HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:28 pm 

Hello I have an issue with my basement sump pump (original by Mattamy, about 9 years old). It remains continuously ON, but not sucking water; only few drops are being pumped out. I originally thought it was due to too cold outside and possible there was no water in the structure. However, since the snow has melted considerably, that should not be the case. In any case, pump should turn off if there was no water.

What could be the issue?

Does anyone know a handy man who can replace pump for me?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 pm 

Unplug it, right now, do not let it run steadily until you fix it. You should be looking to replace that thing soon ideally.

Since it's so warm it will not be that the outlet is frozen. It ts stuck on somehow, most probably the float is hanging up or the switch is broken in the on position.

There is a ton of online content to read, in here as well as on YT. Also worth reading: https://www.google.ca/search?q=milton+f ... jwTw4K-gDQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:14 am 

Very wise advice B&T402. The sump needs to be unplugged. This problem can cause a fire in the pit that can result in significant damage to the home or worse. All one needs to do is the Google - Milton sump fires or Halton sump fires to see that this is a problem.

It could be a very simple problem that is easily fixed. Usually the float is stuck causing the pump switch to stay in the ON position OR the pump is just defective. Typically builders install low cost pumps in the homes they build and sometimes the installations are poorly done. Pedestal pumps have been the main cause of fires but poorly installed submersible pumps can also overheat. Either way, after nine years it is probably time for a new pump.

There are low cost pumps with plastic parts and plastic impellers and better cast iron pumps with steel impellers. People who think they will soon want to replace their pumps may want to keep an eye out for some great sales at TSC on good quality pumps.