HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:00 pm 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zan5P1CwyMQgzixh7

Hello everyone,

I am looking for anyone else who's car got damaged on steel protective barriers at Esso gas station on James Snow Parkway and Main. Any scratch, dent, bump anything. If this have happened to you please contact me. This is not right. The management of this gas station have to pay for their negligence and lack of respect for the customers and their property.

Last weekend I went to that gas station and while I was leaving, I drove with the side of my truck right into a low barrier located on the pump #11 and #12.

That barrier is not visible from the driver seat of my truck and it is mounted right in the path of the vehicles pulling out of that pump #11. I spoke with the management and of course they blame me, and my driving skills and they refuse to accept any responsibility for this.

I am a paying customer who goes to Esso to fill gas, play lottery and buy coffee... I am not supposed to drive through the obstacle course just to safely exit from this pump.

I did some research and I found out that this is the only gas station in the region that has these low barriers installed away from the pump 75" away. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of protecting the gas pump? The only purpose of this barrier on this location is to damage our vehicles. The managemet don't care. They placed reflective stickers to make it more visible :lol: Are you serious? If I can't see it from my driver seat what these stickers will do for me?

To make things worse there use to be a sign about 5 feet tall bolted right behind that barrier, it broke off and as per manager Esso gas station he removed it 2 months ago!!!? You can see it on all other pumps except that one on the pics that I provided. Ironically, that sign was stating that trucks should only use the outside pump #12 :shock: That sign help people realize that there is an object located there.

I also provided pictures from some of the other gas stations, all of them that have those barriers installed them 6" away from the gas pump island.

Pictures included:
-Gas pump and steel barrier
-View from my truck
-Other pumps from the same gas station
-Damage on my truck
-Pictures of steel barriers properly installed from other gas stations

If something similar happened to you please send me a pm.

Thank you,
Azur

Last edited by azur on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:45 pm 

same thing happened on my caravan front bumper which I haven't repaired yet.
I pmed you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:12 am 

Those are there as a safety precaution so that people don't drive into the gas pumps. Unfortunately, we as a society have to cater to our weakest links. As a result, we need to put up barriers for things that would not be an issue for 99.9% of the population. With that said, 99.9% of the population would not have an issue avoiding this barrier as its clear as day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 am 

NotHawthorny wrote:
Those are there as a safety precaution so that people don't drive into the gas pumps. Unfortunately, we as a society have to cater to our weakest links. As a result, we need to put up barriers for things that would not be an issue for 99.9% of the population. With that said, 99.9% of the population would not have an issue avoiding this barrier as its clear as day.

Thank you very much for taking your time, sharing your thoughts and wisdom with me and including the stats as well.

I don't think that you read my post well and/or you understood my issue here. I do not have a problem with barriers being placed in proper location. In Canada there are laws, regulations and standards that we all have to follow and barriers on this particular location are not installed by the standard.

If I agree on your estimate of 99.9% population being able to avoid this barrier, that leaves 0.1% customers that are hitting this barrier (which is 1 in 1000 people). If we were to assume that gas station has 1000-2000 cars driving in and out every day means every day 1 or 2 people are hitting that barrier daily. Don't you think that something is wrong there?

This is why the management are placing pallets with merchandise in front of those and they placed reflective stickers on the barrier because people are scratching their vehicles all the time.

How about you find me one more gas station in GTA that has barriers away from the pump like this?

Go on google and look, you can't find one like this.

As far as the driving skills or being a careful driver, I would love to park side by side your and mine cars and compare scratches and dents. If your car is at least 2 years old and you have less scratches and dents than my truck, I buy you a nice dinner. My truck is almost 4 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:32 am 

I agree with the gas station owner. As a licensed driver you are responsible for being aware of your surroundings. The barrier didn't hit you, you hit it.

You're probably the kind of person that gets mad at the object you stubbed your toe on.

Last edited by stevenr on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:59 am 

azur wrote:
NotHawthorny wrote:

Thank you very much for taking your time, sharing your thoughts and wisdom with me and including the stats as well.

