HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:52 pm 

HVE site

http://miltononescarpment.com/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:54 pm 

HRV EXTERIOR VENT PROBLEM and Ontario Building Code violations at many Magurn Lane homes.

LOCATION - Magurn Lane homes close to Scott Blvd. The homes with the gutters above the garage doors.

ISSUE - At the rear of these homes above the garage doors, there are the VanEE HRV exterior tandem type vents. See Image below.

These dual vents suck air into the home to the HRV through the bottom of the vent and the exhaust air from the home is expelled out from the top of the vent. The problem with these installations is that the gutters were installed directly under the vents. The manufacturer requires 18" minimum clearance below the vent and the Ontario Building Code clearly states that a 17 3/4" clearance is required above ground level or other "permanent horizontal surfaces."

OBC Rule 9.32.3.12. Outdoor Intake and Exhaust Openings.

(3) The distance from the bottom of an air intake opening to finished ground level or to any nearer and lower permanent horizontal surface shall be not less than 450 mm ( 17 3/4" ) or the depth of expected snow accumulation, whichever is greater.

Therefore, if there is any accumulation of snow in these gutters then your HRV's should not be used.

UPDATE - In April 2010 these HRV Vents where extended beyond the gutters and this issue is now resolved

Andy Shaw - 905 876 4761
http://www.haltoninspections.com

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:13 pm 

Wishing you one and all a very Merry Christmas!

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:48 am 

psssssst... gotta ask.. how's everyone's first floor? cold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:19 am 

Quote:
RobB Posted:

psssssst... gotta ask.. how's everyone's first floor? cold?

I'm not surprised that your home is cold. Make sure your cold air return on the first floor is working. These homes are not a great design for comfort in the winter. In floor heating systems should really be provided for these homes.

However, Mattamy is required to make sure your home is comfortable. Read the guidelines below and do the test to determine if the temperature is inadequate. If it is not, phone Mattamy and insist that they fix the problem.

Quote:
Article Number: 8.9
Condition: INADEQUATE HEATING

Acceptable Performance/Condition: Heating systems shall be capable of maintaining an indoor air temperature of: a) 22°C in living spaces and unfinished basements b) 15°C in crawl spaces; at the design temperature for the geographical location.

Warranty: One-Year – Work and Materials, Two-Year – Delivery and Distribution Systems • Damage resulting from alterations, deletions or additions made by the homeowner and from improper maintenance is excluded from the statutory warranty.

Action: Where the heating system is not capable of maintaining the prescribed temperature, repairs shall be made.

Remarks: Several factors affect living space temperatures: a) Directional orientation – north-facing rooms are generally cooler than south-facing rooms. b) Windows – glass has little insulating value and allows more heat to escape from the room. c) Rooms over garages – have insulated floors that lose heat to the unheated garage below. d) Airflow – free airflow from the supply outlet in a room to a return inlet or undercut door is essential. Generally, a minimum 25 mm space under interior doors above the finished floor covering should be provided. e) Personal preference – personal comfort differs between individuals. Balancing the air delivery system may not completely compensate for the effects of these factors. In determining the temperature of a room, measurements shall be taken in the center of the room at 1,500 mm ( 1.5 meters ) above the floor after the heating system has been running continuously for at least 20 minutes. Heat loss calculations and duct designs assist in determining the furnace size and adequacy of the heating system.

Andy Shaw - 905 876 4761
http://www.haltoninspections.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm 

Michele

I take the 6:48am train every morning. If you want, I'd be glad to give you a lift.

No payment is necessary but I would definitely not say no to cookies ;)

Jen

Post subject: Door Bell & Humidity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:00 pm 

Hi Neighbours ....

Sorry that I gotta post this rather than just walk over but I figure I'll see what everyone says!

First off do any of you find the doorbell chime to be really quiet ... as when someone's ringing the doorbell but your up on your second floor preparing dinner ... you can't even recognize that somone's ringing the doorbell!

Secondly any of you find that your place is really dry .... and as such in need of a central humidifier ... any of you actually get one installed already???

Cheers,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 am 

Yes, the doorbell could have been a bit louder, no way of hearing it from the top floor.

I would not say, though, that our air is excessively dry - on the other hand, the sensitivity to dryness varies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 am 

So we have the 1st house for sale in the hood - http://www.remaxescarpment.com/property ... 0B3FDB26B/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:33 pm 

hey guys

haven't noticed the doorbell issue, but then again that may be a part of the issue itself :p

I do find it a bit dry in the house... we have a small humidifier we were using from our condo and it was ok for that place but it's not nearly enough for our house... good enough for now in our bedroom though

do you guys still notice or notice the first floor being quite a bit cooler? what do you guys set your thermostat at when you're at home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 pm 

We have the same issue in the garage, albeit not to this extreme - only a bit of the tape that connects the drywall came off. Also, Mattamy people were fixing the same type of damage on the third house from you today. Clearly, you're not alone.

PS. How's the new baby coming along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:03 pm 

we have/had the same issue... Mattamy is at our house now as I type this.. wife is at home, says there was a hole that he patched up... I guess we'll see next rain storm if it holds up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:46 pm 

I drove by Magurn today, and the bizarre thing I noticed among some of the homes were that some driveways were so short that one can literally only fit a motorcycle or a SmartCar at most. What is up with this kind of a design?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:59 pm 

Novel idea is that we park in the garage... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm 

I think it is a great idea. Count me in as long as I am not working.

By the way has anyone heard about when Mattamy Flowerfest is for us?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next