HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm 

LovelyThanks4Asking wrote:
elementZ wrote:
In the short term it'll be fine. But 10-15yrs down the road, I would be worried about the plastic degrading and then having pinhole leaks. I've seen it happen before.

It doesn't... it's also nearly impossible to have leaks in the joints as crimp rings are 99.9% fool-proof. If there is a problem, it's fixable in 5 minutes with a $60 tool, some $.50 crimp rings and a new section of pipe... it's actually pretty fun.

I would have to disagree. At my parents house, we came back from a wedding to find 1 foot of water in the basement. The main cold water line had bust, and flooded the basement. 5 minutes and a $60 tool will not reverse the water damage in a basement. We converted as many lines to copper as we could without tearing apart the walls. A year later, a water line started to leak behind the ensuite sink wall. Damage was limited to the kitchen ceiling. We gave up and replaced all the lines in the house to copper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:21 pm 

elementZ wrote:
LovelyThanks4Asking wrote:
elementZ wrote:
In the short term it'll be fine. But 10-15yrs down the road, I would be worried about the plastic degrading and then having pinhole leaks. I've seen it happen before.

It doesn't... it's also nearly impossible to have leaks in the joints as crimp rings are 99.9% fool-proof. If there is a problem, it's fixable in 5 minutes with a $60 tool, some $.50 crimp rings and a new section of pipe... it's actually pretty fun.

I would have to disagree. At my parents house, we came back from a wedding to find 1 foot of water in the basement. The main cold water line had bust, and flooded the basement. 5 minutes and a $60 tool will not reverse the water damage in a basement. We converted as many lines to copper as we could without tearing apart the walls. A year later, a water line started to leak behind the ensuite sink wall. Damage was limited to the kitchen ceiling. We gave up and replaced all the lines in the house to copper.

What should we do ? seems like mattamy provide plastic vs copper. What a rip off :(

We should start a petition :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm 

There's nothing you can do. You signed a contact that said they were using pex...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:46 pm 

I'm not too worried, they claim these pipes can last 50+ years and they've been used in Europe since the 70's (and according to what I read recently - in places like Germany there is more PEX going into new construction than copper now). I've got PEX in my 6 year old Mattamy and don't have any concerns.

I've done fittings for both and it's a lot easier to have a solder joint spring a leak than a PEX crimp. I think the workmanship either way is your weakest link. That's what I'd be most concerned about.

The issue here is more about the copper->PEX transition. That's a trickier problem to solve and needs a different crimp ring, etc - and this is something that this HVAC person wasn't equipped to do. Typically you'd stay one or the other when doing new work so you wouldn't have to worry about this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:44 pm 

lancaster wrote:
Does anyone know if the new Mattamy homes have copper or pex plastic water pipes in Milton phase 7?
Also did anyone try to order a High Efficiency furnace? I would be glad to hear, I am getting whatever is the basic one because I forgot to ask.

New homes must have high efficiency furnaces. Many of them in Mattamy homes are not installed very well but they are efficient. Watch out for leaks inside the furnace and sloppy workmanship at the furnace filter slot area. Some of them are a real hack job.

Yes, pex is king in new home construction. The only place it's not usually used is at hose bibs and at the HOT OUT pipe above the water heater.