HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:23 pm 

Hi all!
I am trying to get some fencing quotes and just wondering how many of you out there are thinking the same?
Hope to hear from you so we can all get some privacy :)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:40 pm 

i'm in the area. aren't you supposed to wait 2 years or is 1 year enough? i'm also looking to do it this year (1 year 2 months since closing) but thought we should wait until 2 years. any thought?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:44 pm 

I think the reason for waiting is that the town is to assume the land when Mattamy is finished grading.
The worry most people have is having to move fences if grading is incorrect, however the most I hear is that mattamy comes in with a shovel and soil to fix the problems.
I would love to be bale to go outside and have a bit of privacy :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:51 am 

Question....I understood that there was to be a small walkway behind the fences in between the backyards, a way to access the yards (inside) with lawnmowers etc... Is this correct? And if so, how is it all measured properly? I guess when I bought (resale) I assumed the builder would put the back fence so it was properly positioned, and the homeowners would be in charge of the sides.

Doesn't matter to me, just curious how it works??

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:19 pm 

I have seen two ways to do it.

1. For privacy you can make your own fully enclosed fence up to the common walkway. Not sure who would pay then for the fence between the yard directly behind you. More expensive because you bear the whole cost of the rear fence.

2. Just fence in the whole area but leave a door on both sides so people can access their backyard through yours. This way you can split with your neighbours.

I would prefer option 2 because you get to reclaim the space that is common. I believe you just can't obstruct that area.

Closing August 2014

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:35 am 

Not sure I'd want to be entertaining in my back yard and have people walking through, or not sure I'd be comfortable doing the same. I'd feel bad dragging my lawnmower through me neighbours yard when their trying to have a family BBQ :oops: Plus there are a lot of dogs in my neighbourhood, think people might worry about their pets getting loose, or what if people who don't like dogs have to walk through a yard with a dog to access theirs :shock: To many what if's in that scenario I think.

I think if a common walkway is in the builders plan, they should be in charge of the back fences....

This should be an interesting discussion amongst neighbours when it comes up........

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:47 am 

If you decide to forgo the gates you have to build your fence 4 feet off your property line(I was told this this weekend while getting quotes on our side)
With our backyards so small I would never give that 4 feet up!
I would arrange with your neighbours that they knock to let you know if they are going to be using the backyards
the real problem is getting everyone on board!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:58 pm 

Hi ard921, what about if you and your neighbor (sharing backyard only) both leave 2 feet from the property line, this will make 4 feet of space between the fence to access, and each of you can have a gate to enter into your property.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:01 am 

I believe the purchase agreement states everyone has a two foot easement. So that means two feet off your property and two from the one behind. No one should have to give up 4 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:05 pm 

For the easement we just have to allow access through the gates on the fences, at least that is what I am told by the fence guys and the lawyer!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:36 am 

Correct, and I for one don't necessarily have an issue with that route. But that depends on the neighbors. I don't want to have to "ask permission" anytime I want access to my backyard. If I have a free 15min & want to cut my grass, I want to be able to do so.
Causing problems with my neighbors isn't worth the extra 2 feet.
IMO. I firmly believe of the builder intended for a common walkway, and put it in the purchase agreement, the builder should be responsible for erecting the back fence. Unfortunately for me, that was the assumption I was under when I purchased my unit re-sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:17 am 

I wouldn't build the fence unless the town has taken the land from mattamy. If there is a grading issue, mattamy will tear down all the fences to get at the problem and wont put them back up. what a waste of money not worth the headache.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:36 am 

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I am trying to get the ball rolling with fencing in my area and have run into an issue re: Mattamy grading and I want to share my experience with you so you can also be informed. My area is slightly over 2 years old and I have been told that it has still not been signed off by the Town. I called Mattamy who sent a pleasant (but not so helpful) man to my house and informed me that as there ARE issues in my block and they have to come and fix them. If there are fences they will tear them down (and not replace them), and if there are decks or patios that people have built they will NOT touch that property and fix the grading...it now becomes the owners responsibility. So if you are looking to do anything I would call the grading department 905-875-2649 and have someone come out and speak to you at your home and explain the process/issues. I was also informed that they fix the lot grading in order of phase and block number and that the "season" goes right up until December...so if they tell you it will be done this season, ask where they currently are at (phase and block #) and know that you may not have anything done for you until November/December. Happy fencing...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:45 am 

also don't be pressured by neighbours saying "Oh you should get it done too, all of us are doing it". Let them risk their money. We waited until the town said everything was good and then built the fence ourselves. Way cheaper.