HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 am 

Does anyone know the reason for 30 inches clearance from gas stove to the exhaust hood or microwave exhaust fan?

What are the implications of not having that clearance? Equipment failure, health safety issues?

I am planning on getting a over the range microwave with exhaust which is over a gas stove but I am only getting 20 inches clearance.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 am 

It will undoubtedly be a fire code requirement, fire is their specialty. The potential of four rising fires with the fan left accidentally off would melt an oven in no time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:07 am 

The builder will not install the microwave hood fan when there is a gas stove. This is because even the 30 inch clearance is not fire proof with gas stove.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:28 am 

newhome wrote:
Does anyone know the reason for 30 inches clearance from gas stove to the exhaust hood or microwave exhaust fan?

What are the implications of not having that clearance? Equipment failure, health safety issues?

I am planning on getting a over the range microwave with exhaust which is over a gas stove but I am only getting 20 inches clearance.

A 30 inch clearance is not required between the top of the range and the exhaust hood. The 30 inch clearance is too combustible materials unless the manufacturers clearances in the instructions have more stringent requirements.

BTW, venting via over the range microwaves is typically not as good as a normal good quality range hood and installing a microwave/vent over a gas stove is not something I would do. Gas ranges should really have a high quality dedicate exhaust fan above them.

Quote:
Code Rule 9.10.21.2. Vertical Clearances above Ranges.
(1) Except as provided in Sentence (2), framing, finishes and cabinetry installed directly above the location of the electric or gas range burners or elements shall be not less than 30 inches above the level of range burners or elements.
(2) The vertical clearance described in sentence (1) for framing, finishes and cabinets located directly above the location of the range is permitted to be reduced to 23 5/8 inches above the level of the elements or burners provided the framing, finishes and cabinets are (a) non combustible, or (b)(i)(ii) are protected by asbestos millboard not less than 6mm thick, covered with sheet metal not less than 0.33mm thick, or a metal hood with a 125mm projection beyond the framing, finishes and cabinets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:39 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
newhome wrote:

A 30 inch clearance is not required between the top of the range and the exhaust hood. The 30 inch clearance is too combustible materials unless the manufacturers clearances in the instructions have more stringent requirements.

BTW, venting via over the range microwaves is typically not as good as a normal good quality range hood and installing a microwave/vent over a gas stove is not something I would do. Gas ranges should really have a high quality dedicate exhaust fan above them.

Quote:
(1) Except as provided in Sentence (2), framing, finishes and cabinetry installed directly above the location of the electric or gas range burners or elements shall be not less than 30 inches above the level of range burners or elements.
(2) The vertical clearance described in sentence (1) for framing, finishes and cabinets located directly above the location of the range is permitted to be reduced to 23 5/8 inches above the level of the elements or burners provided the framing, finishes and cabinets are (a) non combustible, or (b)(i)(ii) are protected by asbestos millboard not less than 6mm thick, covered with sheet metal not less than 0.33mm thick, or a metal hood with a 125mm projection beyond the framing, finishes and cabinets.

Thanks you for your input. So basically the way I am reading this (including the code you referenced), having less than 30’’ clearance is not a health safety issue, its just that this might damage the finishing around the gas stove.

The over the range microwave exhaust has a metal base and it is not going to burn or catch on fire. The cabinets are there but they are not right on top of the gas stove. Plus, if there was a risk of cabinets catching on fire then the builder would not provide both the gas line and the cabinets lol

What am I missing here?

OR

If you use millboard not less than 6mm thick, covered with sheet metal not less than 0.33mm thick, or a metal hood with a 125mm projection beyond the framing, finishes and cabinets you should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:26 pm 

newhome wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:
newhome wrote:

Quote:

Thanks you for your input. So basically the way I am reading this (including the code you referenced), having less than 30’’ clearance is not a health safety issue, its just that this might damage the finishing around the gas stove.

The over the range microwave exhaust has a metal base and it is not going to burn or catch on fire. The cabinets are there but they are not right on top of the gas stove. Plus, if there was a risk of cabinets catching on fire then the builder would not provide both the gas line and the cabinets lol

What am I missing here?

OR

If you use millboard not less than 6mm thick, covered with sheet metal not less than 0.33mm thick, or a metal hood with a 125mm projection beyond the framing, finishes and cabinets you should be fine.

Not sure I can add much more to this. The rules pertaine to what is above the stove not what is around the stove. My advice would be to put a deicated hood fan above your gas stove not a microwave. Even though technically you could put a microwave lower above the stove does not mean it's a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 pm 

Quote:
Even though technically you could put a microwave lower above the stove does not mean it's a good idea.

Why is it not a good idea though - this is what i am trying to figure out so i can assess the risk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:33 am 

My contribution: The rising heated air off a live gas fire is not the same as the radiant heat created by any other type of appliance. The diddly little fans on OTR micros are designed to carry steam and cooking smells away, the for-real range hoods you should be using over gas are built to be more capable and carry away heat.

Not convinced? Fire up your barbecue to the estimated BTU of the gas range you intend to buy and hold your hand 20" over it holding a thermometer. Hurts eh? The front of your microwave would eventually fail under regular use to maximum potential heat, the front 2 gas burners extended out further than the OTR, the weak noisemaker exhaust intakes are only over the rear two.

I'm surprised the code does not specifically prohibit this, I guess it's not always full of common sense. Post your findings though in any case, that's what this BB is for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49 pm 

The manufacturer will specify if the microwave can be installed over a gas range, what the combined max BTUs are, and how much clearance is needed.

What microwave are you considering installing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 pm 

So i did some more research and found out (as most people suggested) that using OTR micro over gas stove will not have coverage over the front 2 burners hence, it will not do what it is supposed to do when the front burners are on. Second, the circuitry inside the microwave may melt and cause malfunction or possible fire (even thought i could find any cases of fire due to this). But i do know someone whos OTR microwave stopped working twice - perhaps because it was installed over gas stove with not enough clearance.

So based on this, I will just go with a regular range hood under the cabinet and put the microwave on the counter.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 am 

newhome wrote:
So i did some more research and found out (as most people suggested) that using OTR micro over gas stove will not have coverage over the front 2 burners hence, it will not do what it is supposed to do when the front burners are on. Second, the circuitry inside the microwave may melt and cause malfunction or possible fire (even thought i could find any cases of fire due to this). But i do know someone whos OTR microwave stopped working twice - perhaps because it was installed over gas stove with not enough clearance.

So based on this, I will just go with a regular range hood under the cabinet and put the microwave on the counter.

Thank you

Good choice. There are lots of nice / good range hoods out there. It's not something you will need to focus on right away because low cost builder grade units are usually fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 am 

newhome wrote:

Thank you

Good choice. There are lots of nice / good range hoods out there. It's not something you will need to focus on right away because low cost builder grade units are usually fine.