HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:11 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Norts999 wrote:
There are worse places to live that pay way more property tax for sunken manholes and dandelions.
https://www.inhalton.com/how-high-are-m ... her-cities
I’m going to chalk this up to 2 planned new fire stations, pay my bill and continue to complain about dandelions.
Yaaaaay Milton! Gimme a “M”"..........

The Sherwood Centre (library + pool) and the 2 major roads expansion took way more capital than fire stations (btw 2? Where is 2nd planned?)

Station 1 and 5
http://www.miltonfire.ca/en/aboutus/fir ... _mid_=5570

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm 

MiltonBorn wrote:
Burrcold wrote:
hughd wrote:
An 8.3% property tax increase... and everyone is okay with this ?

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story ... in-region/

An extra $20/month on a $1M home lol big deal.

Maybe not to you but it is if you're a senior on a fixed income.

...all of those struggling seniors sitting in $1M+ homes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am 

No one likes paying more taxes but some people here will evidently oppose ANY tax increase regardless of the reasoning.

According to the article at least some of it will be set aside for infrastructure renewal which is great. We don't want to end up like Mississauga where they kept taxes low for decades by relying on development charges and then suddenly had massive shortfalls once they ran out of places to build. Give council some credit for looking ahead.

We also don't want to end up like Toronto that has the lowest taxes in Ontario but they can't fund their transit system and your kids can't get into swimming lessons. No one there has the political will to raise taxes despite the clear need to.

Personally I would like to see some of the increase go to improving snow clearing. The difference between Halton and Peel is very evident. Peel actually has sidewalks you can walk down, the roads are salted BEFORE the ice rain hits and roads are plowed quickly. Getting to and from work at a decent speed in the winter would be worth $20 a month to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:34 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
Mr.Peppermint wrote:
The Sherwood Centre (library + pool) and the 2 major roads expansion took way more capital than fire stations (btw 2? Where is 2nd planned?)

Station 1 and 5

Oh...
I was thinking of adding 5, wasn't considering any reno to existing stations

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Norts999 wrote:
Mr.Peppermint wrote:

Station 1 and 5

Oh...
I was thinking of adding 5, wasn't considering any reno to existing stations

Reno is only a quarter million 20 dollar bills. No biggie.
Regardless, I have no problem funding fire fighters, I’d just like to know if that’s the case here.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:02 am 

Well it's good to see that our insane 8% municipal increase is will continue to support the snowplow that drove down my street this morning with it blade down as it cleared the 1/2 of snow on the road. Gee, not even a windrow.

Shame that the town bothered with this because all the snow on the roads melted 30 minutes later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Well it's good to see that our insane 8% municipal increase is will continue to support the snowplow that drove down my street this morning with it blade down as it cleared the 1/2 of snow on the road. Gee, not even a windrow.

Shame that the town bothered with this because all the snow on the roads melted 30 minutes later.

Saw one of the monster plows, blade up, going around the roundabout this morning on a dry road around 10am.
Also saw 2 sidewalk plows cruising around 11am, blades up.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm 

Please send them to my street instead next time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:10 am 

Groundbreaking wrote:

Please send them to my street instead next time.

If I could send them anywhere yesterday then it would have been back to the yard to park the plows.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm 

Most people are not okay with this ridiculously high 8.3% tax increase. At one point,in the past there was a Ratepayer's Association which had a say in how the town was "run". Now, Councillors think Milton is their fiefdom and the taxpayers are their serfs. The town is "run" by staff who, by and large, don't live in Milton.
If you've been to a Council meeting, Councillors and Mayor "rubber stamp" spending without asking any questions. Is it time to form a Ratepayer's Association?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:36 pm 

Joan wrote:

If you've been to a Council meeting, Councillors and Mayor "rubber stamp" spending without asking any questions. Is it time to form a Ratepayer's Association?

Not true, our Mayor and 3 others voted against this increase. 5 others voted for it. In other words it was 5 for the misguided and 4 for the sensible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:59 pm 

Which 5 ? Dumb it down for us.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 am 

F NO..IM NOT GOOD WITH THIS
.ESPECIALLY WHEN THE FIRE CHIEF IS PAYING FOR HIS SEXUAL PERVERSION ON MY DIME...