I don't think that you read my post well and/or you understood my issue here. I do not have a problem with barriers being placed in proper location. In Canada there are laws, regulations and standards that we all have to follow and barriers on this particular location are not installed by the standard.

If I agree on your estimate of 99.9% population being able to avoid this barrier, that leaves 0.1% customers that are hitting this barrier (which is 1 in 1000 people). If we were to assume that gas station has 1000-2000 cars driving in and out every day means every day 1 or 2 people are hitting that barrier daily. Don't you think that something is wrong there?

This is why the management are placing pallets with merchandise in front of those and they placed reflective stickers on the barrier because people are scratching their vehicles all the time.

How about you find me one more gas station in GTA that has barriers away from the pump like this?

Go on google and look, you can't find one like this.

As far as the driving skills or being a careful driver, I would love to park side by side your and mine cars and compare scratches and dents. If your car is at least 2 years old and you have less scratches and dents than my truck, I buy you a nice dinner. My truck is almost 4 years old.

I read your entire post good sir. What law dictates barrier distance from the pumps? I am not aware of any such regulation. Its rather unfortunate, but yes you guys in the .01% of drivers deserve what happens. It is your responsibility to know what is near your vehicle and avoid it. What if you hit a child, would it be the parents fault because you didn't see it? While I am confident in my car being in better condition as I don't hit easily avoidable objects, I have to decline as would be apprehensive to be in the same parking lot someone who runs into easily avoidable and noticeable items.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:08 pm 

Also, just to better understand you my good friend, what is your take on this?

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wo ... d=39115061

Was it the fault of the lake? The GPS? The lake and the GPS? Or god forbid the driver?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:25 pm 

did you not notice the barrier when you were filling up ? Also i do a circle check as i am use to doing this with work vehicles that i drive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm 

Well,,, IMO the gas station should have installed normal bollards and not some low contraption of a barrier. Bollards are taller, typically a bright colour like yellow, and designed for this purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 pm 

I agree with the gas station owner on this one.
Funny thing is, that some of the other examples you gave pictures of are shorter than the one you hit.
You can also see the skid out of your passenger side window. And the part you can see is shorter than the barrier.
Now your door pillar is in the way, but you assumed nothing was there. Move your head and look.
Also, were you not just standing there filling up on that side of the vehicle? Have a look.
I can't see the curb in front of my car in a parking lot. Does it make the property owner responsible if I drive over it after being parked?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:03 pm 

NotHawthorny wrote:
Look at captain fancy pants up in here with "Bollard". Bet you call your car hole a garage too eh frenchie?

Oh,,,, so sorry..... but that's what "those protective post things" are called.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bollards&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA753CA756&oq=bollards&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 pm 

next time I am going to drive around this and actually see what happens. In the past I have gone there many times and this was a non issue. Why people are not looking around when coming to the gas station or looking around when pumping gas?

I see one pillar has been damaged. If I were the gas station owner, I will ask reimbursement for damaging the pillar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm 

Is this guy serious? You crashed into a stationary object. You're required (as a driver in Ontario) to know the spacing of your vehicle at all times. You weren't paying attention, no one gives a damn that you can't see out your truck.

So if there was a baby standing there and you ran it over, the excuse you're going to use in court is that your truck is too high and you couldn't see your blindspot? The sense of entitlement you have is ASTOUNDING. I hope ESSO makes you pay for damaging their safety barriers. You want to compare scratches on cars.. lol... I can't even call you what I want to call you since it'll violate community guidelines.

Probably one of the most entitled, hilarious things I've seen on here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 am 

So Azur, are you feeling good about making the effort to post on this forum? All that empathy and constructive criticism warming your heart. Hope to see you back soon!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:14 am 

As luck would have it, I was slumming it yesterday and was in Milton. Decided to take a quick pop by the Esso in question for shits and giggles. How in the blue hell you hit that is beyond me. I drive an elevated vehicle as well and there is no way in hell I would hit that (and im a self admitted bad driver). On another note, the one you hit (as its clearly mangled) is so out in the open, you would have to be trying to hit it. Maybe the truck is too much for you? Perhaps get yourself a nice Kia Forte and that way all things will be visible except your dignity.