HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:03 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Carl wrote:

How about heat vent missing where there is an exterior door? That must be code violation?

Depends. There needs to be a "register" somewhere at the entrance. If you have a basement then try to check below the entrance. There may be a register that is covered. If you are in a three story town then it may be at the ceiling. Covered registers are not a new problem in rushed new home construction. It's understandable if when laying carpet one is forgotten but other missing / forgotten registers are a result of pure negligence.

Here are some fun examples.......

Hey,, look honey,,,, our kitchen cabinet has a built in bun warmer!!?

The Infra Red image on the right shows a hot yellow area under this new homes kitchen cabinet where a supply register was located by mistake. While this may warm buns in the winter, it's better to get this builder to re-locate the floor register to a proper location on the ceramic floor in front of the cabinet.

ImageImage

Lazy tile installer strikes again.

Floor registers are often missing in new homes. Most of the time the carpet installers cover and forget them. Sometimes cabinets are installed over them, and sometimes, like in this case, the ceramic tile installer chose to save some time and just tile over the opening for the register.

This ceramic floor is in a laundry room on an exterior wall and this room has the entrance door to the garage. Without a source of heat this room would be chilly in the winter.

In the Infra Red photo, the orange rectangle is from heat below the tile.

ImageImage

Trying to find out if the building code that requires a heat vent where there is one exterior door. Looks like some exterior doors does not need a heat vent next to it. Am I correct?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:21 pm 

On a positive note a Luncan Corner with siding is going for $579 and they will probably get it :) Love this town

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:30 pm 

lets say it goes for $569 ($10k less than the asking price). Counting the real estate commission, taxes, legal fees, upgrades done to the house, it is watershed. So do not count your chickens!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:44 am 

Unless the agent owns the house. I heard there were a lot of agents buying houses just to flip.

IvanR2712 wrote:
By the way, is it normal to be colder by the fireplace (obviously when it is not on)? I feel that when the fireplace is off there is a cold constant breeze around it and I was wondering if that is normal... Thanks!

I noticed the same thing. I guess its something to ask mattamy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:16 pm 

ShazadMirza wrote:
On a positive note a Luncan Corner with siding is going for $579 and they will probably get it :) Love this town

Asking and getting are two different things.

This model is still available with Mattamy and is going for about $509,000 (including the upgrades). Unless location is a huge factor to someone, common sense would be to buy from Mattamy- since they are still making this model.

I do wish the seller luck though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:55 pm 

surfer2 wrote:
ShazadMirza wrote:

Asking and getting are two different things.

This model is still available with Mattamy and is going for about $509,000 (including the upgrades). Unless location is a huge factor to someone, common sense would be to buy from Mattamy- since they are still making this model.

I do wish the seller luck though.

Time plays an important role here. Its ready to move in. One need to consider this factor.
Yes location matters. According to me the beauty of this area that it is totally filled means no more residential construction except on the other side of the James Snow Parkway. These are the only new homes near highway too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:18 pm 

I asked Mattamy when I purchased in Phase 3 how many realtors were buying up lots - they gave an estimate of 15% - not sure how well they can estimate that. But they did comment most of the realtors purchased town homes - which I wonder if they are the ones for rent right now.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:08 pm 

Location always has something to do with it - Phase 3 has access to the best school zone in Milton and is right beside the highway - the fact that there are units available by a chicken farm (don't mean this offensively) has no barring on the value of phase 3. I paid a premium just for the location as most people did and for great reasons.

I hope they get 600k they deserve it :)

Last edited by ShazadMirza on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 pm 

This was a realtor owned property

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:50 pm 

$600k is wishful thinking. They would be lucky if they get closer to asking price. I am ready to bet with you on this!

Yes this area is better, but you have to look at what is around you as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 pm 

Carl wrote:
$600k is wishful thinking. They would be lucky if they get closer to asking price. I am ready to bet with you on this!

Ha! I won't bet you friend but consider this. I sold my 1400 sq ft townhouse on Derry/Farmstead for $405 last year in February after purchasing - thought I got an amazing deal, since I bought it for around 340 2 years before and it was the highest price sold on the street.. well the townhouses are now going for $460k...

Milton is magic :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 pm 

as to town houses being sold at $460:

affordability is important consideration. Not many can afford houses at $500k plus, so many first time buyers can only afford towns.

you also mentioned new houses at the new site being available, I have to say it is not available as Mattamy is very clever enough to release selected lots and if you go by the sales center, you will notice may be only few available. Last time I was time, only two detached were available.

My feeling is you want to sell your house and try another move, if that is your intention, good luck for you.

You made a great high jump from town to detached, as I mentioned long time ago, you should have gone to big detached as well if you are planning another move soon!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:22 am 

Carl, but how will you draw a line between affordability and non affordability.

I am staying in mississauga where i was looking for semidetach according to my budget last year. But then thought it would be better if i go to milton for detach with the same budget. So i think detach are affordable to a large group too. So towns and detach are equal in demand it only depend upon the type of buyer. After all, all townholders want to move to detach.
How big?
It all depend on personal choice and need. For me rather than buying bigger towns or semis, smaller detach is a good option. Again it is very personal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:40 am 

HSH_105, you have laid down the facts correctly. Affordability is a subjective term and it can only be compared with similar things.

Put it another way, the towns are the low cost option. For big houses, the size of players is small compared to small houses where the number of players is many.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:51 pm 

ShazadMirza wrote:
Carl wrote:

Ha! I won't bet you friend but consider this. I sold my 1400 sq ft townhouse on Derry/Farmstead for $405 last year in February after purchasing - thought I got an amazing deal, since I bought it for around 340 2 years before and it was the highest price sold on the street.. well the townhouses are now going for $460k...

Milton is magic :)

I'll probably stay for a couple of years actually

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next