HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm 

I live in Phase 15B which is the existing Mattamy residential area where they're building Phase 17.

I can't say there is absolutely no smell. You get a whiff of it on occasion, but the air doesn't constantly smell bad 24/7.

To me, it doesn't smell like a farm either. For the longest time, I thought that there was a water treatment facility nearby. That's the type of scent I smell....faint sewage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:44 pm 

Jeff Dee wrote:
I live in Phase 15B which is the existing Mattamy residential area where they're building Phase 17.

I can't say there is absolutely no smell. You get a whiff of it on occasion, but the air doesn't constantly smell bad 24/7.

To me, it doesn't smell like a farm either. For the longest time, I thought that there was a water treatment facility nearby. That's the type of scent I smell....faint sewage.

That's putting it mildly. That's just like the people who live beside the tracks on the west side of Bronte and claim they hardly hear the trains rumbling by. I live closer to Farmstead and when my bedroom window is open at night, I can hear them. There have been some strong smells from that chicken plant on occasion even where I live and I think it's probably due to the part of the process they're involved in but if you don't spend much time outside, you may not notice it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 pm 

About twice a summer that area smells like the entire town threw up at the exact same time and the puke is sitting in the hot sun for a month.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:25 pm 

I live on Kelman Court which is right across from the chicken farm. We do smell it from time to time and the smell isn't great. Not sure if it's wind direction or if they're cleaning it out. I'd say the majority of time we don't smell it though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:20 pm 

Any views on the odours supposedly emanating from the poultry farm next to phase 17? I went there today just to do some recce and the stench was unbearable. Is it once in a while or everyday occurrence?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 am 

Last edited by phase444 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14 am 

COOP!** hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:20 am 

Last edited by phase444 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:21 am 

For many years, I lived on one of the closest streets to Phase 17 (literally across the street backing onto Yates) and the chicken farm, and the smell was not that bad. You would smell it on occasion during hotter/warmer weather, but it's not a constant odour in the air. Plus you get used to it.

Also, there is a water treatment plant or pump at the corner of LSL/Yates that I would actually smell more often than the chicken farm. Sometimes when driving home with your windows down, you'll get the sewage water aroma :)

Great neighborhood though and for me, realistically the smell was never a problem or affected us.