HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 am 

Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to change the orientation/direction of a kitchen island in a new build with Mattamy (example: Instead of having the island vertically on the plan we would like to have it horizontally). Island has a sink and dishwasher. If we are willing to pay would they do it or are they ridiculously strict on "structural" changes? I asked both the sales representatives and the design centre and they seemed to say it wasn't possible because that kind of change is "structural" but that seems really odd to me. Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:09 am 

Jeff and Priscilla wrote:
Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to change the orientation/direction of a kitchen island in a new build with Mattamy (example: Instead of having the island vertically on the plan we would like to have it horizontally). Island has a sink and dishwasher. If we are willing to pay would they do it or are they ridiculously strict on "structural" changes? I asked both the sales representatives and the design centre and they seemed to say it wasn't possible because that kind of change is "structural" but that seems really odd to me. Thanks in advance

This would all depend on the size and weight of the island and counter. Maybe their thinking is that the island is planned to go across 4 or 5 wood I-beams instead of along 1 or 2 wood I-beams. But there may also be posts or a steel I-beam that would easily provide enough support. The plans would need to be looked at first.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:19 pm 

Thank you for your response. I was actually just wondering if anyone had any success having Mattamy change the orientation when building the house. When I asked the sales centre they seemed to suggest they would likely not do it but I just wanted to see if anyone had any success getting that done with Mattamy before (just want to see if it's possible)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:29 am 

Rotating an island is "structural"?
Wow...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Rotating an island is "structural"?
Wow...

Maybe the structural excuse is factual and maybe it's not.

Some builders install more wood I-beams than others and more I-beams = a stronger floor.

Islands are usually long and rectangular in shape so depending on how they are placed on the floors structure they may sit "along" 2 I-beams or "across" as many as 5 I-beams. As well, many islands include sinks, dishwashers, heavy stone counters, and wiring adding additional weight and work changes.

Then again, it's very unfortunate that some Mattamy workers are full of excuses and fake excuses for many things so it's hard to know what to believe.

For example - Light bulbs that are less than 82.7 inches above the floor, like in a cold room for example, need to be protected by a cage. That's an electrical code requirement. One home owner recently told me that a Mattamy rep at his home told him that they used special bulbs that did not require a cage. I had to tell him that the Mattamy rep was incorrect.

And to think - I even took the time / wasted the time, and contacted ESA to confirm that this was BS. The ESA guy asked - "Is it a light bulb". I said yes. He said, "Well it needs a cage".

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:12 pm 

@HHI
I get if they want to charge something (eg for running longer water pipe or something in floor) but to me the term structural is when I am requesting a major change (which many builders will allow)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:30 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
@HHI
I get if they want to charge something (eg for running longer water pipe or something in floor) but to me the term structural is when I am requesting a major change (which many builders will allow)

Ohhh Kay :?