HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:56 pm 

Hi everyone, not sure if the OGs still come to this site or not, but here goes a question re. storm water if anyone has insights. See photo attached.

All the neighbours around me have built gardens in their backyards, which is cutting off storm water flow. I'm the only one not doing such a thing, so I get the crap end of the stick with flooding. The neighbours don't believe they are doing anything wrong.

I've contacted the town, but they have not been helpful. They are contradicting themselves by admitting they take storm water flow seriously and have drone footage of backyards, yet will not enforce, saying it's a "civil matter" for me to work out with my neighbours. That is not a good answer.

My local councillor was helpful in getting the town to respond to me (otherwise they wouldn't have despite us being tax payers), but I don't feel I should have to shell out money for a french drain when I'm the only one following the ly-laws and not blocking storm water. Has anyone ever experienced such an issue, and can I press my case further or have the town pay for it if they won't enforce?

Attachments:
Flood 1.jpg
Flood 1.jpg [ 82.84 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:51 pm 

Its hard to answer without knowing the areas drainage plan. Is the end of your backyard served by a swale ditch that drains water across properties next to you? Goto city hall ask for a copy of drainage plan . Example i did this found out that every 6 properties had a catch basin sewer so our swales all drain to those sewers ‘ that means no one is allowed to block the swale path to each catch basin. Get the plan at city and ask them explain it to you where water is supposed to drain. You have a legal right of way to drain your water where it says it should goto on the plan. Once you have a plan find oit who’s blocking your drainage and talk about it with them show them the plan and show how your flooded . If you get no cooperation put a complaint to the city. They told me you can complain violations of drainage but if they will not assist you your only options is small claims court. Or find a way send your water away example if your drainage is block by a neighbor and they wont assit drain it away another way towards their property or figure something out. Yiu should not have suffer being flooded what happens when u get torrential rain thats not good for property and house build up with water you should be able drain away to city infrastructure

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:26 pm 

Thanks Milton Sam. One drain is at my neighbours and there’s one on the other side 2 houses over. I’ll look for a drainage plan from the town.