everyone including purpose built apartments. Individual home owners also caught in this but they cannot recoupe any additional interest payments as a result of increase in interest rates. Can they cap increase in interest rates?

You cannot continue to have a losing one which is draining more cash out. As a result the landlord has to resort to remove the existing tenants if they try to play landlord-tenant rule book or resort to sell the property.

If someone is choosing to invest in property in this way they'll likely have a longer term outlook and anticipate interest rate increases. Currently, they're still experiencing small increases and historical low interest rates. If a half percent interest rate is putting them in jeopardy they should probably be looking for different investment vehicles. It isn't a huge savings but increased interest payments also increases how much they can deduct (the interest they pay is tax deductible). It might be best for them to sell the property and invest in weed stocks if they're struggling that much.

Purpose built apartments often use a strategy of discounting rental rates. Your rent is $1500 but we'll only charge you $1350 because that's the market rate now. When there is a need they will eliminate that discount.

From a tenants perspective, their pay isn't increased with increased with interest rates. In fact 1.8% is above inflation and very likely above their annual wage increases.

There certainly are slimy tenants and we occasionally hear about some of the extreme stories in the news. I know some jurisdictions have registries for particularly bad tenants but that is fraught with all kinds of other issues. Those experiences are extremely frustrating but all too often the landlord doesn't do his or her homework. They're entering a potentially long term contract with someone and the most research they do is to note they're driving a Mercedes so they must be a good tenant. They have to consider that they could be renting this property to these people for the next 20 years (and with a contract that says I can only increase their rent by 1.8%/year).

While tenants can be crap the law is sided towards the tenants because the vast majority of the time it is the landlord being the slimy one. They have the power and money and some of they pull some horrible stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:09 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Hodor wrote:
What a horrible world we live in where the haves are in one small way legally prevented from screwing the have-nots. Good thing we’ve got a nepotistic douchebag who will “fix” everything. FOR THE PEOPLE!

No concept of private property?
I own something I AM allowed to sell the home for whatever price I can scam someone out of
Yet for some oddball reason that same house has regulations in how much I am allowed to rent it for?
Keep voting NDP buddy

Slimy Developers, Slimy Speculators, Slimy Realtors all AOK
Slimy Landlords must be stopped cause they are the problem with housing affordability
Obviously

Any concept of contract law? I rent your property and we sign a contract. I agree to certain things (leave the property in good condition, pay rent on time, report maintenance issues in a timely manner, etc.) and you agree to certain things (make sure the property is well maintained, ONLY INCREASE RENT BY 1.8% PER YEAR, not enter my home without prior notice, etc.) A landlord is going in with eyes wide open (I hope).

Your private property becomes my home once I sign a contract with you.

Remember it's Doug Ford who is about the little guy, not the NDP. He'll fix all of this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 pm 

Groundbreaking wrote:

Any concept of contract law? I rent your property and we sign a contract. I agree to certain things (leave the property in good condition, pay rent on time, report maintenance issues in a timely manner, etc.) and you agree to certain things (make sure the property is well maintained, ONLY INCREASE RENT BY 1.8% PER YEAR, not enter my home without prior notice, etc.) A landlord is going in with eyes wide open (I hope).

Either willful blindness or you missed the entire point of this thread

There is NO SUCH THING as contract law where rentals are concerned in this province
That is one of my major beefs

The incredibly one sided Residential Tenancy Act supersedes anything either of us wishes to agree to (they even use a standardized form now)

Luckily there is (still) one HUGE loophole that can be used by a would-be landlord who wishes to increase rents more, and even insta-evict bad tenants.
Shared facility for the win!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:54 pm 

Never would have guessed you shared your bathroom with poor people! (I bet many of them are dippers too)

Here's an better winning strategy for you: Choose good tenants and don't be a dick.