HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:16 pm 

This is what we had re-done under warranty by Mattamy.
We just ad our flat ceiling all re plastered and painted again by Mattamy. They only painted it and you could see the tape seams on ceiling.
We also found the carpets were of wrong colour code in whole house. After much deliberation they replaced all carpets. Check all you colour codes for tiles, cabinets, carpets, counter tops in each bath room and kitchen. They get them mixed up and put in anything they get their hands on if you don't check codes. Check you design order book for the codes ordered by showroom!!
Also found 5 double glazed windows glass was cracked. Look carefully. My neighbor also found 4 in house.
A light outlet on ceiling was dry walled over on staircase, we had to check plans and have it cut out and light installed.
Check for missing molding around house and roof, and down pipes outside. Mortar cement missing from some bricks.
Check plastic molding in gutters of INSIDE patio door sides is installed to cover screws heads - it was missing.
Water pooling near doorway in garage on both doors near exit of door when snow melts and ice freezes there!!
Dents in metal doors outside and paint runs on doors, had redone.
Faucets/taps lose shake and had tighten up.
Check electrical outlets, some so difficult to plug in 3 pin plugs due to poor quality of electrical outlets - get them all replaced.
Had rubber weather strips around front door replaced.
Had glued gasket in loft entrance way replaced - due to condensation forming.
Had carpets all lifted and wood floors screwed down again. The floors skweeked and shook the house and doors rattled when you walked on them upstairs. They argued but did it!
Had interior door jambs removed and placed tight against the door for proper fitting and stop door rattling.
Check grading in back yard sloping away from foundation and down pipes water run off property.
Wood floors had nail holes, had to have them filled in.
All cabinet doors and draws alignment redone.
Some counters tops chipped on edges - had them fixed by carpenter(they filled in with glue, but I told them to replace it or fix it properly, they did fix all of them nicely - no fillers!
Check for FURNACE filter has aluminium sheet metal closer piece to cover up air filter.
Had missing electrical wire put in for dishwasher was part of rough in - they forgot electrical wiring altogether.
Check rough in for washroom in basement.
Ensure all windows have screens in them that fit.
ALL done under Mattamy Warranty - if you 1 year is not up get it done!
Count all ceiling lights on plans and your ceiling are same counts ! They forget some!
lots of little things had to be done under warranty. Make sure you put your foot down and get it done, even if they don't like it. Its your money! I did!
Check sump pump in SPRING to ensure water does pump out when it rain heavy.
Check NEST thermostat does link to internet, mine died!
Only WARM water coming from tank, so had it adjusted to increase HOT water and water pressure in faucets/taps.
Water HOT tank, will buy out from rental company in summer! Too expensive to rent. call them for cost / price of buyout.
Builder always will tell you its OK that how it is. I told them that it's NOT how it is, so fix it, and they did - eventually but surly!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:17 pm 

Thank you Lancaster for posting this. Thinking of buying in HSV. Glad to hear they honoured the warranty but sorry for your troubles. If we buy I'll be sure to use your list to double check everything!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:40 am 

jeez lancaster, thats a done of stuff that was broken. i'm surprised. what phase are you in?

in my first village home we only had a couple things. the 2 major ones were the balcony posts were not straight and the poor finish on the stairs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:46 pm 

lancaster wrote:

Water pooling near doorway in garage on both doors near exit of door when snow melts and ice freezes there!!

What did Mattamy do about this? I have water melting onto my walkway and freezing at night. I also have huge icicles forming from the eves. To me it looks like ice damming.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:57 pm 

Thanks for this thread. Very helpful

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 am 

elementZ wrote:
lancaster wrote:

What did Mattamy do about this? I have water melting onto my walkway and freezing at night. I also have huge icicles forming from the eves. To me it looks like ice damming.

Element,

it looks like a model problem. I also have the same model like yours, and same problem, melted water falling on the pathway to the house. Did you ask the builder about it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 am 

Carl wrote:
elementZ wrote:
lancaster wrote:

Element,

it looks like a model problem. I also have the same model like yours, and same problem, melted water falling on the pathway to the house. Did you ask the builder about it?

No response from Mattamy. It's like talking to a black hole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 am 

I will be on site and will be talking to the Mattamy rep. Will let you know what they say about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:21 am 

Really good thread with lots of information. A little quite now, I assume most of your issues got fixed, or ... ?

I emailed Mattamy about missing a few light fixture outside the front door and backyard, which I had ordered extra. One was actually installed on the opposite end of the wall at the front, and the other one at wrong location in the backyard. Took me 4 weeks of going back and forth, meeting with builders on the site, screenshots of emails, modified architecture rendering images, and etc. They finally found that it was their mistake.
This whole entire process left me feeling very bitter, because they made me feel like I was trying to steal their $150 light fixture after purchasing a house for over $500k...
I haven't even had my PDI yet...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:51 pm 

Before your PDI take some time to study Tarions Construction Performance Guidelines. It will help you identify issues that need to be found during the PDI.

Just concern yourself with the many items that clearly state that they must be identified at the PDI or if not identified at the PDI then you need to prove the builder caused the problem.